Sponsored by:

Parking Brake Return Shock Dampener

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 03:25 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Parking Brake Return Shock Dampener

Went in for oil change, brake fluid flush, and the common parking brake light staying on. Unlike the last time in which the whole parking brake assembly had to be replaced, Porsche has come to its senses and came out with the idea of just replacing the bad part!

part no. 955-423-389-00

According to my service advisor, it's just a 20 mins job so for the DIY'er or those of you out of warranty, I'm sure this sounds better than the previous solution.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:46 AM
blazing928
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi
I am going to help my friend do his on the weekeend.
He tried but said you had to work blind.
Has any one done this and can give me some tips?

thanks
Old 05-06-2009, 10:11 AM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's good news! I'm in the habit of just tucking my toe under the pedal and lifting slightly when I release the brake to make the light go out. I may not be able to convince the VA safety inspection guys that this is "OK" when my next inspection is due this summer, so the part number info is welcome, as well as any tips from someone who tries this as a DIY.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

20 minutes???? I just bought this and installed in in about 2 minutes. Very easy to do and was worth it, no more having to re-release the brake each time.

David
Old 05-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Had the same problem and the dealer fixed under warranty.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:41 AM
blazing928
Rennlist Member

Ok so I did the job, not too hard at all.

Please note this was on a 2005 RH drive car. I can't imagine LHD would be different.

You will need a torch and a mirror, pliers, rubber, small screw driver to lift the clip.

Look at the new one and gently lift the fixing clip, but do not remove it.
Note which direction it goes.

Stick your head in the foot well and look at where the gas strut is. Using torch and mirror pry up the catch and remove the strut. I did the end up under the dash first.

Now fit the dash end first, this was the thicker body end of the gas strut, push the clip on to hold it.

Then I used some pliers, and maybe you could use some rubber to protect the shaft , to hold and slightly compress the shaft so the cup end goes over the ball. You can actually push it on with out opening the clip slightly. You only need to compress the shaft a few mms.

I found I needed the pliers as the new strut was too hard to comprees with my fingers and if pushed with a screw driver the cup twisted. Holding it with pliers, I could use two hands to compress he shaft and hold it at the correct angle.

You could most likely just as easy reverse that and put the pedal end on first and be able to pull the strut down to compress it.
May be some one can try the experimen!

Thats it.

regards
Nigel
The following users liked this post:
Jess Maxwell (06-15-2020)

Quick Reply: Parking Brake Return Shock Dampener