Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will dealers replace coils if there isn't a fault code?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 08:44 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 900 Posts
Default Will dealers replace coils if there isn't a fault code?

My Porsche factory warranty officially comes to an end in the next few weeks (4 years). I do have an extended warranty, which is good, but I have been thinking of taking the Cayenne in to the dealer one last time while it is still under factory warranty to correct any issues. At this point, I don't really have any issues. The only one I can think of is that I am still on the original coils at roughly 45,000 miles. Rarely, I experience a rough idle, but it generally goes away after I drive for a bit.

What experience have others had with dealers and their willingness to replace coils under warranty? Will they laugh at me because I haven't had a CEL? I'm thinking I will take it in and ask anyway...
Old 09-29-2008, 09:00 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Generally not unless the dealer is nice
Old 09-29-2008, 09:33 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Ah... right. Then I guess I'll replace them myself.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:39 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can get a DTC from bad coil packs without getting a CEL. If the "misfiring" DTC shows up on a scan they should replace them under warranty. With no DTC, a dealer could be accused of fraud if they submit a warranty claim to PCNA.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:14 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dennis C
My Porsche factory warranty officially comes to an end in the next few weeks (4 years). I do have an extended warranty, which is good, but I have been thinking of taking the Cayenne in to the dealer one last time while it is still under factory warranty to correct any issues. At this point, I don't really have any issues. The only one I can think of is that I am still on the original coils at roughly 45,000 miles. Rarely, I experience a rough idle, but it generally goes away after I drive for a bit.

What experience have others had with dealers and their willingness to replace coils under warranty? Will they laugh at me because I haven't had a CEL? I'm thinking I will take it in and ask anyway...
I have never had a CEL and I had two sets of coils on the beta. I reported missing and hesitation.. they have to check the actual engine logs.. when they did they found misfires. I would suggest that you state that you've feel hesitation and that you're concerned that you had bad coils.. let them disprove you.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:50 AM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They wouldn't replace the coils without a CEL even though there was a definite and obvious mis. I ended up replacing all the coils myself. The policy I was told was they will replace the one missing coil the first time. The second time you complain about a misfire they will replace the remaining 7. Here is some advice if you dont want to do the job yourself. I would have followed this advice had I thought of it sooner. Pull one coil to set off the CEL. Then bring it in.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:53 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is what it says from my invoice when I took it in (under warranty) a few months back. I did NOT have a CEL but the pepper ran rough especially in the AM when it was damp:

Checked fault memory, no faults stored in system. Checked ignition coils and found evidence of coils breaking down (cracked housings) - replaced ignition coils.
The invoice has a count of 8 ignition coils p/n .05

BTW, I dropped it off the evening before, they said when they pulled it in the next AM it was noticeable to them.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:19 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Mine's not really that noticable, even to me. It occasionally idles rough... but not very often.

I have also noticed occasional, minor hesitation - but again, not a major issue.

I guess I'll have them look at it and see what they say. If they say no, then I'm no worse off than I am today.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:54 AM
alsamrob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience has been no CEL, no new coils. Even asked the dealer to visually inspect the coils, and that I would pay for the tech to inspect them, with the agreement that if they are cracked, they roll that charge into the warranty replacement. Still no go. Instead, tech sold me on a Fuel System Cleaning, and told me if I had cracked coils, it would hesitate a lot worse than it does. Told me some skipping was normal. Still have the hesitation, and skips.

FWIW, I have not been back to that dealer, nor will I go back. Bringing my pig to an independent for the 60K, and I am sure I will be forking over for the coils.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:01 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When they go you know it, there will be no doubt. I bought a set off ebay and put them in myself, its not a hard job.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:20 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alsamrob
Bringing my pig to an independent for the 60K, and I am sure I will be forking over for the coils.
He's got to take them out anyway to change the spark plugs, so might as well have them all replaced whether or not all are cracked. Pretty much certain they will crack eventually, so save the extra labor charge and swap them out now.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Edited.....
FWIW, I have not been back to that dealer, nor will I go back. ......edited
I gotta agree with this sentiment.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:05 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

Originally Posted by 993BillW
I gotta agree with this sentiment.
Do you know the dealer? I am not the first, nor the last to have this experience.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Do you know the dealer? I am not the first, nor the last to have this experience.
No, I do not know the dealer. I was basing my statement on your previous post where you requested them to check the coils and and stated you would pay for that but they still refused. That would have been enough for me.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:17 PM
immacul8cs
Advanced

i had no cel but coils were cracked----i took the coils out to verify---later i went to the dealer and informed that during recent oil change coils are cracked----dealer replaced------

Quick Reply: Will dealers replace coils if there isn't a fault code?