Sponsored by:

Roof plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 02:58 AM
geoff w
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof plugs?

'08 Cayenne S with no roof rack, just the empty tracks on top of the car. Has anyone seen or made anything to plug the roof rails? They fill up with crud from being parked outside. I already asked Mr. Bumper Plugs and he passed on the project. I talked to one body shop this week, but they won't do custom work. Anyone have any suggestions
Old 07-17-2008, 07:48 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Clear racer's tape
Old 07-17-2008, 10:34 AM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 168 Posts

They also hold a sizable amount of water during the washing process, which readily empties down on the front and back windows on the first post-wash drive.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:36 PM
geoff w
Advanced

Originally Posted by ltc
Clear racer's tape
I was thinking of something a little more durable, like either a curved metal or plastic strip, or even some kind of plug. Something reversible/removable as well, in case I ever need to add racks or rails on top. I thought about liquid urethane, but that could be messy
Old 07-17-2008, 02:41 PM
geoff w
Advanced

Originally Posted by Leader
They also hold a sizable amount of water during the washing process, which readily empties down on the front and back windows on the first post-wash drive.
Water mixed with other dirt and crud seems to accumulate in the rails, which doesn't all come out during washing, but seems to find it's way out when driving off after a wash. There's not much to fault on the car, but the open roof rails don't seem overly well thought out. At least on the Carrera, there's a little flip up cover that goes over the little rails and makes the roofline smooth
Old 07-17-2008, 04:21 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by geoff w
...There's not much to fault on the car....

Why do I suddenly feel compelled to say something like "Jane, you ignorant ****".....just seems like a 'Point Counterpoint SNL moment' for the forum
Old 07-17-2008, 05:55 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

In the interest of keeping Larry smiling, I just went out and checked the rubber insert that goes into Audi's (A-3)roof rack. I believe it is provided to eliminate whistling when there is no box attached to the rack. The rubber fits OK at the top but underside is not wide enough to keep it attached to the P truck rail. I also noticed that the entry point for the P truck's rack (one spot mid point each side) would be a problem if one were to get a strip that would stay in place. The wide spots would still allow water to collect. Think Larry's idea of clear racer tape would be the simplest, cheapest. Yes, I do notice after a truck wash the water sloshes out on the clean windshield!
Old 07-17-2008, 07:54 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 168 Posts
Wink If you can't say something nice...just keep saying it?

Originally Posted by ltc

Why do I suddenly feel compelled to say something like "Jane, you ignorant ****".....just seems like a 'Point Counterpoint SNL moment' for the forum
You'd think after nearly 13,000 "performances" , Larry would want to learn a new "song."
Old 07-17-2008, 08:50 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Leader
You'd think after nearly 13,000 "performances" , Larry would want to learn a new "song."
I'm trying to think of something eloquent to say in response.....give me a minute.......ah the hell with it...

B!TE ME

And BTW, have a nice weekend
Old 07-17-2008, 09:10 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Do what every one else does, use a towel in each end rolled up.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:44 PM
geoff w
Advanced

Originally Posted by ltc

But it's made by Porsche. It's a precision work of German engineering brilliance. Excellence was expected.

Seriously, though, the thing has exceeded all my expectations, it drives OK (considering it's a gas guzzling humongous SUV), my wife likes it (though not as much as her Carrera), and the dog (who we bought it for) is reasonably satisfied with her new car. The dog doesn't get to ride in either the Boxster or Carrera, and the Cayenne rides and handles significantly better that the '93 Lexus GS it replaced. My wife won't ride in my '88 Toyota pickup any more, so I had to do something for road trips. (Did I mention the price of gas went up by over 30% between the time we ordered it and took delivery)

This could be fun except I would like to find something to cover up the open roof tracks
Old 07-18-2008, 10:12 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by geoff w
But it's made by Porsche. It's a precision work of German engineering brilliance. Excellence was expected.
Actually, it's not made by Porsche, it's made by VAG. The racks were also designed by VAG.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:17 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,575 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
Do what every one else does, use a towel in each end rolled up.
+1. If you know it's going to fill up with water when you wash the car, just take extra care to dry it off in there.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:35 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Heck, after every car wash, get the leaf blower out and blow it out front to rear.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:36 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

These guys are USING their roof rack!

http://www.pca.org/V3/UserFiles/rally-email.jpg

Quick Reply: Roof plugs?