Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seeking you're opinion.... Cayenne?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 11:35 PM
faster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question seeking you're opinion.... Cayenne?????

i have a lady friend that is looking to purchase a new suv to replace her Jeep. she has had and has several 911's. the dealer offered her $12k off sticker today off a couple of their 2008 standard Cayennes. she is also looking at a audi and the lexus. her work involves a lot of travel. i'd like to get you're opinion on whether its a good choice over the others and pro's and cons of the Cayenne. thanks!!
Old 03-08-2009, 04:04 AM
bbcobby
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's kind of you to ask on her behalf. Over the past 8 years, I have had a Lexus RX300 and an RX330. I thought they were the perfect balance of luxury, comfort, and service. About two years ago, my husband bought a 911 and I just didn't really "get" it. That was until this December when it was time for me to get a new car. My husband and the agent that assists us with our automobile transactions had talked and located a grey '08 Cayenne S at a local dealer and they had to make me drive it by telling me that we'd look at another Lexus if I would just test drive this car first. I had test driven one of the beta Cayennes years ago and didn't like it at all so I didn't think I was going to like this one; however, the improvements that were made in the last redesign made it a wonderful car and I immediately fell in love. It was in our garage two days later.

It's performance is light years beyond that of the Lexus. My S is comfortable, stable, has a lovely engine sound and can get up and move. I've driven the standard Cayenne without the sport package when I've taken mine in for service and I don't like it ay all. It's drive is much more sluggish and underpowered like the Lexus. I didn't love that the price was higher than the Lexus, but we were able to secure a much better overall deal with our local P-car dealer than Lexus was willing to even entertain. Deals were close enough that the additional money to get the Porsche just made sense.

I don't know anything about the Audi SUV, but if I had a choice between the Lexus RX350 and a Cayenne S, I'd definitely buy the Cayenne S again. I love it! It's rocked my world in a good way.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:40 AM
richc
Pro

When I was looking for a winter car, I tested Mercedes, Lexus, Audi and the Cayennes. I settled on the Cayenne and am very happy. Regarding the $12k off on an '08, she should be able to get very close to that discount on the '09 and not be buying a car that is already almost 2 years old. I've had a dozen 911's over the past 30 years and the only thing I find in common with a Cayenne and a 911 is the badge on the hood. These things are not sport cars and IMHO have nothing in common with them, if she expecting that she'll be disappointed.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:48 PM
faster
Rennlist Member

hi, thanks for the replies, surprised at how many view and dont reply, hopefully not a sign that its not an overwelmingly favorite.

bbcobby, i recommended the S too, we'll see, i was looking at the warranty threads above, hopefully most of those issues were solved before 08-09 MY

richc, i know she isnt expecting that type of comparison. living in the midwest with the snow and icey weather we have, she is looking for a dependable, comfortable and user friendly suv for her daily commute. i believe she has had an average repore with her jeep, but as you know we tend to be pulled to the "P" brand we love, good or bad.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Volvo XC60, Acura MDX, another Lexus... If her work requires a lot of travel you really want her to be worried free about her car and have better gas mileage out of it...

Last edited by Wachuko; 03-09-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:53 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Acura MDX. Great car!
Old 03-08-2009, 10:04 PM
sigs
Racer

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Volvo XC60, Acura MDX, another Lexus... If here work requires a lot of travel you really want her to be worried free about her car and have better gas mileage out of it...
+1. But a crucial point to consider is - what is service like at your local dealerships, and how many of the assorted dealerships of each brand being considered will she find in the cities to which she travels? My wife has an RX330 and I doubt I'll ever get her out of a Lexus, based on the reliability of the Toyota/Lexus products we've owned vs. any of our assorted German vehicles or her prior Volvo. Combine that with service at her dealership that acts like they got up that morning JUST to take care of her car and I couldn't force her into driving a Cayenne at gunpoint.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:28 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I started out with an 03 S model that I traded in for the 05 turbo truck. I have always enjoyed driving it and have not had any issues with my trucks, other than taking it in to the dealer for factory recall items. I would recommend an 09 as they have options just now available that the rest of the auto universe has had available for years.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 905 Posts

Tell her to get a Cayenne Turbo S!
Old 03-09-2009, 01:35 AM
leek
Rennlist Member

I drove everything in it's class. I have 27K miles on a 08 CTT no regrets. Awesome all purpose vehicle!
Old 03-09-2009, 02:40 AM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I think the Cayenne and RX cannot be more different in so many ways. Simply put, the Cayenne is extremely sporty for a SUV. Versus the RX is extemely comfy & quiet. For high speed driving/not much traffic/(winding roads?), Cayenne hands down. For bumper to bumper, RX wins. I have not driven the 3rd gen RX which I think is coming out or maybe out already but I have driven both 1st and 2nd gen extensively. If the improvements made from 1st to 2nd is any indication, the 3rd will be worth a look.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:04 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sigs
+1. But a crucial point to consider is - what is service like at your local dealerships, and how many of the assorted dealerships of each brand being considered will she find in the cities to which she travels? My wife has an RX330 and I doubt I'll ever get her out of a Lexus, based on the reliability of the Toyota/Lexus products we've owned vs. any of our assorted German vehicles or her prior Volvo. Combine that with service at her dealership that acts like they got up that morning JUST to take care of her car and I couldn't force her into driving a Cayenne at gunpoint.
+1!
Old 03-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine is a daily driver and I have no complaints. It does like gas stations, if that will matter to her.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:26 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche 25th
Mine is a daily driver and I have no complaints. It does like gas stations, if that will matter to her.
Oh yeah, good point, my '06 S does low teens on city driving and high teens on freeways. The RX V6 gets low 20s and my neighbor's hybrid RX gets high 20s all day long. Btw, is she looking at the RX or higher? Because I have looked into the GX in the past too. If she had a Jeep before, she may like the truckish feel (very good offroad too). The biggest reason I did not get it was because it was a 5+ year old design and it looks it inside and out. Otherwise, it's actually a bargain comparing it to other luxury SUV. The LX is just too much IMO, $80+k for a Lexus is just too much in my book.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:52 PM
faster
Rennlist Member

i would guess mileage plays into it, 20-30 mile each way to her office, and to michigan quite often.

good call.......i dont think she thought about the Acura, thats probaly one to throw in the mix as well.

Quick Reply: seeking you're opinion.... Cayenne?????