Sponsored by:

AUTO STARTER

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 02:57 PM
Idocdes
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AUTO STARTER

All right; first ice/snow storm here in the northeast arrived and has me thinking of installing an auto starter. My local dealer didn't seem to happy with the idea, insisting that the "finicky" Cayenne's electrical system and after market electronics don't usual work well together?
I was wondering if anyone had any experience, recommendations, regarding auto starters.
Was also concerned if installation of such a device would compromise the warranty...
Old 12-13-2007, 03:24 PM
bancu
Racer

Looking at this from the problem you’re trying to solve…Porsche’s factory solution for heating things up is the Pre Heater /Timer option at $1,570.

I’ve got the Pre Heater /Timer and it is wonderful. It seems to be better than an auto starter on several fronts:
- It heats things up _before_ you start the engine.
- It pretty much melts snow and ice off of the front windshield.
- It heats up the inside of the vehicle.
- It can be set to turn on via the timer up to three times a day.
- The vehicle isn’t left unoccupied/running so you aren’t any more at risk for theft and won’t get a ticket for “puffing” (they do these on some places).

I don’t know if the dealer can install the Pre Heater after the sale but the underlying 'stuff' is sourced from Webasto. They have an aftermarket version and a dealer network for sales and installation: http://www.webasto.us/am/en/am_auto_heaters.html

Given that Porsche offers the Webasto option for heating thing up on cold mornings I’m sure they’d frown on an auto starter. I’m sure they’ll also frown on the aftermarket one from Webasto, but if they can't install their version, I’d think you’d have a better leg to stand on.

Last edited by bancu; 12-13-2007 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:30 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sweet - always wanted to meet someone who got one of those!

Old 12-13-2007, 07:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=Idocdes;4876926]All right; first ice/snow storm here in the northeast arrived and has me thinking of installing an auto starter. My local dealer didn't seem to happy with the idea, insisting that the "finicky" Cayenne's electrical system and after market electronics don't usual work well together?[/QUOTE
I was wondering if anyone had any experience, recommendations, regarding auto starters.
It's been discussed before, back in the 'early' days.
I'd suggest doing a search before MadFox gets on his and once again admonishes the class for a failure to STFA.
Of course it can be done, it's been done. The install is not unique to the Cayenne but similar for all Tiptronic Porsches.

Originally Posted by Idocdes
Was also concerned if installation of such a device would compromise the warranty...
Since you have to connect into the electrical system (need to fake out the brake switch...immobilizer, yadayada) without a factory interface connector, they might have an issue.
Depends on the dealer.....but it sounds like yours doesn't want to go out on a limb in case PCNA refuses to pay them for warranty work.

Of course if you're naked, have at it.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:37 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JFScheck

Popular option in Europe. Initially in the alpha days, Cayennes equipped with it were held at port by the EPA and refused entry, since the EPA paperwork regarding US emissions for the option was not submitted.
That sort of put people off them for a while, then once they were back on the options list, a few were ordered.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:06 PM
bancu
Racer

Originally Posted by JFScheck
They seem to be few and far between. I’ve only seen one other person post that they had one.

It works great in your neck of the woods (Steamboat).

Speaking of Steamboat have you ever taken courses at winter driving school there? It’s very enjoyable. I did a three day and have been back a few times to hit the track. The Cayenne sure does like that ice stuff <g>.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:11 PM
bancu
Racer

Originally Posted by ltc
Popular option in Europe. Initially in the alpha days, Cayennes equipped with it were held at port by the EPA and refused entry, since the EPA paperwork regarding US emissions for the option was not submitted.
That sort of put people off them for a while, then once they were back on the options list, a few were ordered.
Count mine as one of those that was held. In my case it slipped out of port but was held at the dealer. At one point PCNA told the dealer they were going to have to send it back.

The European version, like the Webasto aftermarket version, has the advantage of being able to be remotely activated. I think Porsche/PCNA was too worried about someone remotely activating it while their garage closed up to bring that feature to the states.

I’ve read that Porsche never expected it to be a heavily ordered option. The target was 2% of the US models.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:17 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All i have to say is that i am happy that i am not the tech that would have to install that... Cayenne wiring is a nightmare...

Mark
Old 12-13-2007, 11:26 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by marky522
All i have to say is that i am happy that i am not the tech that would have to install that... Cayenne wiring is a nightmare...

Mark
Cayenne wiring is simple....just ask Toby , headlights are just power and ground, Litronic upgrade is just a plug and play, just like in a 911.

And the trailer connector? Industry standard 7 pin Pollack.....plug in any trailer and away you go.

Simple.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:23 AM
RoninM5
Advanced

I had a Clifford Matrix remote with auto start installed on a SUV. It was a great convenience.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:20 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not sure I would open the door and invite in any potential problems.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:17 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No way would I want that- besides the fact that starting a car and letting it idle to warm up is terrible for an engine, I would not touch the cayenne electrical systm.

As far as the pre-timer heat that sounds neat, but not for $1,600. I'll take 5 minutes and clean the windshild myself, thank you. BUT- it my car had that option and I didn't have to pay extra for it either through a great deal off sticker or if I were buying a used car that didn't cost more that had it, I wouldn't mind that
Old 12-14-2007, 02:04 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
I'm not sure I would open the door and invite in any potential problems.
Just buying a Cayenne opens the door to potential problems......
Old 12-14-2007, 02:27 PM
bancu
Racer

Originally Posted by andrew911
As far as the pre-timer heat that sounds neat, but not for $1,600. I'll take 5 minutes and clean the windshild myself, thank you. BUT- it my car had that option and I didn't have to pay extra for it either through a great deal off sticker or if I were buying a used car that didn't cost more that had it, I wouldn't mind that
I hear you on the money but Preheater doesn’t just clean off the windshield. You get into a warm vehicle and part of your coolant is preheated for when the engine starts. I think the preheating of the coolant is why VW included them as standard equipment on their v10 Touareg.

They even tie the thing into the rear heater core on 4-zone equipped vehicles.

On the paying for it front…I fear it is going to be like heated seats for me. My first set of heated seats were included in some other option pack. Now I don’t even consider a vehicle unless it has heated seats. In fact I passed up a good deal on an on the lot Cayenne when I was looking because it didn’t have heated seats.

I thought it was just me on the heated seats front until I had a really minimalistic friend riding in old car one day. Once he found out about the seat heats he was turning it on even when the temp was in the upper 60s.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:31 PM
RoninM5
Advanced

I liked getting into a cool car on hot southern california off road trips.

Quick Reply: AUTO STARTER