CD changer problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CD changer problem

On my way to VIR this past Sunday, the CD changer suddenly stopped playing, and the Nav system went into restart mode. Nav came back up fine, but I received an error message on the screen: "System Error: CD Changer Not Available." I get the message every time I start the car and turn on the PCM.

I haven't checked the fuse yet, but when I take out the CD magazine and then reinsert it, I hear the changer cycling through the loaded CDs, so I figure it is getting power. I have noticed over the last couple years that the CDC-4 has gotten balky about playing discs loaded in certain slots on the magazine, but it has always played at least 3-4 of them. So, I'm thinking now the unit has just basically died. Single discs play in the head unit OK, although I was getting some skipping (I'll clean the CDs and retry.) I suppose there could also be a faulty fiber optic connection, but I'm not sure how to test for that myself. Can the dealer quickly diagnose FO problems, or would I be paying them $125/hr to go through a lengthy trial and error process?

After searching the archives, it looks like replacing the CDC-4 is a PITA because of all the trim panels that have to be removed. And I don't think I want to buy a CDC-4 if I'm not sure the problem isn't a FO connection.

Would the best bet for me right now be to get a mObridge installed? Looks like I missed out on the group buy window, but is that still the best replacement choice on an 04 CS with PCM 2?
Old 04-22-2009, 07:21 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

could be or could be MOST connectivity
Old 04-22-2009, 07:56 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
could be or could be MOST connectivity
Can the connectivity be verified with PIWIS?

Quick Reply: CD changer problem