Sponsored by:

Lurker Newbie First Post - 05 CTT First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 12:17 PM
mattics
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lurker Newbie First Post - 05 CTT First Impressions

Hi all, I've been lurking for the past couple months and decided to post my first couple months' impressions with a new-to-me 2005 CTT. This board proved invaluable in terms of letting me know what I was getting into with a pre-owned Cayenne. Not sure how insightful this will be, but here goes:

My first task was to decide between a Titanium 2006 CS (13K miles, CPO, asking ~$50K) and a Black 2005 CTT (17K miles, also CPO, asking ~$65K). After test driving both cars repeatedly over the course of an afternoon (both were thankfully at the same dealership) I was absolutely in love with the Turbo. Unbelievable driving characteristics, great comfort, almost all the bells and whistles you could want, and just looks better than the S. Great exhaust note and press-you-back-into-your-seat-FAST. Note I also test drove an '08 Toureg but was completely underwhelmed.

I was a little concerned about buying an '05 but with the CPO, I figured I would at least be covered on some of the bigger issues and theres no way I'll go over the 100K miles in the next three years. After working the price to $59K there was no turning back!

So...I've had her for about 6 weeks and am still in lust/love with it. Love the speed, seats are unbelievably comfortable, and having a SUV is convenient as hell but it's not a beast. Most surprisingly I'm very impressed with how it feels just driving around town and when in Chicago's infernal traffic. Still fiddling with the suspension settings to see the differences. And I still almost drool everytime I walk out into the parking lot.
Favorite bells and whistles:
Park assist
Keyless entry
Navi is easy to use and pretty accurate for 3-4 years old
Great soundsystem
Comfortable seats (seat warmers will leave grill marks on your rump if you turn it up too high)

Turn-offs:
Gas mileage is even worse than I expected (~11MPG) but gotta pay for all those horses somehow!
And the (beat to death) lack of an ipod interface.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the GTS does, I can see myself ponying up for one in a couple years. Anyway, thanks to all the board members for their insight and information! I'll post again if I have anything new to report.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,259 Likes on 790 Posts

Congrats on the CTT. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

If Chicago is anything like northern Indiana right now, all I can say is: "Watch out for that pot hole!"

After our winter, the pot holes are the worst I've ever seen. I think some of them are over 18 inches deep. Not a good combination with big wheels and low profile tires.

Good luck!
Old 04-04-2008, 09:50 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mattics
.....And I still almost drool everytime I walk out into the parking lot.
Good grief....

Originally Posted by mattics
.....Favorite bells and whistles:.....
Great sound system...

More posthumous kudos for Larry (R.I.P. )....it's true, you're only really appreciated after you're dead.

Oh yes, welcome, yadayada, blahblahblah....
Old 04-05-2008, 12:03 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great choice!

I have an 05 TT as well. And never a problem. First set of tires 10K miles and second set 14K, go figure.

My 04 TT was totaled in an accident, and believe me this is the car you want to be in if you ever have a wreck. A fact often forgotten or overlooked on these threads; and the pedantic thinking that surfaces. That said the Cayenne is not perfect.

I have driven the 08 with PDCC and while I love it, I am not convinced the improvements are worth the $ delta.

My kids always tell me buy the first generation, skip the second generation (because improvements are marginal (so as not to disappoint the first generation); and go for the 3rd generation. E.G. Apple!!

I await the next model revision (not the 09 and touchscreen navigation); if it is not a quantum leap I'll be happy in my Tundra Diesel pickup!!!!
Old 04-06-2008, 10:30 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Colm
My 04 TT was totaled in an accident, and believe me this is the car you want to be in if you ever have a wreck. A fact often forgotten or overlooked on these threads; and the pedantic thinking that surfaces.
No, IMHO you want to be in a full framed cold rolled American steel vehicle...like an Excursion, SuperDuty, et. al.
How about a duel.....Cayenne vs Excursion....drive 20 paces, turn and joust.

Originally Posted by Colm
if it is not a quantum leap I'll be happy in my Tundra Diesel pickup!!!!
Tundra Diesel.....Jumbo Shrimp......oxymoron anyone?

Quick Reply: Lurker Newbie First Post - 05 CTT First Impressions