Sponsored by:

Tracking Vehicle History??

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 02:09 PM
pokerjarvis
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Tracking Vehicle History??

I purchased my '04 CS used, from a dealership. The manuals are somewhat incomplete. Is there some way to track my vehicle's history. Of course, I'm interested in any work/repairs that have been done, as well as the original purchase date to determine if the warranty is still live.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:12 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pokerjarvis
I purchased my '04 CS used, from a dealership. The manuals are somewhat incomplete. Is there some way to track my vehicle's history. Of course, I'm interested in any work/repairs that have been done, as well as the original purchase date to determine if the warranty is still live.
A Porsche dealer can look up your VIN and tell you what they can about it. Keep in mind that work that was not done at a Porshce dealer will not show up in their system.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:14 PM
atlshaver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And from what I understand the national system will only show warranty work. The specific dealer that did the service work is the only one that can give you that history.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:45 PM
pokerjarvis
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. I've contacted 3 dealerships 'in the area' (aka: within 500 miles) and am awaiting their response. So far: bubkus. I'm wondering about CAR-FAX. I googled my VIN and learned that the boys at CAR-FAX have '16 reports' on my vehicle. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that their 'reports' will tell me squat. Has anyone played the CAR FAX game? What kinda info do you get? Is it just accident reports and banking bs?
Old 02-20-2008, 06:04 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've found www.AutoCheck.com to have info on cars that CarFax did not. Was looking at a 04 Pepper the dealer listed (and provided the Carfax report for) as being free of accidents but when I ran the AutoCheck report it popped up as having an accident.

To me, whenever I start looking for a car I pay the $25 fee for about 2 mos of unlimited reports, it helps me weed out the really problem vehicles.

Sometimes you will get service info in the report, other times you'll only get emissions/registration info. Don't really know why that is.

They're not perfect by any means but well worth the $25, IMHO. Also, each time I open an account I re-run the report on my own cars so I have the latest and greatest in that car's file, for when I get ready to sell it.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:31 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Due to privacy and/or legal concerns, the dealer is under zero obligation to share personal information with you, unless the previous owner(s) grant a release to said information.

Check under the driver's seat, when you find the previous owner's last will and testament, look for the paragraph entitled "and for the next sucker who buys the vehicle that caused me to take my own life, I hereby grant you full access to the instrument of your destruction"....or something to that effect.

Or, contact the dealer and ask them to contact the previous owner (likely the executor of his/her estate, since they're probably dead) and ask for permission.

Quick Reply: Tracking Vehicle History??