Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me install my new steering wheel!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 04:52 PM
DocU
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Help me install my new steering wheel!

I just received my new carbon fiber/alcantara steering wheel and need help installing it (see below) on my 2008 Cayenne GTS with manual trans. I have no clue on where to begin. If it's too involved I'll take it to the dealer, but I'm more of a do-it-yourself person. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Does anyone know of a good carbon fiber shift **** for the Cayenne? Porsche makes them for their other models but not the Cayenne. Can the other model shift ***** be used in the Cayenne?

Name:  IMG_01001.jpg
Views: 4246
Size:  136.4 KB
Old 04-13-2009, 07:57 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you can do it...............just make sure your wheel is dead straight before you take off the old one or you will be greiving. You need to use a small flat head to release the airbag.
turn the wheel 90 degrees. Use the flat head inserted into the hole that is exposed on the top of the steering wheel, to push the locking tab away from center.
You will need to hold the air bag in the unlocked position. turn 180 degrees and un lock the other side.
Make sure your wheel is straight, remove key and un plug air bag. loosen the center bolt, belive its a m12 triple square. swap steering wheels. Install is pretty straight forward
Old 04-13-2009, 10:35 PM
DocU
Track Day

Where do I place the flat head in relation to the airbag and how much force is needed to release it?
Do you turn the steering wheel with the ignition on?
Do I need to disconect the battery before I begin to prevent accidental deployment of the airbag?
Do I remove the 3-6-9 o'clock accent tabs with the flat head?

Anyone have any pictures of this process? The last thing I want to do is cause damage.

Thanks
Old 04-14-2009, 12:27 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

theres a small hole in the back of the steering wheel would be at 3 and 9 o clockwit hthe wheel straight.
If you turn the wheel 90 degrees you will find the hole on the back of the steering wheel just about the colum cover. Do not remove any trim. You can remove un hook the battery (probaly should) but uring the steering wheel is kinda hard and it has been done with the car running. IF you flip over your new wheel you should see the holes im taling about they are about 5 inches apart. You are releaseing a spring lock, you can see where it locks into on the new wheel.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:21 PM
DocU
Track Day

Just how is the airbag released?

I've pushed down on the 4 plastic tabs located just below the "top flange" of the airbag so they are disengaged from the metal. However this does not release the airbag. I don't wish to be pull to hard or push the tabs too much.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:22 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

There is a metal spring on the back of the air bag that locks into the groves on the steering wheel. it really is rather difficult, the first few times. Extend the steering wheel towards you and down. Insert the screw driver horizontal and at a 100 deg angle to the the wheel (slightly down) push in and down on the screw driver, you should feel the spring move and the bag can be pulled forard a 1/8-1/4 inch

Quick Reply: Help me install my new steering wheel!