Sponsored by:

mobridge install experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 02:11 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default mobridge install experience

The install went pretty straight forward in terms of the head unit and connecting the fiber optics. I took the cover off the passenger foot-well but did not need to take the glove compartment box off as I could see and pass the fiber optic cables to the head unit with the aid of a piece of wire.

The instructions are not very clear with regards to the 'loop' that may be required at the CD changer in the rear. There's a picture in the instructions and other references in another thread about removing a bunch of trim to get the CD changer out and hooking up the fiber optic 'loop' in place of the CD changer (and that the removal of the trim will take a couple of hours). I looked up around the CD changer and saw a fiber optic attachment just above the CD changer which I unhooked and put the supplied fiber optic loop onto, but discovered that this connection above the CD changer is for the AMP. I took the loop out/reconnected the AMP after thinking about it for a while when my head unit said 'error - AMP not connected' or something like that.... When this was reconnected everything worked fine - you don't need to do anything to the CD changer/fiber optics in the rear - everything stays in situ at the CD Changer.

Fed the ipod connecter through the trim at the foot well into the center console for the shifter, used the dremel to cut a hole into lower center armrest storage area.

Blue tooth phone/ipod works as advertised, the ipod control takes some getting used to but sound quality is very good.

Sorry didn't take any pictures during the install.
Attached Images    
Old 05-10-2009, 07:11 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you occasionally get errors on start up, its caused by the CDC still being in circuit.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Ahh, will look out for the 'error's, haven't seen them since I got it working Thurs evening. But I'll know what I need to do if they do show up! thanx
Old 05-10-2009, 01:31 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the same set up in my 2005 CTT. I have had a few of thosse errors ... how do you get rid of them???

thanks.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:02 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Remove and bypass the CDC
Old 05-10-2009, 05:18 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

How do Ido that?
Old 05-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

How often do these errors without removing the cdc occur? Does taking out the cdc "cd tray" do anything/turn it off? Also the electrical connection for the cdc seems to be reachable behind the unit, does just unplugging it help? Looked at the fuse assignments and the fuse that goes to the cdc also goes to the DVD nav so probably not good to remove that...
Old 05-10-2009, 07:51 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you unplug (power to) the CDC, the headunit will not be very happy, sinice you will essentially kill that node on the ring, since the FOT will be without power and light will not be transmitted out of the CDC to the next node on the ring.

This is the reason for the fiber optic bypass.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:54 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

What happens is the MOST system gets confused on start up. The system expects only 1 cdc, since the Mobridge simulates a cdc if you leave the real one in it has 2. when you get the error you have no changer at all until you completely restart the system, overnight sometimes.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:34 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

The PCM and CDR's used to support 2 'CDC' devices on the ring, but then someone declared that it should support only one....yeah, taking out some code really saves money.

Of course there were some who tried to do the right thing, but Marketing and Accouting have spies and the battle was lost.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:59 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Hi Lewis,

How are you? I have not heard from u in a while. I hope all is well.

AA
Old 05-10-2009, 11:01 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by CarreraCup03
Hi Lewis,

How are you? I have not heard from u in a while. I hope all is well.

AA
I'm not dead yet, although my doctor might have a different opinion.
Soon enough I'll be having dinner with Larry....not really sure how I'm going to handle the whole "sleeping with his wife" thing....hopefully he wont' ask and I won't have to tell....yeah, that ought to work.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:41 AM
Preeble
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW - I had the bluetooth mobridge installed in my 2008 CS w/nav earlier in the week at the dealer. They put it in the passenger footwell and routed the ipod and aux jacks through the glovebox. I couldn't be happier with it. Great sound quality from the ipod and the phone functionality works great.

The little microphone dangle is located up by the mirror and is not obtrusive at all. Very pleased with this unit and I don't miss the CDC at all - who needs it when you have an ipod? Only thing that could be better is PCM v3 (I think).
Old 07-31-2009, 11:43 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Cool
Old 11-21-2009, 01:21 AM
egdeferrante
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed the Itronic in my 008 Cayenne with the bluetooth/ iPod but right after install my engine light went on it did not have a multi disk player. Is it possible that the install has caused the engine light to go on.

Quick Reply: mobridge install experience