Sponsored by:

OEM Cayenne iPod kit introductory special

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 11:03 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Careful now... I'll go dig up that Bi-Xenon thread and put EVERYPONE back to sleep with the details!.

BTW, I still love the story about WHO picks sound characteristics for our cars. Didn't someone "assist" her once with some amusing results?
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!
Originally Posted by ltc
Whatever are you talking about

You don't really believe that story of the wife of a PAG executive who during the Cayenne approval test drives was surprised when the audio system went from normal to (with props to Spinal Tap) volume setting "Eleven" and would not shut off, even if the keys were removed?

The next thing you'll tell me is that the person(s) responsible for this hideous act planned it so after the event, the code responsible was erased, along with any logged Diagnostic Trouble Codes, thus leaving it impossible to validate the alleged "Volume 11" incident?

What next? Hidden audio prompts in the soon to be unleashed upon an unsuspecting world PCM 3.0 ?
when I grow up I would love to know what the big boys were talking about...????
Old 07-10-2008, 11:44 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam CS 05
when I grow up I would love to know what the big boys were talking about...????
ummm... no you don't.

TRUST ME
Old 07-11-2008, 08:08 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Whatever are you talking about

You don't really believe that story of the wife of a PAG executive who during the Cayenne approval test drives was surprised when the audio system went from normal to (with props to Spinal Tap) volume setting "Eleven" and would not shut off, even if the keys were removed?

The next thing you'll tell me is that the person(s) responsible for this hideous act planned it so after the event, the code responsible was erased, along with any logged Diagnostic Trouble Codes, thus leaving it impossible to validate the alleged "Volume 11" incident?

What next? Hidden audio prompts in the soon to be unleashed upon an unsuspecting world PCM 3.0 ?

Ahhhh, the good old days!!!! Warms my heart just thinking about them. Didn't her last name begin with a "W"?
Old 07-11-2008, 09:12 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Ahhhh, the good old days!!!! Warms my heart just thinking about them. Didn't her last name begin with a "W"?
Are you referring to the German equivalent of Katie Kouric?

Who would possibly be bold enough to unfold such a devious experiment on the wife of such a highly regarded head of a beloved German marque?

I know of one person, but he's dead now (R.I.P. )
Of course he MUST have had a very good reason for unleashing such a devious plot on an executive and/or his wife.....but ! guess we'!! never know !
Old 07-15-2008, 05:38 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Additionally, the song information, playlists, etc. won't be visible on the head unit - you'll have to go to the iPod for those.
My FM modulator does send song titles over RDS.

But the only time I can use an FM modulator is when I am in the boonies. In any significant metropolitan area you can't drive for more than 5 minutes without stumbling onto someone else using the "open" frequency. If they would just let me bump up the power of the transmitter in the modulator then it would be more useful.

Did anyone ever tried talking to a Porsche executive that was part of the decision to give it such an obsolete radio?
I am very curious about what kind of bull**** they would respond with. A 2005 Chevy Impala has AUX input but a 2008 Cayenne doesn't.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:49 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

WOH there big fella

The FM Modulator is HARD WIRED to the antenna port not broadcasting over FM, there is no station interferance, NOR is there any RDS info.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:52 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by amaist
Did anyone ever tried talking to a Porsche executive that was part of the decision to give it such an obsolete radio?
I am very curious about what kind of bull**** they would respond with. A 2005 Chevy Impala has AUX input but a 2008 Cayenne doesn't.
If such a conversation were to take place, I would imagine it would go something like this.....

PAG: we need a headunit, custom designed to our marketing specifications, we expect to buy no more than 100K units/year.
Becker: request denied. You can take what we have off the shelf, add some PAG S/W menus. We are far too busy with BMW, Audi, Mercedes with millions of headunits/development/debug/support to waste our time with you.
PAG: Fine then, we'll simply fall back on the fact that no matter how much they bitch, our customers will still buy the cars.
Becker: excellent decision

Of course, I'm just guessing here.

And BTW, since the headunits were designed for MOST and MOST only, the front panel analog/line level AUX input was deleted. Save a couple of $ doing that!
Old 07-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ltc
If such a conversation were to take place, I would imagine it would go something like this.....

PAG: we need a headunit, custom designed to our marketing specifications, we expect to buy no more than 100K units/year.
Becker: request denied. You can take what we have off the shelf, add some PAG S/W menus. We are far too busy with BMW, Audi, Mercedes with millions of headunits/development/debug/support to waste our time with you.
PAG: Fine then, we'll simply fall back on the fact that no matter how much they bitch, our customers will still buy the cars.
Becker: excellent decision

Of course, I'm just guessing here.

And BTW, since the headunits were designed for MOST and MOST only, the front panel analog/line level AUX input was deleted. Save a couple of $ doing that!

ltc,
Are you saying that just for few more $$ we (all with MOST systems) could have had the Aux. input ?

If that's true then...

where is the nearest cliff ???? I want to join Larry (RIP)
Old 07-16-2008, 12:23 AM
droptop
Pro

ltc,
Are you saying that just for few more $$ we (all with MOST systems) could have had the Aux. input ?

If that's true then...

where is the nearest cliff ???? I want to join Larry (RIP)
sam, sam, sam....

you totally misread that.

not for a few more $$...for a couple of $.

that's like $2 (although i would have guessed a smaller number..)

have you seen the orbitz gnome cliff diving yet???
Old 07-16-2008, 07:40 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

My dealer Tech Manager is going for training on the 09's in early August. He saw the new electronics in the materials he was sent and is dreading it. He would rather they had a single DIN slot and then build the systems to suit customers. He says its the biggest complaint they get on all the cars "why they even bother is beyond me, its like taking someone elses hand me downs, its never a good solution"

TomTom for ever !!
Old 07-16-2008, 05:45 PM
droptop
Pro

Default over a cliff

sorry, it's the travelocity gnome..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9T0L0qPTB8 (second half)

so, if after watching the video to see what cayenne ownership is REALLY like, if a person still wants to go that route, i will tell them to get the regular radio and skip the PCM.

nobody listens though....
Old 07-16-2008, 06:26 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Hmmn, Cayenne cliff diving...perhaps an Olympic exhibition event?
Old 07-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by droptop
sam, sam, sam....

you totally misread that.

not for a few more $$...for a couple of $.

that's like $2 (although i would have guessed a smaller number..)

have you seen the orbitz gnome cliff diving yet???
Please don't pour salt on my wounds...so instead of that damn street sign gift (read:GTS), all of us would be enjoying an audio input with money left over for few iTunes songs...

hummn...now I am sure that they are not as smart as a 5th grader
Old 07-16-2008, 06:50 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ltc
Hmmn, Cayenne cliff diving...perhaps an Olympic exhibition event?
Better idea..let's start a mass transfer of all Cayennes to Russia...that will teach'em a lesson
Old 07-16-2008, 08:12 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Better idea..let's start a mass transfer of all Cayennes to Russia...that will teach'em a lesson
We already did that with the MY03 and MY04 Cayennes.

Quick Reply: OEM Cayenne iPod kit introductory special