Sponsored by:

mObridge Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 03:37 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mObridge Install Question

I have had my mObridge installed. However, because I have never had the cd changer in my car, and in fact did not even have the MOST cable in the changer area, I needed to have the CDC enabled on my CDR23.

Unfortunately, the Porsche dealer has not been able to enable the CDC because he cannot communicate with the radio using the PIWIS. His thoughts were that the mObridge uint was blocking the connection, or there is another issue with the fiber optics. We tried the bypass switch to no avail.

My radio works fine, and I have no error messages. Additionally, the tech said that he can access all other systems in the car, but cannot access the radio.

Has this happened to anyone? Any thoughts before I remove the mObridge unit and try all over again?

Last edited by alsamrob; 01-29-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:06 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alsamrob
........... Unfortunately, the Porsche dealer has not been able to enable the CDC because he cannot communicate with the radio using the PIWIS. His thoughts were that the mObridge uint was blocking the connection, or there is another issue with the fiber optics. We tried the bypass switch to no avail.......... Any thoughts before I remove the mObridge unit and try all over again?
Don't remove.. call mObridge toll-free number..
1-888-7-MOBRIDGE toll free in the U.S. (1-888-766-2743) - your dealer's tech rep. is an idiot.

other than that I have no strong opinion.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:16 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

Originally Posted by MadFox
Don't remove.. call mObridge toll-free number..
1-888-7-MOBRIDGE toll free in the U.S. (1-888-766-2743) - your dealer's tech rep. is an idiot.

other than that I have no strong opinion.
Thanks, will do. BTW, I have been emailing with Scott at mObridge and he has been terrific. Very helpful.

Funny thing is, the service desk rep told me the tech is the best they have for these issues. Didn't make sense to me that everything else was working and could be accessed, but they couldn't access the radio.

Anyone recommend a dealer in the Boston area that is up to speed on this issue?
Old 01-29-2008, 11:29 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are bigger issues if you cant access the Headunit, the Mobridge shouldnt block anything to do with the PIWIS. PIWIS communiacates over CAN-BUS, not fiberoptic. Your tech should know this.

Mark
Old 01-30-2008, 10:04 AM
alsamrob
Instructor

Originally Posted by marky522
There are bigger issues if you cant access the Headunit, the Mobridge shouldnt block anything to do with the PIWIS. PIWIS communiacates over CAN-BUS, not fiberoptic. Your tech should know this.

Mark
Excellent news. mObridge has recommended putting the car back to stock by removing the mObridge unit from the ring, then enabling the CDC, then reconnecting the mObridge unit.

However, if I read what you are saying correctly, that will not likely fix the issue.

Were there any CDR23s prodcued that were not CDC compatible? My pepper never had a CDC.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:20 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I believe by verture of the "CDR23" nominclature - those units/models are CDC compatible...
Old 01-30-2008, 10:52 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Mark
like I said his dealer's tech rep is an idiot!
Old 01-30-2008, 01:36 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

like I said his dealer's tech rep is an idiot!
Agreed. Any ideas to solve the problem? Check with another dealer?
Old 01-30-2008, 01:40 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Agreed. Any ideas to solve the problem? Check with another dealer?
There may be a loop problem.. that is why they're saying re-connect the optics as it was and see if you'll still have an issue. If you don't then the connectors are probably not fitting properly to the mObridge unit. However, all that being said, while I did mine myself and I'm no techie.. it may be other issues since you're not PCM equipped. MM2? Larry?
Old 01-30-2008, 03:19 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

..... Larry?
Larry has no comment
Old 01-30-2008, 03:33 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

Originally Posted by ltc
Larry has no comment
Is that because you don't have the answer? Or is it because you don't like (humping) dogs?
Old 01-30-2008, 03:53 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont believe you are using the MOST ring for anything in your Cayenne. It would be used for amp & CDC, but you said you didnt have a most connector in the rear compartment so i would assume your Cayenne doesnt use it. Sorry for the vaugness of my answer but I havent done any aftermarket work on a Cayenne, lots on sportscars though...

Mark
Old 01-30-2008, 04:02 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Is that because you don't have the answer? Or is it because you don't like (humping) dogs?
Yes
Old 01-30-2008, 04:07 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

I dont believe you are using the MOST ring for anything in your Cayenne. It would be used for amp & CDC, but you said you didnt have a most connector in the rear compartment so i would assume your Cayenne doesnt use it. Sorry for the vaugness of my answer but I havent done any aftermarket work on a Cayenne, lots on sportscars though...

Mark
Mark, I have the BOSE system, and do, in fact, have a MOST loop. mObridge was connected into the MOST system at the BOSE amp in the rear compartment, above where the CDC would be, because I did not have the MOST connector for the CDC (didn't get the CDC option). Everything seems to be fine with the exception of the inability to enable the CDC.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:38 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

UPDATE: Dealer enabled my CDC after I removed the mObridge from the MOST loop. That's the good news. Bad News: Went to pick it up and the battery was dead. Good stuff. Still at the dealer getting a charge.

Hopefully, I will have the mObridge up and running this weekend.

Quick Reply: mObridge Install Question