Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear side window shades - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:31 AM
navigator
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear side window shades - suggestions?

Looking for rear side window shades for my '09 Cayenne. Noticed that there are some clip on ones available, but they are pretty pricey at around $250. Anyone have any better options? Or anyone have the clip on ones and like em?
Old 03-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You mean like the factory roll-up shades? Can you post a link to the "clip on" product you mention?
It's possible to retrofit the roll-up shades from the parts department as a DIY if you have the inclination, but if you consider $250 "pricey" ...
Old 03-03-2009, 02:49 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I think the most economical and best looking way is tinted window. Tint is as dark as you want depending on how much privacy you are after. $250 for clip on shades? I have only seen the $5 non roll up type with one suction cup in the center or $25 ones that clip on the top edge of the window or with few suction cups. Neither version would I use on a Cayenne or even my minivan...

Yeah, the factory roll-ups was one of the must have when I was searching for my Cayenne. It was an inexpensive option $100-$200? and I knew adding it afterward was big $$$. Other than the actual parts, you probably need a new interior door panel. That alone is probably $500 x 2
Old 03-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've seen some static cling plastic products (as a sun shade for kids) which might work well.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:47 PM
navigator
Advanced

Here's a link to suncoast's site for the clip on ones that I was referring to. Not that $250 is going to break the bank, it just seems pretty expensive for this type of part. I didn't want to tint the windows any further because the shade gives the option of privacy when you want it, but doesn't make it too dark when you don't need it.

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...y_Code=955NInt
Old 03-03-2009, 04:51 PM
navigator
Advanced

Ideally, I'd love to get the factory roll up ones retrofitted. Not sure how much effort or $$$ that would take though.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:06 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by navigator
Here's a link to suncoast's site for the clip on ones that I was referring to. Not that $250 is going to break the bank, it just seems pretty expensive for this type of part. I didn't want to tint the windows any further because the shade gives the option of privacy when you want it, but doesn't make it too dark when you don't need it.

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...y_Code=955NInt

Wow, never knew such an accessory existed. Expensive, yes. But at least they give you 4 pieces and I doubt you will find aftermarket that fits perfectly shape wise. If it's any consolation, my factory roll ups do not cover 100% of the rear windows and none of the cargo area side windows...

Check your local dealer or Sunset Imports in Oregon to see if its cheaper. $249".99" sounds like full retail to me...
Old 03-03-2009, 06:12 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by navigator
Ideally, I'd love to get the factory roll up ones retrofitted. Not sure how much effort or $$$ that would take though.
Forget it, I bet you a beer it will be over $1500 when all said and done. Unless you can find used parts... You wouldn't happen to know anyone leasing a Cayenne with the same color interior as yours and has the factory roll ups, do you?

Quick Reply: Rear side window shades - suggestions?