Sponsored by:

Cayenne Off Road Good and Bad

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 02:59 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I would consider myself to be like herpes.....I never really go away and usually come out to play when I sense 'stress'.
U might want to add a little syphillis for the insanity...
Old 01-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Kevinlpl
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three Things:
1. I am now using the Toyo AT 255/55 18 for Off road and Snow on my GTS. Good compromise between the two. Rides nice and is quieter than I expected. Actually for around town DD duties it is easier to drive than with the 21s installed.

2. I have found in snow PSM works fine when driving on snow covered roads in normal commuting, but should be turned off when in deep stuff like getting up a snow covered Driveway to the cabin or getting out of a deep snow area.

3. Anybody know if there is a fuse that can be disconnected to disable Traction Control. On some of our race cars we have been able to disconnect a fuse for the ABS to disable.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I haven't read all this thread, but I have an '05 Turbo with a lot of off-road miles, so perhaps I can help to answer at least one of your questions.

1. In low-locked, the traction management will allow rev-limit in any gear (up to 100 mph ... I checked.) It might be different on the '03, but on my car, if you keep your foot in it, you'll get up-shifts and more rpm and more wheel spin in low-locked, while in high range, it will bog down in a ridiculous, futile attempt to brake every corner down to some non-existent friction limit. And you do need at least a little "run-up" -- it won't do this from a stand-still (which probably makes sense.) Just to balance the books -- this is how I towed a Suburban out of trouble using a ****** strap last year. : )

And thanks for not trying to drag that trailer up the dunes. The SMART thing in any off-road driving is to take the easy way. Using the vehicle with better traction (be it tires or drive or suspension) to get the trailer up the hill was the smart thing to do as well as limiting the damage to the dunes. And it's just plain curteous not to block the trail and waste other people's time. It also goes to show the importance of traveling with at least one other vehicle.

By the way, the local 4WD club could probably be convinced to have a "working bee" to go that track through the dunes and put down some wooden slats and chain links to sure up the dunes and create a more durable path. I've seen this happening around QLD (eg. Fraser Island) and the city council used to do it where I grew up on the coast in VIC. To your comments on safe beach driving, it's reassuring to be able to stay late -- as the tide approaches, the fish start biting and you've still got a few cold ones left to share -- knowing you can scarper up the dunes without drama.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:23 PM
Matias_S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice story - thanks for sharing.

I live in Dubai and have done a bit of driving in sand, using Jeeps, LRs, Landcruisers etc.

In my wife's '06 S I can get ok traction in sand by just turning the PSM off. Admittedly no hardcore stuff, but it goes down to the beach nicely through rutted soft sand.

Did you turn the PSM off?

Quick Reply: Cayenne Off Road Good and Bad