Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS tiptronic or 6 speed manual?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 09:57 PM
cbryce
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTS tiptronic or 6 speed manual?

I am going to purchase a GTS and was wondering whats wrong with a 6 speed manual on the GTS? The salesguy told me he wouldnt but one but if I wanted I could. Whats the big deal and what`s the pros and cons of having a manual in the GTS?
Old 12-02-2007, 11:21 PM
Porsche997gt
Track Day

Do it! I'm sure you wont regret it!
Old 12-03-2007, 02:10 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm pretty sure it's only offered on 6speed..
Old 12-03-2007, 08:23 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by alex911s
I'm pretty sure it's only offered on 6speed..
Tip is an option on the GTS
Old 12-03-2007, 09:48 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As much as many of us on a porsche message board love stick shifts (for example, I wouldn't buy a sports car without one, even if the technology was such that an F1/tiptronic type reduced 0-60 by a full second), in a truck/suv/wagon it could decrease re-sale. Up to now, cayenne's with stick (the 6 cylinder model) haven't sold well. If you get enough market interest or a following in the new GTS, a stick may be in fact a re-sale enhancer (think of BMW's turnaround to offer a stick in the M5 here in the US after initially demanding all cars were that auto-tranny crap- the people protested and were heard ).

That's the only thing I can think of- there's no other reason not to get it unless you live in an area with a lot of stop and go traffic. I haven't heard of any reliability issues, but again I can't remember ever hearing someone mention they have the stick on a 6-cylinder model. I'm sure there are some on the board here, but I don't remember reading anything.

I will give my opinion on my re-sale comment though- while I would only buy a sportscar with stick, a wagon/suv is a different story. I'm sure I'd want an automatic due to the character of the car and use- I use a sports car on nice days for pleasure, whereas a car like this is more of a car to use everyday and with the family and gear. My wife doesn't drive stick, and that would limit the use of such a car. I threw that in to point out why some people wouldn't want to buy a stick in the used car market.

Bottom line though, get the stick if you drive it and like it. If you're OK with the potential resale issue, and if there are no reliabity issues (shouldn't be), it may simply be the salesman has a harder time getting a stick or has none in stock or on order. Always take anything any salesman/woman says with a grain of salt and do your own diligence in such matters (for example asking the smart people on this board for info

On more point- for full disclosure: I don't consider myself to be one of the smart people
Old 12-03-2007, 10:05 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

What is it like to trail something with a manual transmission. I guess all semi trailers are double clutch manuals but that might be for different reasons. I would hate to do a hill stop with a trailer on the back and a 6-speed tranny.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:06 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe PHC will actually work with the GTS
Old 12-03-2007, 11:42 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cbryce
Whats the big deal and what`s the pros and cons of having a manual in the GTS?
Pro:
- more involving to drive
- more unique
- faster than tip
- looks cool to have a manual trans in an SUV
- cheaper than tip

Con:
- difficult to resell (I honestly believe MAYBE 5% of Cayenne buyers actually want a manual trans)
- might be balky to drive (someone who's driven a manual-trans Cayenne can comment on this)
- other people might not be able to drive it (maybe or maybe not a concern for you)

Personally, the Cayenne GTS is just about the perfect daily driver for me. I'd love to trade my M3 for one - throw my bike in the back, drive it anywhere, reliable, looks cool, space for passengers. But then again, I'm single and I'm pretty much the only person who drives my cars.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:46 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Maybe PHC will actually work with the GTS
Oh.... there you go throwing PHC around again... you mean my "PHC unavailable" light might actually mean something in a GTS? Would it come on if I had a GTS and installed a non-OEM iPod player interfaced to the MOST ring or would that produce a !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2007, 11:58 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MadFox
Oh.... there you go throwing PHC around again... you mean my "PHC unavailable" light might actually mean something in a GTS? Would it come on if I had a GTS and installed a non-OEM iPod player interfaced to the MOST ring or would that produce a !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You had me right up to the, well, you know, ..... "!"
Old 12-03-2007, 12:07 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
You had me right up to the, well, you know, ..... "!"
I forget and have been too busy to read any posts of late.... uh-hum.... have there been posts about what that "!" means?
Old 12-03-2007, 02:26 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default um...

so how IS your PHC unavailable doing?

(insert vincent price laugh while busting open another bag of salt)
Old 12-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

i think the manual will be harder to get; i was told they are allocating first floor runs to the tip, so build date of manual is supposed to be later.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:40 PM
cbryce
Intermediate

I dont mind a manual and my wife knows hwo to drive one too so it`s not a big deal. I wont be doign too much of towing so again it`s not an issue.

How many of you think it will be good in the snow. I salesguy told me that I would have to change rims and tires but why cant I fdrive o nthem in the lil bit of snow we have in the Dc area? Shouldn`t it help in the snow seeign that you can start off in 2nd or possibly 3rd?

Also, will the manual transmission give me better gas mileage?
Old 12-03-2007, 06:08 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cbryce
How many of you think it will be good in the snow. I salesguy told me that I would have to change rims and tires but why cant I fdrive o nthem in the lil bit of snow we have in the Dc area? Shouldn`t it help in the snow seeign that you can start off in 2nd or possibly 3rd?

It isn't that the tires aren't snow tires, but that they are summer performance tires, and don't like cold weather (they become hard). It would be similar to driving a 911 C4 on the summer tires during the winter time. You can get winter tires on this wheel size, it's just that they aren't Porsche approved. Also, these tires are very wide (295 on 11" rims), which doesn't help in the snow.

Regarding the shifting, I had the chance to drive the V6 manual one weekend recently, and found that the shifting was pretty easy. The throw was a little on the long side (but that is being compared to a sports car), and I also felt that the placement of the shifter was about 3 inches too far back from what would be most comfortable for me.

Quick Reply: GTS tiptronic or 6 speed manual?