Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 01:09 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mattjtaylor50
people fail to realize how fast and agile these pigs are and are usually left in the dust
OK, so in the pic, you can clearly see a Turbo S pig, followed by a Turbo pig, a GTS pig, a S pig and bringing up the rear, the V6 pig.

A Porsche marketing family portrait if I ever saw one...
Old 03-13-2009, 01:48 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

**** on 'em.

My pepper is friggin' wicked. And, my pepper smells like victory, too.

Smoke in her... she likes it.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:59 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A rose by any other name ...

would still wallow in mud and snort a lot.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:38 AM
sigs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Though I relish my trivial role as forum contrarian (one of them, anyway), my vehicle is a PIG. Don't get me wrong. I LIKE my pig. Occasionally I HATE my pig. Often I LOVE my pig (now that didn't sound quite right, did it?) But "Pepper" is a good name for a small dog that's mostly black or for an activity during baseball warm-ups, NOT for an SUV. IMHO, the Cayenne is a stupid name in the first place (though not nearly as stupid as Cayman), and any derivative thereof only makes it worse - fit only for the mall-crawlers. Mine goes in the mud, is pretty much clean only if it gets rained on, is surprisingly fast and agile for its size, sucks fuel like there's no tomorrow, and doesn't much give a damn what others think about it. It's a PIG.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:51 AM
the head
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Doesn't matter to me what anyone else calls it. I prefer pepper but this vehicle is one heavy pig.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:16 PM
bbcobby
Intermediate

Though I relish my trivial role as forum contrarian (one of them, anyway), my vehicle is a PIG. Don't get me wrong. I LIKE my pig. Occasionally I HATE my pig. Often I LOVE my pig.
Okay, y'all don't laugh too hard. I could never refer to my Cayenne as a Pig. I hate pigs, they're mean, terrible, bad animals that will eat anything. I had a bad experience with a real pig that chased me, head butted my legs and tried to bite me. It scared the living daylights out of me! I haven't felt guilty about eating pork since. So, I call my Cayenne by the name I gave him -- never pepper and never ever pig.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

I'm going with 9PA
Old 03-14-2009, 09:26 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

We just love our pig,....I mean pepper.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:06 AM
randu
Intermediate

Default Another Pig

When pigs fly!

3/11/2009 - NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE, Nev. -- At Red Flag 09-03, if you can't soar with the Eagles, you might as well root around with the Pigs.

Six Royal Australian Air Force F-111C multirole fighters - affectionately known down under as "Pigs" - and their aircrews are flying "Blue Force" missions at Red Flag, making use of the swing-wing F-111's exceptional range, endurance and versatility to support the three-week air campaign. But the F-111 was known as the "Aardvark" while in U.S. Air Force service because of its long snout, so why the porcine name change?

According to the official RAAF Web site, the "Pig" moniker comes from the F-111's "ability to hunt at night with its nose in the weeds, thanks to its terrain-following radar." However, RAAF Wing Commander Micka Gray, the commander of No. 6 Squadron and the Red Flag detachment commander here, has the real story. "We call it the Pig, of course, because there's no such thing as an aardvark in Australia," he deadpanned.

The name is a term of endearment and not meant to describe the airplane's capabilities, Wing Commander Gray hastened to add. "It's not because of its flying characteristics, it is a very good aircraft to fly," he said.

Several of the Australian F-111s at Red Flag are veterans of the U.S. Air Force and were based at Nellis in the 1960s as part of the 474th Tactical Fighter Wing. One of the former Nellis F-111s here with the RAAF made history during the conflict in Southeast Asia when it flew the last official combat mission of that long war. Tail number 113 deployed from Nellis to Takhli Air Base, Thailand, in 1972. On Aug. 15, 1973, Col. Thomas Lacy and Maj. Bill Erickson flew the F-111 to hit a target in Cambodia only minutes before the official bombing halt ended combat operations in the theater.

While the F-111s are old, they still command both respect and affection, said Wing Commander Gray, who has been flying the F-111 for more than 20 years. "The F-111 has an incredibly strong following among the Australian public," he said. "There's an emotional attachment to the aircraft, it's been one of our main deterrence assets."

The RAAF will retire their F-111s in 2010, so this their last Red Flag, the wing commander said.

Many here will mourn the passing of the Pig, including Fred Whitehead, a computer operator for a Red Flag contractor here. "I was an F-111 crew chief at Mountain Home (AFB, Idaho) from 1976 to 1994," Mr. Whitehead said.

"I worked on two of the F-111s here for Red Flag, including (tail number) 113," he said. "I actually went on a (temporary duty assignment) with 113 in 1978 to MacDill (AFB, Fla.). I loved working on them. I thought they were great aircraft."

Mr. Whitehead received a singular honor from the RAAF on Thursday, when he launched tail number 113 for its Red Flag mission as the aircraft's crew chief. "The experience was flat-out fantastic, awesome," Mr. Whitehead. "Words can't express what it felt like."

The F-111, originally developed both to meet Air Force requirements for a tactical fighter-bomber and the Navy's need for an air superiority fighter, was delivered to the Air Force beginning in 1967. The Navy version was cancelled before production began.

The F-111 was the first production aircraft with variable-sweep "swing wings," the first to have terrain-following radar that allowed the aircraft to penetrate enemy airspace at low levels and high speeds, and the first with a crew escape module rather than ejection seats. The F-111 was one of the few Air Force aircraft to have no official name during its service.

Nicknamed the "Aardvark" by crews, that name was not made official by the Air Force until the F-111's retirement ceremony in 1996. The Royal Australian Air Force is the only other air force to operate the F-111.

Randy
Old 03-15-2009, 08:46 PM
sigs
Racer

Don't forget the A-10 Thunderbolt II (aka "Warthog," aka "Hog") that is near and dear to the hearts of countless U.S. ground troops for its capabilities in close air support. It is heavy, it is ugly, it doesn't do "anything" better than some other aircraft, but it does "everything" it needs to do better than anything else. Now, if I could just mount one of those 30 mm Avengers on my Cayenne...
Old 03-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sigs
Now, if I could just mount one of those 30 mm Avengers on my Cayenne...
That would definitely take care of the "left lane bandits" we all despise!

Old 03-16-2009, 08:19 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My pig is very fast and that's just how I like it.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:27 AM
Craig B
Intermediate

I'm sure you all realise that Lewis Carroll anticipated this discussion when writing Alice in Wonderland? (For the confused, have a look at the chapter entitled 'Pig and Pepper'...)
Old 03-26-2009, 01:16 AM
bbcobby
Intermediate

"left lane bandits"
What are left lane bandits? Are they the fools who get in the left lane and drive 60 while talking on their cell phone, eating breakfast, putting makeup on or reading a book without even noticing that they're stopping traffic?
Old 03-26-2009, 08:40 AM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bbcobby
What are left lane bandits? Are they the fools who get in the left lane and drive 60 while talking on their cell phone, eating breakfast, putting makeup on or reading a book without even noticing that they're stopping traffic?
Yes, except many of them are doing less than 60 mph.

Quick Reply: It's a Pepper not a pig!!!