Sponsored by:

Battery maintenance question

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 08:04 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RJFabCab
As usual, the Annals of Rennlist held true.

I only have a spare tire and a subwoofer in the rear... even though the owner's manual has a section on removing the auxiliary battery.

So, I moved on to the driver's seat and realized that I don't have the exact tool to remove the two bolts holding the front of the driver's seat down.

It looks like I need a 12 spline 9 mm bit, and of course, I only have an 8 mm and a 10 mm.

So, I'm getting really tired of this action. I don't have any square bits and don't really want to run about town in search of a 9 mm spline bit. I have some other bits that 'sort' of fit, but I don't want to strip the factory fastener.

Does anyone have a picture of the uncovered battery under the driver's seat? Is it truly a sealed-no maintenance unit? Or do the cells need to be topped off with distilled H2O as my owner's manual suggests?

All the Moll Batteries in my 911s need to be topped off. Go figure.
Thank you for spending the extra time taking pics for us to see. In reference to your last pic, the 12 spline bit, I have never seen this before. I have Torx bits but nothing like this. So my question is were these 2 bolts on extremely tight to a point I need to buy a high quality bit to take them off. Which may be the reason why someone mentioned Porsche recommends replacing these bolts everytime? Or if I were to buy something inexpensive like this will do:

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Grade-11-P...2620447&sr=1-1

I like to pick this up before my battery goes. So when time comes, I only have to buy a fresh battery and not having to worry about finding tools for it.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:14 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dennis C
...Maybe the seat removal procedure explains the $300 charge for a battery...
Doesn't sound too bad, I was charged $150 to change the battery on my 996. And the battery is only under the hood and a simple plastic cover with 2 plastic screws which can be done in less than 5 mins from the time you open the hood to closing it. Long story short, I was told it would be under warranty when I dropped off the car but it wasn't. Not to mention Pacific Porsche spilled a drop of acid on my fender while they were at it
Old 06-04-2008, 08:33 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dennis C
It seems like newer batteries have a fairly limited life. Five years seems optimistic to me. I had to change my Saab battery at 3 years, and had to do the same for my wife's previous Saab. We had a Dodge Durango for 3 years before the Saabs, and it lasted just shy of 3 years.
I dont think its the batteries but rather the cars having more electronics. I had a Civic many years ago which had the original battery that lasted 7-8 yrs with over 150k miles. It was a base model with absolutely no accessories - no power windows or door lock. It didn't even came with a radio or AC And the battery was so small when I brought it to the autoparts store, the guy at the counter told me they dont sell batteries for lawnmowers
Old 06-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by wilfred
And the battery was so small when I brought it to the autoparts store, the guy at the counter told me they dont sell batteries for lawnmowers

I have owned 3 Hondas - 2 Civics and 1 Accord. I never replaced a battery in any of them. I wish I still had one of the Civics now that my son is just taking Driver's Ed classes.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:57 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

LTC,

I like teasing you.... "!" "!" "!" "!" "!"

Simon.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:19 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My photo of my 3 square socket/wrench didn't come out very well, I'll post it but take a better one of the set later today.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 12-24-2014 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:30 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wilfred
Thank you for spending the extra time taking pics for us to see. In reference to your last pic, the 12 spline bit, I have never seen this before. I have Torx bits but nothing like this. So my question is were these 2 bolts on extremely tight to a point I need to buy a high quality bit to take them off. Which may be the reason why someone mentioned Porsche recommends replacing these bolts everytime? Or if I were to buy something inexpensive like this will do:

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Grade-11-P...2620447&sr=1-1

I like to pick this up before my battery goes. So when time comes, I only have to buy a fresh battery and not having to worry about finding tools for it.
Wilfred,

That amazon set will work just fine. The M10 bit is the one you'll need. I wouldn't use anything other than a 12-spline (triple square) since the M10 was a tight fit. The torque spec on the 2 seat bolts is not that high, but I wouldn't want to strip them using some odd fitting bit.

The seat bolts are coated. I just used some blue Loctite on the original bolts and they torqued in just fine.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Wilfred,

That amazon set will work just fine. The M10 bit is the one you'll need. I wouldn't use anything other than a 12-spline (triple square) since the M10 was a tight fit. The torque spec on the 2 seat bolts is not that high, but I wouldn't want to strip them using some odd fitting bit.

The seat bolts are coated. I just used some blue Loctite on the original bolts and they torqued in just fine.
Triple square! that's the name, couldn't remember it for the life of me. Thanks. And yes, it was the M10.

I originally bought my (4 pc.) set because the door strike plate on my old 88 911 cab needed adjusting and the triple square bolt is what's used in it.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:58 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Triple square! that's the name, couldn't remember it for the life of me. Thanks. And yes, it was the M10.

I originally bought my (4 pc.) set because the door strike plate on my old 88 911 cab needed adjusting and the triple square bolt is what's used in it.
Oddly enough, I originally bought the triple square set for the door on the GT3!
Old 06-05-2008, 04:09 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Full Boost
RJ,

Thanks for the detailed write up - I'm sure that when (!) mine needs replacing - I will be grateful YOU have done this

Best,

Simon.
It was hot outside, I was tired, and I thought I didn't have the right tools for the seat bolts... I was off to a running start!

No more guessing about the battery under the seat. Just use a battery maintainer and forget about it until the unit goes on the fritz.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:36 PM
choij2000
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, i know the best place to get a real read on the battery is to hook up the voltometer directly to the battery. on my old bmw, the voltometer could not get a real reading from the battery posts up front, so i'd have to dig in the trunk a lil to ck the battery. but with the cayenne battery being under the seat....i don't see myself checking under there. and i'm with you; i'd rather change the battery on my own terms.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:29 AM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Wilfred,

Thanks and noted. I just ordered 2 sets, 1 in the garage and 1 in the cayenne. You will never know when and where it will go... Even though it does not seem like something I would tackle on the side of the road, I figure its only ten bucks.

Also, I came across this:

http://web.mac.com/renojoints/Touareg/Battery.html

I know the seats are quite different between the two. But what about the brackets underneath? Does the Cayenne seat tilts back enough for the battery to come out? If not, above link might be helpful to some one day.

I do find this interesting/helpful:

Plug in a jump pack or jumper cables to your power socket under the hood to maintain voltage while you remove the battery. These will help to persevere your menu settings and prevent the computer from needing a possible reset.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:37 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Actually, I think the Cayenne looks to be easier than the VW. The Pepper doesn't have that bracket across the front top.

As for the triple square socket, I have the 4 pc S-K set, I don't think I bought it from these guys but you can buy just the 10mm socket if you wish. Just keep in mind it is a 1/2 in drive socket, NOT a 3/8 in drive, the 6 & 8 mm are 3/8 in drives though.

http://www.mytoolstore.com/sk/sk03093.html
Old 06-06-2008, 01:01 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Thanks for reminding me, if I am going to put a set in the Cayenne for emergency, it's a good idea to have a ratchet to go along with it...
Old 01-09-2011, 06:47 PM
SnP
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Just replaced the battery in my 06S. Man that sucked!

Thanks to all who have provided pix/guidance. My only add is that I didn't need to remove the front carpet piece, although as others point out, it's important to remove all the plastic trim from around the rear seat rails even though the manual makes no mention of it.

Quick Reply: Battery maintenance question