Sponsored by:

HAWK HPS pads, 5,000 mile report

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 01:38 PM
charlieXS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HAWK HPS pads, 5,000 mile report

Ok so it's been 5000 miles since I replaced the front rotors/pads. I went with OE Porsche rotors from sunset imports... and purchased HAWK HPS pads from tire rack.

I bedded the pads as detailed by HAWK. It was noisy and lacked power for the first couple miles but improved mile after mile after that... within days it was quiet and performed identically to the OE pads re: stopping power and may even be smoother with less "grabbiness".

After 5000 miles I've noticed that the rotors are a little bit scratched up. It seems that the rotors are probably a bit soft... and the pads are quite firm, hence the low dust and long life. At this point I'm not sure how long the rotors will last but we'll see.

DUST: what dust? Wheels look like I just washed them a week after the last wash.

Rears: I went with HAWK HPS pads and kept the original rotors. They were only about 40-50% worn so I thought they had another 25,000 miles on them. So far so good... again they were noisy at first and then calmed down and broke in just fine.

Depending on rotor life... I'll give them something between a B+ and A.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:35 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whoa now that is a switch on classic automotive brake engineering - soft rotors and hard pads, where the rotors are replaced instead of the pads!

But it WOULD be nice to reduce some of the brake dust.

For us soft pad types, I do suggest Mequiar's Wheel Brightener. Spray a diluted mixture of that on your wheels, hit it with the hose, and even the interior circumference will be clean, with no scrubbing needed. Best wheel cleaner I have ever found.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:57 PM
Coach 11
Instructor

Cool

Originally Posted by charlieXS
Ok so it's been 5000 miles since I replaced the front rotors/pads. I went with OE Porsche rotors from sunset imports... and purchased HAWK HPS pads from tire rack.

I bedded the pads as detailed by HAWK. It was noisy and lacked power for the first couple miles but improved mile after mile after that... within days it was quiet and performed identically to the OE pads re: stopping power and may even be smoother with less "grabbiness".

After 5000 miles I've noticed that the rotors are a little bit scratched up. It seems that the rotors are probably a bit soft... and the pads are quite firm, hence the low dust and long life. At this point I'm not sure how long the rotors will last but we'll see.

DUST: what dust? Wheels look like I just washed them a week after the last wash.

Rears: I went with HAWK HPS pads and kept the original rotors. They were only about 40-50% worn so I thought they had another 25,000 miles on them. So far so good... again they were noisy at first and then calmed down and broke in just fine.

Depending on rotor life... I'll give them something between a B+ and A.

Great info as i plan to purchase Hawk pads for front/back in the near future....the dust unbelivable!
Old 03-29-2008, 02:32 PM
charlieXS
Pro

Originally Posted by Coach 11
Great info as i plan to purchase Hawk pads for front/back in the near future....the dust unbelivable!
seriously... there's SO little dust that I'm not sure if the dust that IS there is road dust or brake dust.

Quick Reply: HAWK HPS pads, 5,000 mile report