Sponsored by:

Fake Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009 | 09:51 PM
ilan2
1st Gear

Question Fake Turbo S

New lurker and first time poster.

So I'm just now starting to research the Porsche Cayenne and I came across this car...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...3A1|240%3A1308

On the rear, isn't the lettering off? Which brings me to my first question for you guys. How do you distinguish between a turbo and a turbo s, besides the S on the back and the turbo s lettering on the ac control panel? The obvious answer is to test drive the two but sometimes that isn't possible.

Would a carfax say if it's an s or not?

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2009 | 10:23 PM
rombrigs
Intermediate

Judging from the front brakes, it's probably real. -Roger
Old 04-01-2009 | 11:19 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

The lettering does look spaced out a little more than I'd expect, but I'm not sure. Can you look it up by the VIN? Maybe you can provide the VIN to your local dealer and have them check for you.
Old 04-02-2009 | 12:29 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Turns out a number of people make fake 'S's. I know of two local turbos were owners put an 'S' badge on. Difficult to tell the difference unless you have a real and fake one side by side so you can look at the front brakes. If they have an original window sticker, it should say.
Old 04-02-2009 | 12:47 AM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

From: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

The rear trunk could have had a respray but to me it's not a Turbo S because almost all TS had the techno wheels on it.Ask them for the option sticker in the tire well in rear and post up here for us to see, if possible.
Old 04-02-2009 | 12:56 AM
porsche52
Board Certified Porsche Trauma Surgeon
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Looking at the Pics, I would say YES based on the rear brakes, the rear brake pads have big aluminum vibration dampners on them, the standard turbo does not (smaller and round) not big and triangle shaped! If those ugly chrome wheels were not in the way you could see that is has the big 2-piece rotors up front, I can tell by the rotor face that it does have the big breaks though. If you can see or feel the intercoolers through the front grill, the Turbo S will have larger fins on the intercoolers (just like the turbo s, x50 996's). The rear badge is all screwed up, it is to low and the "S" is to far to the right. But I am 99.9% shure that it is a Turbo S. Call the your local dealer, supply them the VIN and they should be able to verify in a matter of seconds.
Old 04-02-2009 | 10:49 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Nice looking truck, but wheels look very tacky to me. In my opinion no porshce should have chromed rims unless it's a 356/early 911/912/914 with the chrome hubcaps or wheels. How gaudy looking. I'd see if they would be willing to do an even "trade" for "standard" rims from another turboS and they can try to sell the next guy on the "upgraded wheels" on the swap partner....

Years ago I bought a used STS and the salesman was going on and on about how the rims and the vogue tires on the car were several thousand dollars- car was otherwise mint. We worked out a price and last thing I said was I will close the deal on one condition that the tires/rims are swapped out for stock rims/tires. The guy thought I was nuts due to his percieved value of the aftermarket tacky stuff, but essentially I wouldn't do the deal otherwise. The stock rims were with the chrome option, but on a caddy it didn't look so bad as a turbo S cayenne OK, I'm done Don't take my opinion seriously if you like the rims - I'm half kidding around for fun. To each his/her own taste wise
Old 04-02-2009 | 10:51 AM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

It actually is a real Turbo S based on the VIN in the ad.
Old 04-02-2009 | 12:55 PM
ozr
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by BSL
It actually is a real Turbo S based on the VIN in the ad.
...with the Lexus dealer "reattached" rear CayenneTurboS label...

OZRacing
Old 04-02-2009 | 01:15 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ozr
...with the Lexus dealer "reattached" rear CayenneTurboS label...

OZRacing
No arguing that the badging is off... The model number is 9PAAJ1 as opposed to F1 for the "base" Turbo.
Old 04-02-2009 | 03:13 PM
mattjtaylor50
Intermediate

give aways that it is a fake:

- black instrument panel. the turbo s has a white back ground
- front climate control: the cover is flipped down. obviously hiding turbo s scripting
- S lettering on back is too spaced

car does have turbo s styling:
- sports style tips
- aluminum front bumper insert
Old 04-02-2009 | 04:15 PM
porsche52
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mattjtaylor50
give aways that it is a fake:

- black instrument panel. the turbo s has a white back ground
- front climate control: the cover is flipped down. obviously hiding turbo s scripting
- S lettering on back is too spaced

car does have turbo s styling:
- sports style tips
- aluminum front bumper insert
Sorry Matt, but you are wrong, that is a REAL Turbo S!!! The brakes dont lie my freind. Who the hell is going to install the big brakes$$$ on a original turbo just to say it is a turbo s? NOBODY!!
Old 04-02-2009 | 04:29 PM
mattjtaylor50
Intermediate

true about the brakes. that would be the last thing someone would try to fake

but the other points i mentioned make this a "sketchy" turbo s!
Old 04-02-2009 | 04:39 PM
porsche52
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

White faced gauges were NOT standard on the Turbo S, so the only thing that is out of place is the rear insignia and those fugly chrome wheels. I will check the VIN in PPN here at the dealer in a liitle bit to put this debate to bed.
Old 04-02-2009 | 04:51 PM
mattjtaylor50
Intermediate

likely the badge fell off and the dealer/person was sloppy putting on a replacement

i am betting it is turbo s now

Quick Reply: Fake Turbo S