Cayenne S '04, 1st: Bose noise-blast malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 06:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

They actually did 2 things.....just in one service visit......assuming the 'factory radio reset' was a S/W revision check and/or update.

You may have a small chance of a repeat if one of the optical cables has been damaged (bend radius and/or optical termination).....well there is also that 'larry doomsday easter egg' waiting in the system, but we'll skip that for now.....but that would be fixed by simply replacing the optical cable (you don't want to watch).

There was likely a logged error code event (called a DTC), but those are generally not accesible to dealers, mainly developers.

If you require further information, please refer all requests to Dr. W at the Porsche HQ.....ask him how his wife's last 'executive test drive/listening tes went'......rumor has it she hasn't done another one since.......
Old 08-26-2008, 06:45 PM
D.Lundgren
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info, thanks. If the issue recurs (triggering event was driver's side door opening) that door's MOST cable sounds like a good place to start.

THAT Dr. W's wife, eh? Good to know a she got to enjoy a similar audio pyrotechnic display, although sorry to hear it put her off Bose and/or Cayennes. My wife is made of sterner stuff, and with Sonnen's first-pass complete, we're both looking forward to enjoying the Bose stereo as designed.

Regarding the LDEE, I can only imagine...a spoken-word piece would be neat...yet if the SPL invoked exceeds that of last Saturday night's event (deep into the nineties, I'd guess) I hope it triggers with a window open, or before anyone steps in.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:03 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by D.Lundgren
Great info, thanks. If the issue recurs (triggering event was driver's side door opening)
Like most cars, opening a door triggers a CAN wakeup event and that is passed to the audio system via a CAN/MOST gateway.

that door's MOST cable sounds like a good place to start.
Cables...plural. Since MOST is a (serial) ring, any one of the cables being marginal is enough to cause problems.

THAT Dr. W's wife, eh? Good to know a she got to enjoy a similar audio pyrotechnic display, although sorry to hear it put her off Bose and/or Cayennes.
From what I heard, Porsche didn't think it was funny. Larry did, but then again he always was a bit 'odd'.

My wife is made of sterner stuff, and with Sonnen's first-pass complete, we're both looking forward to enjoying the Bose stereo as designed.
I hope you enjoy it.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:06 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow - never had that happen in the three years I owned my '04... it was BOSE if it matters....
Old 08-27-2008, 07:07 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JFScheck
Wow - never had that happen in the three years I owned my '04... it was BOSE if it matters....
Would you like to have it happen?
Special requests welcome.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:29 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you talking about a screaming D/A on wake ? I heard that being talked about at the dealer, car had taken a hit to the side passenger door.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:45 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Would you like to have it happen?
Special requests welcome.

ONLY if you can make said request happen via a Bluetooth connection!

And while you're at it, can you make the Bi-Xenon lights dip (adjust) in opposite directions on start-up just for fun?
Old 08-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
ONLY if you can make said request happen via a Bluetooth connection!
You wouldn't be trying to stir up trouble now would you Toby???
Old 08-29-2008, 09:16 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

Moi?
Old 09-02-2008, 11:22 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

ONLY if you can make said request happen via a Bluetooth connection! :
Hey, you got widescreen touchscreen AND Bluetooth with PCM3.x.....what else do you want?

And while you're at it, can you make the Bi-Xenon lights dip (adjust) in opposite directions on start-up just for fun?
Actually, yes.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:32 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

BTW LTC - have you seen the myGIG system on the Jeeps and other Chrysler products? User updates via CD - it's getting pretty damn stable and nice!!!

Better than my 997 DVD NAV and MUCH better than the CD NAV on the ole' Cayenne...
Old 02-01-2009, 11:22 AM
D.Lundgren
Cruisin'

LTC's aforementioned "2 service visits" was prescient. Almost five months after the last Bose Noise Blast (BNB) incident/attempted fix, the problem recurred, same trigger event of opening the driver's side door.

Timing was fortunate, it occurred about a mile from Sonnen Porsche during business hours... I parked by their open service bay, windows down, and a solid cross section of their service and sales staffers experienced the MOST DSP amplifier in all its raging glory, as the noise howled on for another 5 min or so after arrival...nice to have multiplel eyewitnesses, along with the 1-800 Porsche recording from the first incident! Sonnen performed prompt & friendly replacement of the 955-645-301-07 amplifier module under warranty (pints up, LTC?). No incidents in the weeks since.

At the far other end of the Cayenne funny noise spectrum, on the same visit an intermittent variable hum from the HVAC, lower left area of the dash (sounded like a higher current/torque item than an air fan) was diagnosed and apparently fixed by replacement of the 955-572-150-02 "auxiliary coolant pump". While they were at it, they replaced my hatch struts to correct a minor (if silent) droop.

Again, a fine CPO service experience...tip o' the hat to Sonnen and staffer Gary Wright, whose attitude of customer advocacy continues. May that be it on funny Cayenne noises for a while...
Old 02-01-2009, 12:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

LTC's aforementioned "2 service visits" was prescient.
Cayenne Pig Pen Rule #1:
NEVER, EVER doubt the wisdom of Larry, especially when dealing with electronics...and more specifically MOST.

The title "Supreme Technical Dictator For Life" is my actual title at work....really.

Sonnen performed prompt & friendly replacement of the 955-645-301-07 amplifier module under warranty (pints up, LTC?). No incidents in the weeks since.
You should be fine now....well, about as fine as you can possibly be driving a pig.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:30 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 900 Posts

At the far other end of the Cayenne funny noise spectrum, on the same visit an intermittent variable hum from the HVAC, lower left area of the dash (sounded like a higher current/torque item than an air fan) was diagnosed and apparently fixed by replacement of the 955-572-150-02 "auxiliary coolant pump".
Get used to that noise. Even after the application of TSB 1945 to remedy this situation, the noise never really goes away. It will be back.

As you have already experienced, the Bose system has enough power to drown out the sounds from the coolant pump.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Get used to that noise. Even after the application of TSB 1945 to remedy this situation, the noise never really goes away. It will be back..
Now you've gone and spoiled the surprise.

Of course I'm still giggling at the new PCM3.x vehicles.....owners stating they're not crazy and in fact the windshield wipers DID come on when I touched the radio..

Quick Reply: Cayenne S '04, 1st: Bose noise-blast malfunction