Old 03-22-2008, 04:09 AM
geoff w
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by choij2000
which is more reliable?

thanks in advance,
jc
I talked to my service writer who handles my Boxster and Carrera a lot over the past few years before we decided to order a Cayenne. According to him, the V-8 engines are pretty bulletproof. We ordered an S over a base because the S drove better. I think the V-6 engine comes from VW, and then Porsche reworks the head.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Wazoo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile V8

Originally Posted by geoff w
I talked to my service writer who handles my Boxster and Carrera a lot over the past few years before we decided to order a Cayenne. According to him, the V-8 engines are pretty bulletproof. We ordered an S over a base because the S drove better. I think the V-6 engine comes from VW, and then Porsche reworks the head.
I also went for the V8...in honesty, I did not drive the V6 but like the power.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:10 PM
neverpa
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove the V6 and the V8 and the Turbo. I ordered a V8. The V6 is not bad, but then I guess it "wants" the V8 and the extra torque and power are nice. It's not that the V6 is bad, just that I felt the V8 gave a bit more of what I expected. I think particularly with the tiptronic, the extra torque in the V8 improves the performance quite a bit. The turbo is really fun, but in daily driving situations (in the USA) can't go fast anyway :0. So I settled on the manual transmission V8 (GTS).
Old 03-23-2008, 12:11 AM
choij2000
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by geoff w
Yeah, thanks. This is what i was thinking, too. Because I've heard that other porsche's(911's for example) are pretty reliable, and i knew the v6 is just a modified vw, whereas the v8 is a true porsche engine. I'm looking for a daily driver, so the power is not as big a deal as the reliability to me.

(but i'd still like to hear from other owners)

Quick Reply: v6 or v8?