Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High pressure fuel pump failures in DFI engines?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 10:32 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts
Default High pressure fuel pump failures in DFI engines?

There have been some reports of problems with the High pressure fuel pump in the new 997.2 DFI engine.

DFI engines in Cayennes have been around longer? Have there been any failures? DFI pump failures in BMWs have been significant.

TIA

Note: - I did a forum search for this item and did not find any relevant post.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:07 AM
porsche52
Board Certified Porsche Trauma Surgeon
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, there have been a few issues with the High Pressure Fuel pumps on the "S" and "Turbo" Cayenne. The symptom is usally long slow start-up, long cranking time. I have replaced several for this reason. I have not personaly seen or been informed of a failure of the V-6 pump to date, completly different pump all together. I was in CA. for Cayenne Engine repair class a few weeks ago, was not informed of any 997.2 DFI pump failures. What reports did you read??
Old 02-06-2009, 02:04 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche52
Yes, there have been a few issues with the High Pressure Fuel pumps on the "S" and "Turbo" Cayenne. The symptom is usally long slow start-up, long cranking time. I have replaced several for this reason. I have not personaly seen or been informed of a failure of the V-6 pump to date, completly different pump all together. I was in CA. for Cayenne Engine repair class a few weeks ago, was not informed of any 997.2 DFI pump failures. What reports did you read??
Thanks for the feedback. Those issues that you refer to were sporadic or ongoing? will there be a need to changes pumps over the car's life?

There are at least 2 reports on the 997.2. Here is the LINK.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

HPFP failure have been a big problem with the BMW x35's (335 & 535's), so much so that many cars have been either bought back by BMW or been declared lemons under state lemon laws. Even the new (redesigned ?) HPFP has had failures too.

Any idea if the pumps are manufactured by the same vendor? (Bosch ??)

The (BMW) 3L engines have also had cyl head oil passage problems too, now they're replacing the entire cyl head whereas in the past they thought it was a camshaft problem.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 02-06-2009 at 03:00 PM.

Quick Reply: High pressure fuel pump failures in DFI engines?