Sponsored by:

Ever so slight occasional rattle from dash speaker cover

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 10:37 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ever so slight occasional rattle from dash speaker cover

We have an '06 cayenne- sometimes we hear the slightest rattle from the driver's side dash speaker- I think its the cover, since when you put your hand on it the rattle seems to go away (I say seems since going over bumps its not really a consistent rattle). It's only noticable with the radio off or at low volume- very slight but nothing else rattles in the car so it's more of an annoyance. Anyone else have this?

I may take the car to the dealer- it would be the first time in 26K miles going in. (I had my independent do an initial oil change at 10K miles so never went to dealer for oil service, and the only other thing on the car that went was a tail light 2 weeks ago that I changed myself for $2...) Seems silly to take it in for just that, but oh well. I'm getting ready to do another oil change (I don't wait the full 20K miles)- maybe I'll have the dealer do it and look at the speaker cover (although they do charge over $140 more for an oil change so maybe not...)
Old 07-27-2008, 12:39 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew911
We have an '06 cayenne- sometimes we hear the slightest rattle from the driver's side dash speaker- I think its the cover, since when you put your hand on it the rattle seems to go away (I say seems since going over bumps its not really a consistent rattle). It's only noticable with the radio off or at low volume- very slight but nothing else rattles in the car so it's more of an annoyance. Anyone else have this?

I may take the car to the dealer- it would be the first time in 26K miles going in. (I had my independent do an initial oil change at 10K miles so never went to dealer for oil service, and the only other thing on the car that went was a tail light 2 weeks ago that I changed myself for $2...) Seems silly to take it in for just that, but oh well. I'm getting ready to do another oil change (I don't wait the full 20K miles)- maybe I'll have the dealer do it and look at the speaker cover (although they do charge over $140 more for an oil change so maybe not...)

Had that problem with my 997S. The dealer merely tightened a screw inside the speaker cover and the problem was solved (under warrantyy of course!).
Old 07-27-2008, 07:30 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the same intermittent rattle.

It's part of the ownership 'flavor'!
Old 07-27-2008, 08:56 PM
sigs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think my center dash speaker is the only one that doesn't rattle occasionally (knock wood). The others rattle intermittently, depending on the season, the music selection, the bumpiness of the road, etc. - and most of them rattle more after the dealer tried to fix them.

Perhaps my Cayenne is more "flavorful" than others.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:05 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sigs
I think my center dash speaker is the only one that doesn't rattle occasionally (knock wood). The others rattle intermittently, depending on the season, the music selection, the bumpiness of the road, etc. - and most of them rattle more after the dealer tried to fix them.

Perhaps my Cayenne is more "flavorful" than others.
Agreed. Notice rattles with bass set at anything above factory settings.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:42 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

It definitely isn't from loud music- we only hear it at low/no volume. It's so slight, and not always over bumps- it's a nit pick thing, but with no other rattles (since I took out the cargo cover which also rattled), its annoying. The dealer said they may be able to look at it and put some tape or something in there to tighten it up- I'll have them look at it when I bring her in for an oil change.

Not to get off topic, but I'm going to bring it to the dealer to get this fixed and the door that covers the center consol in the rear (where the rear cig. lighter is) won't stay closed. That was broken when we bought the truck and they fixed it. The dealer said he would look at it and "determine from looking at it if it is a defect or something we broke, in which case it wouldn't be covered".

I took the truck to my independent for a first oil change at 10,000 miles- he charged something like $180- the dealer wants $375 (less 10% coupon= $338)! But I'll take it to them this time just to get these two things fixed- let's just say I got the impression that the door sticking open would be "my fault" and not covered if the truck wasn't in there for chargable maint. but it would be if I got the oil change there. If I pay the crazy price for the oil change and they don't fix the door and the speaker, I will be raising high hell with the manager....but I'll be optimistic right now as they have been good so far. And the truck has been good with 26,000 miles- only minor things are aforementioned speaker/rear door that just broke, and a $2 rear tail light I replaced myself (knock on wood).

Quick Reply: Ever so slight occasional rattle from dash speaker cover