"service now" reset

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 11:27 AM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Michael,
My '04 has not been in the shop since I have owned it except for a failed amplifier that I swapped out with a used ebay unit. What updates would need to be done and more importantly....it ain't broke so do I want to risk fixin' it? What would the updates do?
Old 05-14-2009, 11:47 AM
HD2pct
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JPhillips-998
Michael,
My '04 has not been in the shop since I have owned it except for a failed amplifier that I swapped out with a used ebay unit. What updates would need to be done and more importantly....it ain't broke so do I want to risk fixin' it? What would the updates do?
It's out of warranty, right? If so, I would probably wait for something to go wrong before fixing it, but it's *your* wallet!
Old 05-14-2009, 11:58 AM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

My point was that everything is working and I haven't had any problems so I don't want to push my luck...and I certainly don't want to mess with Larry's spirit...I fear that once I open hood at a dealership, all Larry will send in all of the gremlins....
Old 05-15-2009, 11:40 AM
alsamrob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
This was applicable only to 03 and some 04's, a later version of the firmware removed it. I would say that if it still works then your car has not had all the updates it needs.
Just reset mine using the procedure.

I have had mine in the shop several times, and was told by the SM that the firmware had been updated. If that is not the case, I wonder if this might not have something to do with my recent no audio situation.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:41 AM
alsamrob
Instructor

Michael,
How did you determine it was the amp that failed, rather than a FW/SW update, prior to replacing the amp?
Old 05-15-2009, 11:51 AM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

The dealer did determine this for me. First they said it was the CD changer. I learned on this board that there is a "jumper wire" that dealerships have where they can bypass the CD and go right to the amp. My dealer didn't have the jumper so before they changed the CD I asked that they get the jumper and make sure it wasn't the amp.

Sure enough, it was the amp. They then said that it would be $1,600 to fix. I picked up the car and kept my $1,600. Ebay had an amp for $189.00 guaranteed to work. Bought it, installed it (about 2 hours) and has worked fine ever since. The most difficult and time consuming work is getting the rear trim pieces off.

Now that I have done it, I think you could just remove some of the trim that immediately surrounds the amp and get the job done without the complete removal of the pieces.

If you can find an amp, I might buy it and see if that's the problem. If not simply resell it and look for a CD changer. That said, there are much smarter folks on this board that may have a different opinion.

Good luck.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:13 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

The dealer did determine this for me. First they said it was the CD changer. I learned on this board that there is a "jumper wire" that dealerships have where they can bypass the CD and go right to the amp. My dealer didn't have the jumper so before they changed the CD I asked that they get the jumper and make sure it wasn't the amp.

Sure enough, it was the amp. They then said that it would be $1,600 to fix. I picked up the car and kept my $1,600. Ebay had an amp for $189.00 guaranteed to work. Bought it, installed it (about 2 hours) and has worked fine ever since. The most difficult and time consuming work is getting the rear trim pieces off.

Now that I have done it, I think you could just remove some of the trim that immediately surrounds the amp and get the job done without the complete removal of the pieces.

If you can find an amp, I might buy it and see if that's the problem. If not simply resell it and look for a CD changer. That said, there are much smarter folks on this board that may have a different opinion.

Good luck.
Thanks for the update.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:44 AM
alsamrob
Instructor

Ok, so the reset success was short lived. Started the Pepper up today, and "service now" popped up. I guess I really was updated
Old 05-18-2009, 11:55 AM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Strange beasts they are. Mine is still off and I have been told by the dealer that I am fully up to date on all updates. Who knows...
Old 05-18-2009, 11:56 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sure enough, it was the amp. They then said that it would be $1,600 to fix. I picked up the car and kept my $1,600.
I hope they were wearing a mask and holding a gun when they came up with that number.
FWIW, that amplifier is no longer in production.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:01 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Actually when the service writer dropped the car off I told him that 1,600 was a crazy number and his comment was something along the lines of "well it probably wouldn't have been that much but I wanted to build some diagnosis time in...we could probably do it for $1,200".

What is with that?
Old 05-18-2009, 12:23 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Again, you can only say something like that if you're wearing a mask and holding a gun.

I don't even want to know what they charge for the amplifier alone....knowing exactly what it costs to build.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:00 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

Originally Posted by ltc
Again, you can only say something like that if you're wearing a mask and holding a gun.

I don't even want to know what they charge for the amplifier alone....knowing exactly what it costs to build.
Don't read this post if you don't want to know.
$795 for the amp from Sunset. So probably in the $1k range at the dealer.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
This was applicable only to 03 and some 04's, a later version of the firmware removed it. I would say that if it still works then your car has not had all the updates it needs.
Mudman is correct. Just started getting the
"service in 2500 miles" message on my '05. The above fix did not work. Anybody know a remedy for this version of the software?
Old 05-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche 25th
Mudman is correct. Just started getting the
"service in 2500 miles" message on my '05. The above fix did not work. Anybody know a remedy for this version of the software?
If you can make it by Matt Shaw's shop sometime he has the Durametric (sp ?) software that will reset the service indicator. He has the pro version, no restrictions on # of vehicles.

Quick Reply: "service now" reset