Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pepper goes "bump bump bump" in the night...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 01:09 PM
littlejt1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pepper goes "bump bump bump" in the night...

Catchy title eh?

OK, my pepper is a daily driver, and other than coils and an O2 sensor hasn't really been a maintenance issue.

I went to work a couple days ago, nothing unusual...when I left everything was fine, but when I started accellerating on the feeder road there was a loud "bump bump bump (or thump if you're inclined)" coming from what I only assumed at the time was a flat tire...it was pretty loud, so I pulled over to check. All tires were fine, checked pressure, all normal. I took off again slowly and didn't hear anything else. The next morning I took off again, and "bump bump bump", I could better distinguish it seemed to come from below the armrest area and off to the passenger side, again very loud, and you could "feel" it.

Obviously it's parked...I jacked it up and did a quick check of the suspension and other stuff in the wheel wells and see nothing. I'm guessing transmission or something, but any help or suggestions would be great. It seems to shift smoothly (other than the bumps), and the bump does go away after you let off the accellerator and get back in it. ???????
Old 05-14-2009, 01:52 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

shaft, cardan, bushings, rubber.

Just a guess.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:30 PM
littlejt1
Racer

I was thinking driveshaft after reading another post...it's odd, intermittent...very annoying LOL (among other things that come with Cayenne survivorsh...er ownership.)
Old 05-14-2009, 03:09 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

You might try getting underneath the pig (no idea if that is safe or not) and visually examining the shaft......man, that just doens't look right after you type it....never mind, just take it to the dealer and let them do it
Old 05-14-2009, 03:16 PM
littlejt1
Racer

And I was about to go grab my jack... Well I do try and self diagnose as much as I can since I'm "nekkid" (well I have a drivetrain only warranty going on for another year or to 100K miles)

hehe. She's going to the shop tomorrow.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:23 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Drive shaft on mine went. I had the same symptoms. Eventually it just got worse.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:26 PM
wirunner
Pro

Originally Posted by littlejt1
And I was about to go grab my jack... Well I do try and self diagnose as much as I can since I'm "nekkid" (well I have a drivetrain only warranty going on for another year or to 100K miles)

hehe. She's going to the shop tomorrow.
+1 on driveshaft

Although its always hard to compare because I remember it being more of a wumm sound but definitely seemed to come from the middle of the car and you could "feel" it as you say.

Mine was a bit sporadic too (if I read your thread correctly). Seemed to always like to make the most sound on the way to work in the morning (go figure I don't want to go either!).
Old 05-14-2009, 06:38 PM
bigdog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lmaoo,,,,,im in the middle of ordering parts are fixing it ,,,it is the cardan shaft,, center bearing assembly ,,,,lol i have gottin some prices ,,pm me if u want the places i got prices from
Old 05-14-2009, 08:55 PM
JHoffman
Intermediate

The driveshaft can fail a few differnt ways causing a different feel at different times of accel or decel
Old 05-15-2009, 01:32 AM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its your driveshaft, look for this post " OHH BOYY " under yours.
..... good thing its under warranty. just saved yourself a grand.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:33 PM
littlejt1
Racer

Thanks for the input guys! Driveshaft was on my "short list" of problems, but always good to get the consensus of the group on here. It's going to the shop today...
Old 05-20-2009, 12:20 AM
svinaik
Advanced

I had the same issue just few days back. It was cardon (Main drive shaft) gone bad. Seems like this problem is showing up on 2003/4 vehicles. Very strange that Porsche drive shaft are going bad in few years. I had Mercedes driven twice as long and never that issue.

Total cost of repair was around $ 1000 (part is $ 740). I intend to at least lodge a compliant with Porsche though do not anticipate any sympathetic years.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:37 PM
bigdog
Advanced

ok,,i just finished putting in my driveshaft a lil while ago ,,part cost me 629 pus u need to get the 6 stretch bolts also for the rear end. they cost about 5 bucks each. everything was straight foward,, i had a lil problem getting the rear section apart but nothing a lil man power could fix. i tried to change the shaft while on the ground on some jack stands,,,,,wasn't gunna work ,,i then took it to my friends shop and used his lift. i was done in a hr and a half. now she is smooth as a bab's bottom ,,,, if anybody need help ,,or info pm me

P.S- im going to post up a pic of my driveshaft ,,, the center bearing assembly tottally gone,,pics to be posted
Old 05-20-2009, 08:48 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by svinaik
I intend to at least lodge a compliant with Porsche though do not anticipate any sympathetic years.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:09 PM
CaptPegLeg
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think we had a shaft go out under 20K miles in our 05. Not unusual, some kind of genetic flaw that PCNA is well aware of. I wonder, and doubt, if anyone has replaced the replacement shaft.

Quick Reply: Pepper goes "bump bump bump" in the night...