Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solid CEL, car feels rough, ok to drive 60 miles to repair shop?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 04:05 PM
nealM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solid CEL, car feels rough, ok to drive 60 miles to repair shop?

I have a Solid engine light, car feels rough, I am assuming some or all of the coils are cracked.

Is it ok to drive 60 miles to repair shop, car is out of warranty. 33k miles, 05 Cayenne Turbo.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:17 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you have AAA? Without knowing what you mean by 'rough', the safest bet is flatbed.

If it is cracked coils (do these set off a solid CEL?) then yes, it's OK. You'll likely end up with new plugs and new coils.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:31 PM
nealM
Advanced

No AAA. Car just feels down on power and doesn't have the same smoothness it typically has. I'm not 100% sure it's cracked coils, but the symptoms seem to suggest it.

The engine light is solid, are you saying that cracked coils would set a sold light?
Old 05-14-2009, 10:13 PM
jeremy77
Intermediate

Mine (06 CS) was displaying that too since last Sunday. Exact same symptoms: less power and engine shaking at low RPMs). I also noticed some funny smell when I exited the car. I recall an old post with the "funny smell" symptom too, which turned out to be electrical iirc.

I called the Porsche Road Assistance too, who told me that it should be OK to drive it (even after I told them that I still have 100+ miles to go)... as long as I keep it easy on the gas throttle.

My appointment is this weekend. I'll keep you guys posted. Wish me and my pepper luck .
Old 05-27-2009, 07:10 PM
jeremy77
Intermediate

I got my car back last weekend, and yes, it was the coils that caused the shuddering and solid CEL. The diagnosis indicated couple of coils miss-firing, but the dealership ended up replacing all 8 under warranty.

As for the burning smell, they couldn't really figure it out. But I was hearing 2 different possibilities -- one, catalytic converter over-heating, or two, the burnt smell from the coils. They're leaning toward the second one since they observed, or so they claimed, that one coil bad was pretty burnt.

Either way, I'm glad to have the problems fixed under warranty. Maybe it's just my imagination, but the car does feel more powerful, and the acceleration smoother.

Hopefully nothing else will crop up in the future. In the past, I only had the rear-window-latch issue. I intend to keep this car for a while. It is a great, fun ride.

Quick Reply: Solid CEL, car feels rough, ok to drive 60 miles to repair shop?