Sponsored by:

Tire chains

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 10:00 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Tire chains

Specifically to the Cayennes, is everyone putting them on all 4 wheels? Or just the rear?

I have searched before starting a new thread and based on other posts, I will be getting Thule chains from Vulcan per a member recommendation. The spike spideris cool but very expensive!

I also read an old thread saying Rover only recommends putting chains on the rear because all the steering might damage the chains. Although it sorta make sense, but most articles I have read online seems to indicate 4 wheels 4 chains. One even said on Mercedes, you must put chains on all 4 wheels otherwise the computer goes whacky after setting off the traction/slip controls too many times...

Oh I do have the original 19" Conti summer tires but I do live in SoCal which means I will not be using the chains regularly. Only when I go to local mountains or drive up north.

Please advise, thanks!
Old 01-27-2008, 12:31 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the Thule chains are very good. Be sure to get the exact size for the tire.
I bought from Vulcan and they delivered pronto.

By the way, you'll be putting the chains on the front wheels, not the rears. You want steering and braking.

If you buy two sets you can go further and climb steeper, but that just means getting stuck in a worse situation ... : )

I've been using the Thule chains on 20's and they're an excellent design, easy (as chains go) to fit and strong (I've not spared them at all and they deal with the abuse, but the little plastic cups design to protect the rim at the bead do get ripped off ... I've lost two of about 40 in total on a pair of chains I'd guess.)

It's true to caution against steering on solid surfaces with chains, the forces can be enough to break the chains (not uncommon on flimsy chains on front drive minivans from personal experience with a neighbor's car.)

I know that the 4Matic transmission is trying very hard to "kick in" when there's any slip at all and I know the Cayenne traction management is getting a bit confused, but it does come to it senses (sensors?) and find traction even in far more difficult conditions than I expected to be able to traverse. That said, the whole idea of the traction management system, especially for off-road vehicles, is to deal with gross discrepancies between each wheel, so the suggestion of the system (especially the Mercedes system) getting "whacky" just doesn't ring true. The systems resort to a "synchronous" mode (for want of the term) where all four wheels are held at 1:1 rotations. I've experienced this with the Cayenne. Give it some throttle input in "4 low locked" and it will rip and tear at the ground for a bit, then it will just balance the front and rear pairs (since the center diff is locked) and clamber as best it can. The traction warning light will be on, but the car will go forward and that's the name of the game.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:55 AM
pred8or
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know about all four wheels on the Cayenne but I just purchased chains for my 4x4 Kubota tractor and they really tried to convince me of the back wheels only. There reasons were the chains could do damage to the steering components and also the extra grip could actually damage the front driveshaft. This actually made sense to me but since the chains would only be used on snow (hence not that much grip) I went with all four wheels anyway. I would have to imagine similar situation with the Cayenne.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:12 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

With dedicated snow tires, I do not own chains. When I am in deep snow, I turn off the PSM so all wheels are spinning.

Quick Reply: Tire chains