'06 cayenne s loaner/demo

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 08:40 AM
choij2000
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 cayenne s loaner/demo

Hi,

I am looking at buying an '06 S loaner/demo and i've come to the conclusion that it was in a fender bender (although the carfax is clean). My mechanic said the hood and the front bumper has been repainted, and i knew it needed an alignment. It finally clicked last night that it was probably in an accident of some sort, and the dealer just fixed it themselves w/o involving the insurance company.

Anyhow, the dealer is selling it as "new" with a pretty good decent discount, but I'm still checking it out to see if everything works. Of course, the manual isn't in the glovebox, so its not that easy to test everything.

So, couple of questions:
- how do u activate the headlight washers?
- when i start the car, all of the lights in the right instrument cluster do NOT turn on; is this normal?
- is the suspension covered under the warranty?
-anything else i should look out for?

thanks in advance.....
Old 05-31-2008, 09:34 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 948 Posts

I am surprised they would sell this as a new vehicle without disclosing that is was in a prior accident. Sounds illegal to me...

Headlight washers can be activated by turning on the headlights, and then activating the windshield washers. I'm not sure on the instrument lights - I'll have to look at mine. I know some of them light up, but I'm not sure if all of them do. I would expect the suspension to be covered under warranty, but I'd make sure before I bought it. Warranty probably won't cover it if suspension components are damaged due to an accident, but would cover it if they are defective parts.

How many miles are on the vehicle? Have you asked the dealer about the damage and the repairs?
Old 05-31-2008, 09:55 AM
choij2000
Track Day

about 13000 miles; dealer says they don't know anything about it (and that may be true since they got it from another dealer--per sticker)
Old 05-31-2008, 10:08 AM
jej3
Three Wheelin'

Received 342 Likes on 171 Posts

Interesting...$13K miles...two dealers have owned it...and they want to sell it as new?

I would take it to another Porsche dealer for an inspection. This other dealer should tell you what is wrong with it mechanically (i.e. Alignment, Lights, etc...)

After you get the report, tell the selling dealer what you want fixed before you'll do a deal....You can even tell them you want a 100K bumper-to-bumper warranty

A 2006 is now 3 years old so you'll need the 100K warranty and whater additional years it provides.

Good Luck and get a GREAT deal
Old 05-31-2008, 11:36 AM
CaptPegLeg
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dealers buy and sell cars every day. They don't even have to squint to see if one has been painted. I'd go punch the guy in the mouth that said he didn't know anything about it. He'll be used to it if that's the kind of crap he tells buyers.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:43 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I agree. The whole thing sounds fishy to me. You'd probably get a great deal on a used 2006 Cayenne with similar mileage, and you'd have a better idea of the history.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:13 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I do not care if the title is new or used. A 3 year old car with 13,000 miles, previous paintwork + alignment problem (probably a lot more serious than a fender bender IMO), and a previous loaner (definitley was not pampered) is no new car to me. I don't know what kind of discounts are they offering you but price should start from used car value, not new.

And given gas prices have skyrocketed in the past few months, these V8 SUVs market price are nowhere near the prices you see on kbb.com or edmunds.com anymore. Don't get me wrong, the Cayenne is an awesome SUV and by far my favorite of the all SUVs I have owned in the past and currently own. But given the details you have provided so far, I look elsewhere. There are plenty of pre-owned Cayennes out there for you to choose from without such questionable history.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wilfred
I do not care if the title is new or used. A 3 year old car with 13,000 miles, previous paintwork + alignment problem (probably a lot more serious than a fender bender IMO), and a previous loaner (definitley was not pampered) is no new car to me. I don't know what kind of discounts are they offering you but price should start from used car value, not new.

And given gas prices have skyrocketed in the past few months, these V8 SUVs market price are nowhere near the prices you see on kbb.com or edmunds.com anymore. Don't get me wrong, the Cayenne is an awesome SUV and by far my favorite of the all SUVs I have owned in the past and currently own. But given the details you have provided so far, I look elsewhere. There are plenty of pre-owned Cayennes out there for you to choose from without such questionable history.
I would agree with Mr. Wilfred.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:50 PM
choij2000
Track Day

well its too late now.....
even though i had some qualms about it, i took the plunge.

here's a link of what i got: http://houston.porschedealer.com/new...ntoryid=257727
(not sure how long it will remain posted)

i ended up paying 49.5k and i negotiated somethings to "make it new": new tires, new rear pads, oil change, 4 wheel alignment, and i got them to write on the service docs that they need to do a full inspection to assure the car is free of damages and up to factory specs (and if there is any problems, they will cover alignments and rotations. obviously i'm not a lawyer, but i tried to get some wording in there to protect myself.

thanks for y'alls input though! i'll let u know how it goes.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:29 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Well, good luck with it. It is certainly a nice looking vehicle.

I took a quick scan of ebay and there are a few out there that would compete. There is a silver 2006 Cayenne S, nicely loaded with 6,676 miles with a "buy it now" price of $46,900. There is also a red one with 10,863 miles and a "buy it now" price of $45,900. There is a silver Ti edition, similar to the one you bought with 17,314 miles and a "buy it now" price of $48,800. Throw in the new tires and such, and you aren't too far off...

I hope it works out well for you and there aren't any issues.

Quick Reply: '06 cayenne s loaner/demo