Reverse camera and in car DVD option

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Reverse camera and in car DVD option

So after some research to add reverse camera and in car DVD solution this is what I keep on finding.

http://www.tvandnav2go.com/

The unit that will enable that function will cost $400, still need to add the camera or a DVD source.

Comments?
Old 03-30-2009, 11:12 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hmmn....cute.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:29 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts

You could always try to retrofit the factory backup camera. I love mine.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:31 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Toby, I read on here that the factory option will cost in upwards of 1k.... is that true?
Old 03-31-2009, 10:05 AM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

This is cost effective, but it is really bypassing the video input on the back of the PCM, and feeding it inside of the PCM. It seems like the Nav-TV solution is cleaner without the need to open up your PCM for the internal board and then use that "funky" remote control.

Toby, can you post some pics of yours? Did you use all factory items?
Old 03-31-2009, 07:49 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Fortunately, my reversing camera IS the factory setup and WAS done during manufacture of the car. It works great for hooking up my trailer and insuring I don't run over our dog as I back out of the garage.

With that said, I should acknowledge that my earlier post was (as some would say) tongue in cheek. If you look back over my legacy of posts here in the Cayenne forum, I actually TRIED to update my first 04 Beta model from halogen headlights to Bi-Xenon. I also was the FIRST Cayenne owner to get a factory CD Changer installed AT THE DEALER after purchase. Oh, and I am one of the very few, if not the only Beta owner to get the factory phone prep kit installed and had REAL Bluetooth support using the THB Bury system before someone sued the daylights out of a certain automobile manfacturer for what I can only assume were royalty issues (I have NO KNOWLEDGE - pure supposition on my part).

With all that said, I have learned more about Cayenne electronics that I ever care to admit. And trust me when I say this, you DO NOT WANT TO ATTEMPT RETROFITS with this vehicle. You will spend ungodly amounts of money and be underwhelmed with the results (although I *DID* like being the only user running FACTORY BLUETOOTH in an 04 Cayenne S).

It's probably possible to get the aftermarket NAV-TV unit working - but I've dealt with those guys too, and they scare the daylights out of me at times. FWIW, just turn your head around and back up the old fashioned way. OR, buy your next Cayenne with a reversing camera.

Sorry to be a downer here.

Toby
Old 03-31-2009, 08:43 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Fortunately, my reversing camera IS the factory setup and WAS done during manufacture of the car. It works great for hooking up my trailer and insuring I don't run over our dog as I back out of the garage.

With that said, I should acknowledge that my earlier post was (as some would say) tongue in cheek. If you look back over my legacy of posts here in the Cayenne forum, I actually TRIED to update my first 04 Beta model from halogen headlights to Bi-Xenon. I also was the FIRST Cayenne owner to get a factory CD Changer installed AT THE DEALER after purchase. Oh, and I am one of the very few, if not the only Beta owner to get the factory phone prep kit installed and had REAL Bluetooth support using the THB Bury system before someone sued the daylights out of a certain automobile manfacturer for what I can only assume were royalty issues (I have NO KNOWLEDGE - pure supposition on my part).

With all that said, I have learned more about Cayenne electronics that I ever care to admit. And trust me when I say this, you DO NOT WANT TO ATTEMPT RETROFITS with this vehicle. You will spend ungodly amounts of money and be underwhelmed with the results (although I *DID* like being the only user running FACTORY BLUETOOTH in an 04 Cayenne S).

It's probably possible to get the aftermarket NAV-TV unit working - but I've dealt with those guys too, and they scare the daylights out of me at times. FWIW, just turn your head around and back up the old fashioned way. OR, buy your next Cayenne with a reversing camera.

Toby
Thanks Toby. I did a search and I saw that you and ltc have been going at this since 2003. Hopefully we will be able to get something working. My 2005 CTT was bought used. It came with some great options, but not the reverse camera, which in looking at it seems to be one of the easier ones to retrofit since most aftermarket companies have had a long time now to understand MOST and CAN. Thanks again.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Except for the fact that a reversing camera/PCM has little to nothing to do with MOST and/or CAN.

It's times like this where it would probably be helpful if I did own a pig.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:19 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

!

That (!) was just for you, good buddy!
Old 03-31-2009, 11:22 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Toby
This post felt like old times. Very strange actually....... I really DID plot out the wiring diagram for my 1968 911S today. Very surreal.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:51 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Toby, thanks for the honest comment. My wife was still bugging me about the reverse camera today. So I think I am going to go with the tvandnav2go option. Have anyone here dealt with them or used their products before?
Old 04-01-2009, 04:13 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

!

That (!) was just for you, good buddy!
Sorry, I was just admiring the OEM Litronics upgrade for my wife's 993 Targa.
Quick, simple, easy plug and play OEM Xenon upgrade.
What were we talking about again ?
Old 04-01-2009, 09:44 AM
JW3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Except for the fact that a reversing camera/PCM has little to nothing to do with MOST and/or CAN.

It's times like this where it would probably be helpful if I did own a pig.

Even mad scientist keep cannisters of deadly virus around for study. Go for it !

Quick Reply: Reverse camera and in car DVD option