"Check Dipped Beam"

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 02:32 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Check Dipped Beam"

No! not while towing so calm down everyone.

I have just started getting this message and then the bulb goes dark. It works for a few seconds before quitting. Only on the left side.

Any ideas on where to start?
Old 03-10-2008, 02:35 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Socket and/or contacts.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:09 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That message has been popping up for me couple of times a week practically since day one. Dealer's never able to find anything wrong, it don't bother me and I've learned to ignore it

Btw, I've checked the lights and everything seems to be on. What am I supposed to be looking for?
Old 03-10-2008, 03:29 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My headlight does go out. I'm going to try to clean the contacts and see if that does anything. After that, I guess it's off to the dealer.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:48 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JPhillips-998
My headlight does go out. I'm going to try to clean the contacts and see if that does anything. After that, I guess it's off to the dealer.
When you take the assembly out, the contacts might very well look perfect, but "clean" them anyway. The Cayenne is weird like that. It appears that if there is the least little increase in resistance you can have issues with warnings. And of course in many cases the bulb will still be lit.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:22 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,473 Likes on 924 Posts

I've had a similar issue... almost always the passenger's side bulb, but once the driver's side. I've also had the passenger's side turn signal give me an error message. Mine seems to happen more often when it is below 20 degrees F. I'll get around to cleaning the contacts at some point...
Old 03-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

same error mssg. here although lights seem to be working fine, taking the car in for service this week, will post any findings.
Sam
Old 03-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course not while towing - everyone knows not to tow in the dark with a Cayenne.

As has been said - clean contacts
Old 03-10-2008, 08:07 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Shamus
Of course not while towing - everyone knows not to tow in the dark with a Cayenne.
Unless equipped with Option 1DD: Maglites, D batteries and Racer's tape.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:12 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Before everyone goes off looking for a #2 pencil eraser to start 'cleaning' electrical contacts......

2 things at play here:

1. Poor connector design, leading to low spring force between bulb assembly electrical contact and connector contact. This can permit water vapor to impinge, leading to electrolytic corrosion.

2. Ohmic (I2R) heating (due to #1 above) leading to further degredation of the aforementioned contacts.

One/Both of these will lead to (intermittent) problems with the Cayenne's in vehicle bulb diagnostic systems.

The correct fix is to simply replace the connector assemblies, but that is time and $$.
So, the next 'correct' fix is to do TWO things....
A. Clean the contacts
B. 'Reform' the contacts in order to provide a more secure/lower resistance electrical connection.

Unfortunately, over time, it is likely to return.

Or at least that's what I heard somewhere on the internet......
Old 03-10-2008, 08:12 PM
JRCTT
Instructor

What is the recommended cleaning method?
Old 03-10-2008, 08:13 PM
ozr
Racer

Lightbulb

I have just started getting this message and then the bulb goes dark. It works for a few seconds before quitting. Only on the left side.

Any ideas on where to start?
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/378999-flickering-xenon-lights.html

page 2...my response...

OZRacing
Old 03-10-2008, 09:59 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JRCTT
What is the recommended cleaning method?
The easiest is a pencil/pen eraser, preferably the fine, hard kind used for pens. Make sure you don't leave residue in there.

I agree with Lewis - if you can take a small pick or blade and tweak contacts so they exert more pressure on the bulb, that is a good thing.

There is a good chance that there is an electrochemical process occurring, only because resistance has changed, but I think going to the dealer and installing new contacts would be total overkill and would not affect the issue long-term.

I'll bet your headlamp connector looks fine.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:14 AM
sigs
Racer

While you're at it, and if you don't want to deal with repeated troubleshooting, you might want to go ahead and replace the bulb. I had the same issue, repeatedly. Left headlamp would blink momentarily and warning light would come on. Would reliably happen during hard acceleration during a left turn, occasionally on a right turn. After multiple trips to the dealer (they first tried cleaning the contacts, then pulling and reseating the unit, then replacing the switch, then multiple other attempts I can't recall), they finally figured out that it was the bulb. Once replaced, the problem disappeared. Two months later, found out that an acquaintance had virtually the same experience with his '04. I still suspect it was the contacts, but on the chance that it could be the bulb, that could be a cheap alternative to much frustration and trouble.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Is a eraser better for this than Electrical Contact Cleaner (something like the CDC product)?

Quick Reply: "Check Dipped Beam"