Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CD Changer Won't Recognize 1 CD

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008 | 01:38 PM
rbaron
Racer

Default CD Changer Won't Recognize 1 CD

I reloaded my cd changer (04 CS, PCM, 6 CD cartridge in the trunk) with some new cds and it will not recognize one cd....disk 2 of a 2 cd set: Bruce Springsteen Live in Dublin.

It is apparently not the changer or cartridge's fault because I can move this cd to different slots on the cartridge and wherever it is, it goes unrecognized.

I don't see any apparent faults on the cd. Does anyone have any ideas about solving this minor mystery of life?
Old 01-16-2008 | 02:23 PM
HD2pct
Pro

This isn't necessarily a slick way of handling it, and I couldn't tell you what is wrong with the CD you have, but there is one way that would work -

Rip all the tracks from that problematic CD onto your PC, and then burn them to another CD (CD-R).

You'll need to make sure that it's a brand that will work, possibly based on having made some of your own in the past. I have found that the changer is finnicky that way. There are only certain CD-Rs that work for me. I use iTunes for this task but there are a bunch of apps that will handle this.

NOTE - this is assuming that the CD you are having trouble with isn't simply scratched or dirty. But I am sure you have checked that.....
Old 01-16-2008 | 02:29 PM
rbaron
Racer

Thanks for the suggested work-around.

I looked for scratches and didn't see any, but I will try the cd in other players....and also wash it with dish soap (which is what Netflix suggests if you have trouble viewing one of their movies) and see what happens.
Old 01-16-2008 | 02:33 PM
Hauser_III
Racer

Originally Posted by rbaron

I will try the cd in other players....and also wash it with dish soap (which is what Netflix suggests if you have trouble viewing one of their movies).
Hmmm, didn't know you could get dirty movies from Netflix...
Old 01-16-2008 | 02:36 PM
rbaron
Racer

Originally Posted by Hauser_III
Hmmm, didn't know you could get dirty movies from Netflix...
Old 01-16-2008 | 03:21 PM
sigs
Racer

Originally Posted by HD2pct
I have found that the changer is finnicky that way.
+1
Have had no problems with commercial CDs, but this changer (and the identical one on my prior MB) both disliked certain brands of CDs that I had burned. Don't remember the specifics, but I know there was one version of HP CD-R they didn't like. I think I've always had good success with various Memorex CD-Rs. Hopefully a simple bath will fix your issue.
Old 01-16-2008 | 04:59 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Originally Posted by sigs
+1
Have had no problems with commercial CDs, but this changer (and the identical one on my prior MB) both disliked certain brands of CDs that I had burned. Don't remember the specifics, but I know there was one version of HP CD-R they didn't like. I think I've always had good success with various Memorex CD-Rs. Hopefully a simple bath will fix your issue.
Yep, I tried several before I also settled on Memorex. Those always work for me.

BTW, rbaron, if you do ultimately find a scratch or two that may be the problem, you can take it to one of those DVD rental places. They usually have a machine that will take an unplayable DVD or CD and polish it up as good as new. It's how they keep their abused DVDs in circulation.
Old 01-16-2008 | 09:56 PM
rbaron
Racer

This is odd.

I did a much closer inspection of the problem cd this evening. It appears the data inscription (if that is a real term) begins about 1/2 inch or so in from the outer edge of the cd.

The Ms. has the same cd in her MB ML 320 changer cartridge, so I looked at it. Same odd appearance. And it plays just fine in hers.

So I swapped them and when I put the cd that her changer recognizes in my changer, it was not recognized.

But I can play it just fine in the slot in the PCM.

From now on this will be just one of the little mysteries of life, worth no more detective time. But I will remain curious.

I guess it goes with owning a Porsche....(being curious about mysteries, I mean).
Old 01-16-2008 | 10:26 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

oi tink du bad music filter may have kicked in
Old 01-16-2008 | 10:40 PM
sigs
Racer

Careful, there, mudman. As much as I might agree with you, some of these folks take their Springsteen very seriously. You may stir up a bigger hornet's nest than if you told Lewis you were taking your Cayenne to the track.
Old 01-16-2008 | 10:53 PM
rbaron
Racer

Originally Posted by sigs
Careful, there, mudman. As much as I might agree with you, some of these folks take their Springsteen very seriously. You may stir up a bigger hornet's nest than if you told Lewis you were taking your Cayenne to the track.
Ahem.

(1) In the same cartridge, recognized by the changer, I have Dwight Yoakam Sings Buck Owens; Eric Clapton Meets Robert Johnson; and two disks of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's Will the Circle Be Unbroken.

(2) At PDE at the Barber track outside Birmingham in 04 I spent a fair amount of track time in various Cayennes with H. Haywood, D. Bundy, J. Baldwin et al. I learned the old fashioned way that I'll never be a trackster (ever heard of a racing driver with fulltime ADD?) but I sure had fun...as, I think, did all of the instructors.

Cast not the first stone.....
Old 01-16-2008 | 10:56 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Actually, our esteemed moderator is closer to the truth than you think.

Legend has it that a deranged engineer who designed part of the infotainment system, modified some of the F/W to reject certain artists that he refused to listen to during validation testing.

Springsteen is alleged to be one of them.

Of course, we may never know the whole truth nor list, since the aforementioned engineer is no longer with us
Old 01-16-2008 | 11:07 PM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

is this a pressed cd or a burned cd? Burned cd's start from the inside and burn outward. Are the files on the cd .cda files or some sort of mp3?
Old 01-16-2008 | 11:09 PM
rbaron
Racer

Originally Posted by Shamus
is this a pressed cd or a burned cd? Burned cd's start from the inside and burn outward. Are the files on the cd .cda files or some sort of mp3?
This is a "store bought" Bruce Springsteen two disk cd set.
Old 01-17-2008 | 12:13 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

One word: mObridge
More words: Install mObridge in CD changer MOST loop (sell changer on eBay) and never worry about CD track issues again. In the odd situation that you have a passenger who wants to play a CD.. put in the single slot.

p.s. pay no attention to the ghost of Larry who claims to haunt the "pig", infotainment horror stories are the result of PAG/VAG's marketing dept. ---- just ask ltc.

Quick Reply: CD Changer Won't Recognize 1 CD