"Spies would risk life & limb for them...."

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 08:07 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Larry's perspective on Victory Motorcars....

He would have rather walked into a Porsche showroom and bought a brand new Cayenne than buy any car from Victory.

Really....
Wow... Now that puts this into perspective for me! The 911 search will continue, but more likely through RL or through The Mart at PCA.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:13 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Larry's perspective on Victory Motorcars....

He would have rather walked into a Porsche showroom and bought a brand new Cayenne than buy any car from Victory.

Really....
The above testimonial should serve as a PSA for all people considering doing business with Victory. A simple search will uncover the depth and gravity of the statement.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:25 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
My daily communte is about 35 miles if I'm going to the office, 11 miles if I'm going to the airport. I drive 10,000 - 12,000 miles per year. I think I'll have to expand my search and look at Targas. There is a 2002 Targa for sale now at Victory Motors... I may have to call them and see what they want for it.
Read the latest Victory thread on the 993 forum, the buyer was naive but found a good way to get back at them.

There are many more threads on both RL and Pelican about Victory. Good advice, stay far, far away.

My prior note on $30k 996's, don't expect to get a Targa or 4S for that but either would be very nice DD vehicles. Make sure you use PCNA's used vehicle listings from your area dealers, I'm sure there's a good bit of negotiation room in their prices these days, esp. if you wait until just before the end of the year.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:06 PM
cadboy2006CS
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ROME,

I just wanted to thank you for that link to the clip on the Porsche 911.

Myself, driving a Cayenne was a entry point into something that is far greater than anything I have ever expierenced. I too am looking to add a 911 to my life and have used this forum to watch and learn from you very wise gentlemen.

I enjoy the curves of the 09 but am interested in the older models.

My debate is, as a DD does one want to pick up a 93' or the like and treat it that way?

Or would an 09', returning to the classic wider fenders and stance, provide that styling with modern performance and obviously a warranty?

Does one worry about warranty if the garage contains a 911?

Certainly the Cayenne S provides a microscopic glimse into the Universe that is the 911 and as such I would not have dreamed of entering into one without a CPO!

Porsche has certainly changed my world, in many ways on many levels but as Jerry Seinlfeld said best in that clip, "..the person inside the Porsche is more impressed than the person outside..."

Thanks for inspiration, I have never carefully planned to have $40-140K on hand outside of business affairs to purschase something for myself and I am glad to do it for the 911!

You guys all must work in the dealerships, right?!

I'm sold.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:56 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cadboy2006CS
ROME,

I just wanted to thank you for that link to the clip on the Porsche 911.

Myself, driving a Cayenne was a entry point into something that is far greater than anything I have ever expierenced. I too am looking to add a 911 to my life and have used this forum to watch and learn from you very wise gentlemen.

I enjoy the curves of the 09 but am interested in the older models.

My debate is, as a DD does one want to pick up a 93' or the like and treat it that way?

Or would an 09', returning to the classic wider fenders and stance, provide that styling with modern performance and obviously a warranty?

Does one worry about warranty if the garage contains a 911?

Certainly the Cayenne S provides a microscopic glimse into the Universe that is the 911 and as such I would not have dreamed of entering into one without a CPO!

Porsche has certainly changed my world, in many ways on many levels but as Jerry Seinlfeld said best in that clip, "..the person inside the Porsche is more impressed than the person outside..."

Thanks for inspiration, I have never carefully planned to have $40-140K on hand outside of business affairs to purschase something for myself and I am glad to do it for the 911!

You guys all must work in the dealerships, right?!

I'm sold.
No sweat, man.

For a daily driver I'd stick to the Cayenne or a more modern 911.

Personally, I want the little conveniences like cup holders, Sat radio, Navigation etc. in my everyday car.

That said, many people here do use their 993's as daily drivers.

But the 993, to me, is the perfect weekend toy.

One thing to keep in mind, though. The newer the model, the more soaked you will get from the depreciation. Be prepared for a big hit if you look to part with your 2009 911 three years from now. The 993's, on the other hand, are holding their values really well in comparison.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:16 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I too would only use a 993 for a weekend car. Don't dismiss the Cayman as a great DD, they can be snapped up for cheap and with a hatchback, front boot and mid engine design offer a lot of fun and versatility for the money. 05 911's are really coming down in price and if you get one from the dealer you can buy CPO with up to 3 more years of coverage.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:51 PM
cadboy2006CS
Track Day

Default Options

I am looking harder now at the 993, maybe arrange a test drive this weekend.

I never thought of the Cayman, I'm 6'4' so I was thinking it might jsut be too tight for me to comfortably fit into, no?

I really don't mind the Cayenne as a DD, especially with the Highway Systems we have here, only on the weekends going up to the plateau could I ever Open It Up and enjoy the scenery blazing past ( not in the Pig !)

I really can't justify buying new, depreciation is ridiculous in my mind when perfectly good [ so long as they are researched and critically inspected ] used vehicles are out there.

Do you guys agree with this line I read on a Carrera, 98 4S, that it is a "rare car"?

There' s one in LA for about 40K, it's the right color but I am leary of the age and mods on it....but if the price is right???

J
Old 12-06-2008, 03:04 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cadboy2006CS
Do you guys agree with this line I read on a Carrera, 98 4S, that it is a "rare car"?

J
Here are the US production figures: https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...92&postcount=7

For all years combined, there were 2327 C4S's built as compared to 1752 C2S's (and 1909 Turbos).

Neither is rare compared to "special edition cars" like a Flachbau, or even a 993 Turbo S (only 176) but they thewide body 'S' cars were not built in huge quantiites, especially compared to the 996 and 997's which are built by the tens of thousands annually.

And, when you consider the toll that time has taken on the number of 993's (accidents, neglect), and how many have gone back oversees because of the week dollar, well, ...there are less and less wide bodies to be had.

Last edited by rome; 12-06-2008 at 03:33 AM.

Quick Reply: "Spies would risk life & limb for them...."