2008 GTS review

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 09:42 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Air Force

Received 163 Likes on 81 Posts
Default 2008 GTS review

About a month and a half ago I traded our 2007 Lexus RX 350 and 2008 Corvette Z51 coupe for a 2008 Cayenne GTS. Actually the primary reason was for better seats. I m missing three discs in my lower spine and car seats with support are a high priority for me. The seats in the RX 350 are way too small (short and I'm only 5'9'' and weigh 160) I could handle them for about an hour on the road. The Corvette seats are not much better. It is definately the weak point of a very nice sports car (not as good by any means as my GT3 however) Anyway my wife and I put a little over 500 miles on the GTS in the first three weeks of ownership and then 12 days ago started a 3600+ mile trip in it. WE got back tonight. The GTS is fantastic. I drove over 800 miles today and the seat was great on my back. The heated option is a real plus. The Alcantera keeps you in the seat and the side and back support is fantastic. The numerous adjustments on the power lumbar is also excellent.

As to the vehicle itself WOW lots of power, great brakes and a wonderful suspension, firm but not stiff. Most of the trip was in the normal position although the sport setting was used as we traveled the twisting roads in West Virginia and it would put some sports cars to shame. Lots of room for luggage, the only small minus is that a set of golf clubs can not be laid sideways so we put down one of the back seats.... no big deal. My wife sat in the back on one leg and thought the back seat was a comfortable as any car she had ever been in. Most back seats are too low to the floor.

Fuel mileage as I reported on another thread was also very good with 15 + in town and right at 21 when driving at 65 and just a tenth below 20 when at 70-72 very impressive. The other thing that impressed us both is the Porsche GPS much better and more user friendly than either the Lexus or Corvette and you can input destinations while on the move (passenger should do it for safety) All in all with 4300 miles on the car in less than two months we are very impressed. It is a Porsche without question and a real enjoyable vehicle to drive locally and on log trips. Sorry for the length
Old 06-24-2008, 11:31 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice right up, thanks for sharing! I love my 2004 Cayenne S and look forward to getting another in the future (possibly the GTS).
Old 06-25-2008, 05:52 AM
AndreCT
Racer

While I do not have the milage you have on yours, I agree, the seats are some of the best in the business
Old 06-25-2008, 07:24 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,571 Likes on 983 Posts

I am also very happy with my Cayenne S, but I have to disagree on the comfort of the seats being the best ever. The Saabs that I have owned in the past win this competition, hands down. My last Saab was the 2004 Aero, with the sport seats. They were fantastic.

It appears that the GTS seats are an improvement over the seats in my S - I would like to try them out.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:35 AM
titleist1
Racer

I have had our GTS for less than a week and it is amazing. I had a 2006 CTT and the GTS is simply more fun.The PDCC is a must, makes this big vehicle really handle.Also the sound puts a smile on your face.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:27 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Nice writeup. I feel bad that this new sport seat was not available when I ordered my CTT.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:15 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AndreCT
While I do not have the milage you have on yours, I agree, the seats are some of the best in the business
they are fantastic seats - i never really got comfortable in the turbo seats in those 5 + months.

like the sport seats in the 4S - i find i only need to adjust the recline when going from town to highway.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:21 AM
evolver
Cruisin'

Cayenne has several different options to choose from when it comes to seats. Assuming that it is rarely driven more than one hour straight, does it make any difference, what seats to choose?

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2008, 08:20 PM
JRCNRING
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Nice writeup, I have been postponing my order on my GTS for a couple of months now but reading your post, gets me more convinced that I should just pull the trigger.
I'm still uncertain about trading my M3 for the GTS as I still like that car allot and I use it for Auto X. A friend from the local PCA club tells me most Cayennes are good also for the occasional Auto X or track day. What do you guys think?
Old 07-16-2008, 08:25 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JRCNRING
A friend from the local PCA club tells me most Cayennes are good also for the occasional Auto X or track day. What do you guys think?
They're fantastic
Old 07-17-2008, 05:57 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

One can toss them around for track or auto x, but it is a lot of weight being tossed!
Old 07-23-2008, 05:33 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 160 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
They're fantastic
Granted, I've yet to drive one, but I'd have to think, it depends greatly on your skill level.

No SUV of that size and weight can take repeated, lap after lap, aggressive, threshold braking. Yes, maybe a green driver can take a Cayenne on a track day, but someone who is driving with a higher degree of skill is going to trash those breaks after repeated laps, with that much weight.

I used to have an E53 BMW X5 4.8is and it is still, my favorite, overall, car that I have ever owned. I once used it to tow my 993 C2S to Thunderhill Race track, about 8 hrs. away. Then took the X5 on the track for a couple hot laps.

It was amazingly fast, handled great, etc. But after about 5-6 laps, it was just too heavy and too much work on the breaks.

My point being, you can take almost any vehicle on the track for a couple laps, but can it handle even 8/10's driving for a 30 min, hot lapping session without crazy amounts of brake fade?
Old 07-29-2008, 08:31 PM
AndreCT
Racer

Originally Posted by ltc
They're fantastic
Is that a taste of sarcasm... ? Hmmm, me thinks YES.. It must be
Old 07-29-2008, 08:58 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AndreCT
Is that a taste of sarcasm... ? Hmmm, me thinks YES.. It must be
Whatever would give you that idea?
B-Line apparently disagreed.......Dear B-Line: I wouldn't p!ss on a Cayenne if it were on f!re.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:51 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I wouldn't p!ss on a Cayenne if it were on f!re.
neither would i, it would electrocute you.

Quick Reply: 2008 GTS review