Sponsored by:

Questions on the Cayenne Thanks in advance

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 07:08 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Questions on the Cayenne Thanks in advance

I am looking to downsize the number of vehicles I have and one of those is my truck which I use to tow with. I'm looking at either a Cayenne S or GTS as either would provide me a good traveling vehicle with lots of load space and a tow vehicle for my Trailex trailer. It would also give me seating for four to five adults.

Now the question which one. I have turned to the Cayenne for 1. Porsche quality, 2. tow capacity without being a large vehicle (my wife said the Tahoe was far too big), 3. comfortable and supportive seats ( I have a low back issue and her Lexus RX 350 has fair seats at best, they are too short hip to knee and have no side support).

So all that said I am open to comment on the front seats, ride and handling of the vehicle and why I should look at the GTS over the S other than it is cool. I tow either my 997 GT3 or my 1983 Euro spec 911Sc (track car) on the Trailex so never over 4000 lbs. Lastly what is the true highway fuel milage people are getting with the Cayenne.... gas at $4.00 per gal that is at least a consideration. My thanks for your comments.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:44 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,290 Likes on 806 Posts

I haven't towed with my Cayenne, so I can't help you there.

I have the comfort seats in my Cayenne, and they are not bad, although not the most comfortable seat I have ever owned. The side bolsters on the seating surface are very firm and not very wide. These can be a little uncomfortable until you get used to them. As far as the lumbar and low back support, they are pretty good. I have no trouble driving for a long time. So far, I've never been in a car that had seats that were more comfortable than the sport seats that were in my Saab 9-5 Aero.

My driving is generally a mix of city and highway, and I tend to average about 17.5 mpg. On trips when I have had mostly highway driving, I average about 18.6. I will occasionally get over 19, but it is rare.

You'll get comments that vary considerably on Porsche quality when it comes to the Cayenne. Some people have had better experiences than others. I've had a few minor things here and there, but overall I am pleased with the quality. From what I hear, it is a departure from the quality level seen in other Porsche vehicles, but I've never owned another, so I wouldn't know.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:29 PM
leek
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 08 Ctt that has been flawless through 14,000 miles of hard effort. We have towed a 7000 lb load over several mountain passes, several winter journeys over the passes as well. Great utility vehicle. I am getting about 14-15 mpg in mixed driving and 17-18 out on the road. Best overall vehicle I have ever owned and still brings a grin on a daily basis
Old 04-20-2008, 03:18 AM
Cannoli
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as using a Cayenne as a tow vehicle, which ever "configuration" you get, I lean towards the air suspension option (standard on 955/957 Cayenne Turbos and optional on all other configurations).

Also, I noticed that the 957 Cayenne GTS has "sport" seats. If you have lower back issues, you should get some seat time each type of seat (I believe there are 3 to 4 different types / materials that are offered).
Old 04-20-2008, 12:41 PM
Noesis
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cannoli
As far as using a Cayenne as a tow vehicle, which ever "configuration" you get, I lean towards the air suspension option (standard on 955/957 Cayenne Turbos and optional on all other configurations).

Also, I noticed that the 957 Cayenne GTS has "sport" seats. If you have lower back issues, you should get some seat time each type of seat (I believe there are 3 to 4 different types / materials that are offered).
The GTS comes with air suspension also.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:16 PM
Cannoli
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Noesis
The GTS comes with air suspension also.
Yes, it does, but can also be ordered with a standard "steel" suspension. The key is to make sure one has a Cayenne with the air suspension.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:48 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

I appreciate the comments made in response to my post. My wife and I are still considering this purchase. We have taken the toyota Tacoma truck off the table and possibly replaced it with her 2007 Lexus RX 350. A very nice vehicle with outstanding gas milage BUT the front seats are TOO short from butt to knee with no lateral support and thus aggrevate my low back problem on any drive over about two hours. The GTS seats feel great on my back the one time I sat in one. The Lexus also will only tow 3500 lbs even with the towing package. Problem is she likes it but was also impressed when she drove the Cayenne S. Her first comment when she got back was WOW what great brakes. We have only so far decided that if we do make a switch it will be her Lexus and our 2008 Corvette for a Cayenne GTS with Tiptronic ( my wife can drive manual but does not want to, and after 41 years of marriage that is a not issue) So again I ask for comments pro and con. Our dealer has located a white one with tan interior. I told her it would look great parked next to our White 997 GT3 and our white 1983 911 Euro Sc. plus we would reducing by one car. Don't know if that sold. For those that have a Cayenne have you adapted it for an ipod .... saves taking lots of CD's on a trip. One last question, on the highway (not towing and going the speed limit) what is the real fuel milage people are getting with the V8 Cayenne? Well I have rambled but hopefully have prompted folks to comment. Thanks
Old 04-27-2008, 03:41 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,290 Likes on 806 Posts

I average about 18.6 on the highway with the V8, without towing.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:43 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

I drove a 6 cyl. Cayenne today and was pleasently surprised at the performance. I had been told by some that the 6 cyl. was a dog but this is not so. Now it does not perform like the V8 but easily as well as my wife's Lexus RX 350 that weighs much less. Yes I know the GTS is still the one to have, but I would appreciate comments from those that have the basic Cayenne with the 6 cyl as to , happy with their choice? or wished they had moved to the "S" or "GTS" I do understand seats, etc are different on the GTS. Thanks
Old 04-30-2008, 07:33 PM
chance
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 29 Posts

tow a 24' grady-white (7600+ lbs) around on a regular basis no problem, me thinks it a great tow vehicle.

seats/ergonomics are second to none (in the category) imho

build quality seems to be there–i have never had an issue this being my second cayenne, although there are plenty of posts that say otherwise.

Cayenne is just down right good fun, and there are not many utility vehicles (dare i say truck?) which that can be said about.

Quick Reply: Questions on the Cayenne Thanks in advance