Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you trade in your Cayenne for a MB R-class?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 06:28 PM
Tso GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you trade in your Cayenne for a MB R-class?

Does anyone have any experience with MB R-class? We might be looking into a bigger vehicle and apparently the R-class is consider the best looking Mini Van out there. Please provide any thoughts or advice. Thank you very much in advance.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:43 PM
SnP
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

'best looking mini-van'?

I'm not sure those words belong together.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Tso GT3
Instructor

Is the MB R-class more reliable than the Porsche Cayenne? I am starting to worry about my CTT due to depreciation and mainly reliability issue. It's like the truck has nothing to offer except the performance but than the turbo lag are so bad on these trucks. I am sorry it just doesn't feel like it was once an over 100k + truck and the build quality is only at par. I don't think I need to repeat myself for all the negativity around the air already. I just really need to know if anyone had both vehicles and can provide an honest comparison even though they are apples and oranges. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:05 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tso GT3
Does anyone have any experience with MB R-class? We might be looking into a bigger vehicle and apparently the R-class is consider the best looking Mini Van out there. Please provide any thoughts or advice. Thank you very much in advance.
In a word: No.
More words?
1. MB Dealer service here = bad.
2. Porsche Dealer service here = One of the best in USA
3. MB R Class - FUGLY and impractical IMHO.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:11 PM
Tso GT3
Instructor

Madfox,
Which vehicle would you pick that offers 3 row seats? I never thought I would look into mini van but they are on the market for a reason right! I guess I would look into a CTTS years down the road after making the switch and if I ever feel the need to have another Porsche SUV. I know one thing both vehicle depreciate a lot. I mean MB probably depreciate more than Porsche in general.
Do you guys know why MB drop R63 and R500 besides low demand (not reliable?)?
Old 02-20-2008, 07:16 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Madfox,
Which vehicle would you pick that offers 3 row seats? I never thought I would look into mini van but they are on the market for a reason right! I guess I would look into a CTTS years down the road after making the switch and if I ever feel the need to have another Porsche SUV. I know one thing both vehicle depreciate a lot. I mean MB probably depreciate more than Porsche in general.
Do you guys know why MB drop R63 and R500 besides low demand (not reliable?)?
Honestly? When our 3 kids were rugrats and we knew they would trash a vehicle.. we got 3 Grand Caravans in a row (kept all for 49.5K miles and then traded).. I'd get a 100K warranty and save the $$$ for a sportscar "toy" (new or used) and buy a Grand Caravan.. we've even thought about it for trips to the beach (4 hours).. our kids all commented when they were all at home for Christmas on the new Grand Caravan.. Chrysler has finally done what we wanted years ago.. swivel chairs.. with a table .. you seen the commercial where four people are playing cards? plus all the other gadgets? I'm assuming that you are looking for transportation with kids. If not and you can't lower yourself to a Chrysler then I'd really start to think about SUV's over Q7 or R class. That's my two cents? Anyone else want to "dive in"?
Old 02-20-2008, 11:13 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default since i have no kids...

i must be an expert, right? however, if the chrysler is too low for you, look at the Toyota Sienna or Honda Odyssey. the honda came in first in one study i saw on safety (ahead of the mercedes S and E class). the last study i could find put the toyota and honda in 9th and 10th respectively. i would trust my life in a wreck to either with no qualms, not a small recommendation since i have seen 3 red lights run in front of me TODAY....

otherwise, i would go conventionally, the chevy tahoe, or some mutation of it like the caddy. these have come a long way in reliability (beats the P hands down) and they also have Onstar, which is a very, very good feature.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:27 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

I have both the Cayenne S and the Merc R500. The R-class is a grat family car and is perfect for my wife. Would I like it for my daily driver--no, but it is ideal for the family car. Stylish vehicle IMO with a very nice interior. We have the DVDs in the rear headrests, the ability to listen to other audio sources in the year through headphones while listening to a separate source throughout the rest of the cabin, 3 rows that actually seat real human beings in all three rows. This is a very spacious vehicle--a bit longer than an S-class or Escalade. The big V8 in the R500 goes pretty well, but it is no Cayenne. I am selling the Cayenne S on Monday and getting a Turbo S, so you see what direction I am moving in. We will keep the R-class for another year, but may get a somewhat smaller vehicle the next time around--we only have one child.

I have liked the R500, though it went through tires in around 30,000 miles, has had a few minor bugs that needed to be fixed at the dealership. Our Merc service is great--on par or better than the Porsche service. So, we have few complaints.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:34 AM
Tso GT3
Instructor

Great write up Statman! So I guess you are telling not to move and stay where I am at right?
Old 02-21-2008, 12:43 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Great write up Statman! So I guess you are telling not to move and stay where I am at right?
It really depends on why you want to make the move. If your priority is having a great family vehicle, then I would say make the move. If you want to retain a more sporty P-car feel and still be able to carry around the family, then keep the Cayenne. The Cayenne is not the family vehicle in my household. I use my Cayenne to get around primarily in the winter in Wisconsin and to get my P-car "fix" of sorts while the 997S cab sits under a cover in the garage. The R-class could never provide that sort of enjoyment for me (though it is good in the snow), but I love having it as our dedicated family-mobile.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:34 AM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the comments above.

Buy a car that excites you, then buy a mini-van to use as an disposable item. Mercedes R class is ugly, unreliable, and unpopular. Mercedes dealers try very hard to get them off the lot, and depreciation is horrendous. You don't want to spend so much money on these attributes.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:35 AM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

The R-class is not really a minivan. If you need more space than a Cayenne and wants a Mercedes, I suggest you look into ML or GL. Even Mercedes admit the R is a failure. It is not a minivan nor SUV. I think it is refer as a space wagon in Asian or European countries. Kinda like a people mover or something.

Although you can get amazing deals on them, your resale value will reflect as well. It is just not something most people look at unless it is an amazing deal...
Old 02-21-2008, 03:16 PM
JRCTT
Instructor

While not an over expensive German car I think the Mazda CX9 is one of the best in class

oh and NO I wouldn't trade...
Old 02-21-2008, 03:30 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

check out Lexus LX570 if you need 3 rows SUV.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:41 PM
Hauser_III
Racer

We looked at the MB R-class before getting the Cayenne, and had to rule it out immediately, due to the lack of headroom in the front. The roofline is fairly sloped, and I can't fit in the front seats---and I'm not quite 6'2". Plus, my wife said the visibility out of the rear window, which is small, was really bad.

Quick Reply: Would you trade in your Cayenne for a MB R-class?