Cornering Lights Going Out

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 08:43 AM
rbaron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cornering Lights Going Out

04 CS, bi-xenons.

Are the cornering lights wired in series (or is it parallel? I forget) so when one goes out they both go out?

Last month I was getting a "check right cornering lamp" warning and they were both out. The tech replaced the right lamp and then they both worked.

Last night I got a "check left cornering lamp" when I was starting up in the parking garage. I turned the wheel to the right and the right cornering lamp came on. I turned it to the left and sure enough the left lamp didn't come on. Then I turned it back to the right and the right lamp didn't come on.

Anyone know if this makes sense or if I am about to need to replace some sort of controller module?
Old 12-17-2008, 10:16 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rbaron
04 CS, bi-xenons.
My condolences

Are the cornering lights wired in series (or is it parallel? I forget) so when one goes out they both go out?
No

Last month I was getting a "check right cornering lamp" warning and they were both out. The tech replaced the right lamp and then they both worked.
Last night I got a "check left cornering lamp" when I was starting up in the parking garage. I turned the wheel to the right and the right cornering lamp came on. I turned it to the left and sure enough the left lamp didn't come on. Then I turned it back to the right and the right lamp didn't come on.
Fascinating

Anyone know if this makes sense
Yes

or if I am about to need to replace some sort of controller module?
No.
However, you probably do need to have the connectors cleaned/inspected/replaced.
Just a guess.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:18 AM
wirunner
Pro

I think when one goes out they both dont work (until the other is replaced). I've had the check left cornering lamp light on for awhile now and neither side works. I also think that the cornering lamp wont go on if the side light (little 5W bulb next to the cornering lamp burns out). In my case my left side light burned out and as such no cornering lamps worked (unless they all managed to burn out at the same time - on the cayenne anything is possible). However, even after I replaced the little 5w bulb I still cannot get the cornering lamps to come back on...hmmm

I'm going to replace the cornerning lamp next to see if that fixes the problem....but again, I think you might be right about them being wired in a series (I thought I read something similar on here in another post too). good luck - I might just leave the ! point alone because I've grown to really enjoy looking at it.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:25 AM
wirunner
Pro

Red face

Originally Posted by ltc
My condolences

No

Fascinating

Yes

No.
However, you probably do need to have the connectors cleaned/inspected/replaced.
Just a guess.

Ltc - I saw your post after I submitted mine - what would Larry have used to clean the connectors? Maybe thats my problem...or maybe the pig is just possessed.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:13 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Electrical contact cleaner, brake cleaner, alcohol, yadayada.....

Very common problem.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:22 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,473 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by wirunner
I think when one goes out they both dont work (until the other is replaced). I've had the check left cornering lamp light on for awhile now and neither side works. I also think that the cornering lamp wont go on if the side light (little 5W bulb next to the cornering lamp burns out). In my case my left side light burned out and as such no cornering lamps worked (unless they all managed to burn out at the same time - on the cayenne anything is possible). However, even after I replaced the little 5w bulb I still cannot get the cornering lamps to come back on...hmmm
This is not true. The cornering lamp will still work, even if the 5W "city light" is burned out.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:26 PM
rbaron
Racer

I just spoke to the service writer; she believes if one cornering lamp goes out the other should still work.

In any event I'll take it in two days from now and we'll see if they can figure out what is going on.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:37 PM
cadboy2006CS
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lost a cornering light back a few weeks ago, Bosch light ... I seem to recall that the other cornering did work.

I replaced the light myself, WOW! You really see the concept of German Engineering when you perform this task.

After having replaced Halogens in a Dodge, cutting the backs of my hands to squeeze the bulb into the poorly designed opening of the lens case which never did seal properly, to sliding out the lens unit on the Pig and opening the service port, re/re bulb, re-seal and slide along the rail back into place...truly a world's of difference!

Engineering is a beautiful thing if done efficiently.

Took 20 minutes but I took a lot of time being careful, next time 10 minutes. Tools were supplied by Porsche in the Pig, used needle nose pliers as well from my garage.

Bosch bulb was so inexpensive it was pratically free!

DIY, Man!
Old 12-17-2008, 04:43 PM
pred8or
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

04 CS, bi-xenons.

Anyone know if this makes sense or if I am about to need to replace some sort of controller module?
When one goes out the other does not work. Get the tool out of the back, remove headlight assembly, replace bulb for about a buck fiddy and your done. Might as well learn how to do it . I have done about 4 on mine in last 99K miles.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:24 AM
wirunner
Pro

Since there seems to be confusion about whether one cornering lamp will work when the other is burnt out I tried it (since I had one burnt out). The good cornering lamp works (it comes on with the headlights) but it does not get brighter when you turn the steering wheel as it should. I replaced the burnt out lamp and after they both work as they should (get brighter when turning the wheel).

It is also true that the 5W "city"/side light does not affect the cornering lamps. I coincidentally had the left cornering and side lamp burn out at the exact same time. I am going to buy a lottery ticket now.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:11 PM
rbaron
Racer

I took it in this morning and the tech reports the left lamp was indeed burned out. He replaced it and they both work now.

Quick Reply: Cornering Lights Going Out