Sponsored by:

Help Me Please?? New Potiental Buyer

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 01:07 PM
Jperez5935
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help Me Please?? New Potiental Buyer

Hi, I have een desperately searching for a Caynne, is there anything in particularI should be looking for (faults) when buying a used vehicle?
Old 12-02-2008, 01:45 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,571 Likes on 983 Posts

Looks like you have a few letters missing from your keyboard...

I would think your search wouldn't have to be too desperate, there are many, many used Cayennes out there right now.

If you search this forum, you'll find lots of useful information on used Cayennes.

The earlier models (2003 and 2004) tend to have more issues than the newer ones.

Any more specifics on the Cayenne for which you are desperately searching?
Old 12-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Jperez5935
2nd Gear

When I type fast I sometimes don't hit all the letters hard enough. I am looking to be within a certian price range, that is what making it a little desperate. I just wanted to know if there was a certian issue with the Cayenne like brakes or transmission that I need to look out for, I was looking into 04/05 closer to my price range at this time. My car broke down unexpectedly and would cost too much to repair. So I am looking for something in a hurry, but don't want to be taken for a ride. Thanks in advance.
Jennifer
Old 12-02-2008, 02:08 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,571 Likes on 983 Posts

Generally, the significant issues from the 2003 and 2004 Cayennes were resolved in the 2005 model, but not always. I'd buy the newest one you can afford. I think the key to reducing your risk when buying a used Cayenne (or any used car, for that matter) is to make sure you know the service history of the vehicle you are considering. I wouldn't buy a Cayenne off of a used car lot with no knowledge of the history.

If you are looking at a 2004 or 2005 model, you will most likely be in the 40,000 mile range or more. Make sure that the 40,000 mile maintenance has been done, and make sure that you get a pre-purchase inspection done by a 3rd party. Generally, the brakes need to be replaced in this range. That can be expensive, especially if you have it done by the dealer. I would try to buy one that has already had brakes.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:43 PM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, absolutely. First, make sure it has 4 wheels. Anything less then 4 and you should walk away immediately. Sure, they'll tell you it handles great with 3, or it drives better with two but don't believe them. These vehicles need 4 wheels, and ideally they should all be attached to the vehicle. What kind of driving do you do? A steering wheel is a nice to have, but not required for short trips in a straight line. Seats are good, but be warned they add a lot to the value of the vehicle and you can expect to pay a premium price for them. Windows aren't needed, all they are is something to get dirty - if it doesn't have windows, ask to see the goggles they use when driving it. The amount of crud on them will tell you a lot about how and where the vehicle was driven. It should have an engine, it's usually in the front but depending on the modifications the previous owner has done it can be located anywhere. Most have four doors, personally I've found the vehicle is much faster if two of them are removed. This reduces weight and really gives it a sporty look and feel, and these Cayennes are very heavy as sold by the dealers.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:51 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jperez5935
When I type fast I sometimes don't hit all the letters hard enough. I am looking to be within a certian price range, that is what making it a little desperate. I just wanted to know if there was a certian issue with the Cayenne like brakes or transmission that I need to look out for, I was looking into 04/05 closer to my price range at this time. My car broke down unexpectedly and would cost too much to repair. So I am looking for something in a hurry, but don't want to be taken for a ride. Thanks in advance.
Jennifer
You don't have enough time to learn all the quirks and possible things that could b right or wrong.

My advice would be to buy from CarMax and try to get a 2005 w/ higher miles. The warranty goes to 50k, so if you can buy one with less than that you have time to fix any small or large problems. If you have to buy one w/ more than 50k then Carmax sells bumper to bumper warranties at a reasonable price. They seem pretty good, but I've never actually used it.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:35 PM
cayenne-kimo
Intermediate

Jennifer

If you're in a hurry, you should look for a Toyota 4Runner. Very reliable and cheap. No worries there. Ohterwise, as everyone else posted, get a newer one preferably still under warranty. Best of luck.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:01 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Get this guy to safe cover fast before LTC lays eyes on him.....
Old 12-02-2008, 07:30 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rome
LOL Chicken so close to Thanksgiving??
Old 12-02-2008, 11:03 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Shhh, quiet, you'll scare another one away......almost close enough.......
Old 12-02-2008, 11:05 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rome
I believe "his" name is Jennifer...
Old 12-03-2008, 12:37 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Ooops...sorry Jen...
Old 12-03-2008, 07:01 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Hi, I have een desperately searching for a Caynne,...
Gentlemen,
Please show a little respect and manners, especially since it is assumed the new forum member is obviously blind, since "desperately searching for a Cayenne" involves walking out your front door, holding a cat by the tail, swinging the cat above your head, letting go of the cat's tail, and buying the first Cayenne the cat comes into contact with BEFORE HITTING THE GROUND (NO dead cat bounces are allowed), so clearly our new member either:
A. does not own a cat
or
B. is legally blind
Used Cayennes are soon to be placed on the 'No License Required to Hunt' list, as well as the EPA's Superfund Pollution list....given the vast numbers of (used) Cayennes slowly rusting on dealer's lots.

is there anything in particularI should be looking for (faults) when buying a used vehicle?
3 things:

Warranty
Warranty
Warranty

Actually one other thing:
Do you like pork?
Old 12-03-2008, 07:21 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
Gentlemen,
Please show a little respect and manners, especially since it is assumed the new forum member is obviously blind, since "desperately searching for a Cayenne" involves walking out your front door, holding a cat by the tail, swinging the cat above your head, letting go of the cat's tail, and buying the first Cayenne the cat comes into contact with BEFORE HITTING THE GROUND (NO dead cat bounces are allowed), so clearly our new member either:
A. does not own a cat
or
B. is legally blind
Used Cayennes are soon to be placed on the 'No License Required to Hunt' list, as well as the EPA's Superfund Pollution list....given the vast numbers of (used) Cayennes slowly rusting on dealer's lots.

3 things:

Warranty
Warranty
Warranty

Actually one other thing:
Do you like pork?
Isn't Jennifer's post considered "low hanging fruit".. oh humorous straight-jacketed one, you should be ashamed of yourself.. I had to ignore as she lost me with "When I type fast I sometimes don't hit all the letters hard enough" .... there's an avatar available for this but I don't want enigmawmn crawling me about using it!
Old 12-03-2008, 07:30 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MadFox
Isn't Jennifer's post considered "low hanging fruit".. oh humorous straight-jacketed one, you should be ashamed of yourself.. I had to ignore as she lost me with "When I type fast I sometimes don't hit all the letters hard enough" ....
Yes.
Batting practice.

Quick Reply: Help Me Please?? New Potiental Buyer