Sponsored by:

Clear Side Markers

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 11:56 PM
ALPINE_997
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Side Markers

I just installed some clear side markers for my 08 Cayenne S(talk about tight spaces to get the top screw out).

I am sure there is a relatively easy answer to what I am about to ask.

Why do the amber lenses have the light socket in the front of the house and the Clears(Euros) have the housing insert in the back. So if you are driving along side the SUV you will get a very bright light coming from inside the front inner fender. It is annoying.

Just curious.

Thank you.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:15 AM
uder26
Advanced

Alpine, when I installed the clear side markers on my 08 I punched out the front hole to fit the socket up there. With the lights in the rear of the housing, it looks like a spotlight on your tire (in my view).

I do agree, that was a tight fit!
Old 01-04-2008, 01:25 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
....... So if you are driving along side the SUV you will get a very bright light coming from inside the front inner fender. It is annoying. Just curious. Thank you.
German engineering... IMHO still looks better than "yeller" ..... PAG says, "und, you vill like itz. dah?"
Old 01-04-2008, 07:48 AM
ALPINE_997
Instructor

LOL mad.

Uder yeah I was going to punch it out but decided that I didn't want a non-sealed hole in there and then have to fabricate a small plug for the other hole. Even if you removed the inner fender lining completely it is still hard to get to that upper torx screw. You almost have to have a special angled tool for it. Sockets just barely fit. I had to unscrew it by hand when it was half way out due to the socket hitting the sheet metal next to it. But I refused to pay the Dealer $110.00 to install a $35 set of markers

Darn those Germans yah...."und letz blindz zee peoplez next to you dah?"
Old 01-04-2008, 08:43 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I get asked about the flood lit wheels a lot, most people think its cool that if you have a flat at night then you can see what your doing. I dont tell them that that is an unlikely event as i have NO SPARE hahahahaha
Old 01-04-2008, 11:00 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
LOL mad.......... But I refused to pay the Dealer $110.00 to install a $35 set of markers
That's why with my 2nd one.. I had them "throw in" the $35 clear markers as part of the deal (i.e. the dealer had to install!)
Old 01-04-2008, 11:02 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mudman2
I get asked about the flood lit wheels a lot, most people think its cool that if you have a flat at night then you can see what your doing. I dont tell them that that is an unlikely event as i have NO SPARE hahahahaha
I miss not having a spare... haven't had a flat yet with the new one... want to borrow mine? ... wait it won't fit! mwah ha hahaha..
Old 01-04-2008, 05:40 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MadFox
That's why with my 2nd one.. I had them "throw in" the $35 clear markers as part of the deal (i.e. the dealer had to install!)

i did the same thing - up here i think it is more like $200 to install. must be more expensive as the instructions are in French AND English!

i gave a set to a client who has the old version and they hit him for $200; i looked on Renlist afterwards and saw the install on the old style - it was a joke.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:03 PM
ALPINE_997
Instructor

Yeah it seems the 1st Gen Cayenne's were easy. But the 2nd Gen's are a B**tch. My poor fingers did more turning than the socket did. I tore through 2 sets of latex gloves.

But I was determined not to pay the dealership to do it. I thought about having them throw it in with the deal and just didn't think about it until it was too late. I spent an hour and before I tackled the job I thought perhaps 10-15 mins. Yeah only if the bottom screw was the only screw.

I was going to take pictures of the process but was aggravated by the second screw that I forgot about it and wondered to myself if I should have started it lol.

The passengers side was harder because there is a hose that runs down the inner fender wall that gets in the way.

Oh well - its done and my fingers are feeling much better.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:28 PM
WhiteHotPepper
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Everyone
I changed to clear side marker lenses this morning on my 08 Cayenne Turbo. I bought the chromium w5w bulbs from Hoen and installed them in the euro position which is to the rear of lense (closer to the wheel well).They look silver until turned on then they are an amber glow. They look good and are not too bright in the wheel well area. I did the drivers side first. I had read about the tight fit for access and had bought a flex hex driver to use. It did me no good as the space was too small and the flex shaft was fairly stiff and took a lot of room to bend to 90 degrees. I ended up hot gluing the torx bit into a old cut off box-end wrench. This worked ok on the driver side. Like the previous poster said the passenger side had a hose in the way in addition to the tight fit. After struggling for 20 minutes with the hot glue setup I remembered an old drill angle attachment I had in my toolbox. I used a stubby hex driver connected to this angle attachment. This is the only way I ever would have got this project done. By the way... the 08 lenses do not have a slotted hole(like the previous generation) to be able to leave the screw in part way. The screw has to be totally removed and getting that screw started again is very difficult due to the hose is right in the way. I highly suggest buying one of the right angle drill attachments. This is a picture of the Milwaukee 49-22-8510 Right Angle Drill Attachment $39. The dealer might be expensive as I spent about an hour and a half but it sure would be easier! I will post pictures soon of my "new to me" WhiteHotPepper!
Jeff
https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...1&d=1199496035

Last edited by WhiteHotPepper; 05-30-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:25 AM
leek
Rennlist Member

White hot Pepper,
Nice McGyver moves on the clear side markers. I like the look but am not set up (emotionally or garage wise) to attempt this, kudos.
Love Spokane, great town with great outdoor opportunities at the lakes and mountains plus everything you could ask for in a large town without the downsides. I just needed to figure out how to make a reasonable living there. I considered it as am a grad of WSU, but ended up in Seattle.
I was in Sandpoint for a week this summer. The locals were curious about the 08 Ctt. They are not common in the Inland Empire. Go Hawks!
Old 01-05-2008, 11:10 AM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

want to see those pic's of the machine whitehot.

glad you got the PDCC?
Old 01-05-2008, 01:53 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cpa4S
want to see those pic's of the machine whitehot. glad you got the PDCC?
Took a pic last night of my clear side markers in action.... truly "white hot" bright light....
Attached Images  
Old 01-08-2008, 12:46 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Bump... ltc must not have seen the pic yet.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:53 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Jeff, I'll keep an eye out for you in Liberty Lake... might be hard to see given the recent dump of white stuff FYI... the dealership hosts PCA coffee get together on the 19th

Quick Reply: Clear Side Markers