Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne titanium side skirt

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007 | 06:32 PM
seattle_sun
Pro

Default Cayenne titanium side skirt

I was wondering if its a big deal to take off the aerokit sideskirt and replace with regular plastic one. My dealer states that it may make the car unstable.

I hate the sideskirt. After one year its chipped to hell.
Old 11-26-2007 | 06:42 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by seattle_sun
I was wondering if its a big deal to take off the aerokit sideskirt and replace with regular plastic one. My dealer states that it may make the car unstable.
Please tell your dealer

Aero imbalance? On a Cayenne? A Category 5 hurricane couldn't cause a 5500# Cayenne to flip over, let alone a 10# change in aero balance.
Old 11-26-2007 | 06:44 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I believe that your dealer may be confusing Cayenne aero balance (I keep laughing just seeing those words together) with say 911 aero balance, where it has been accepted for years that if you add/change the rear spoiler (adding aerokit, RS spoiler, etc), then a corresponding change to the front (adding splitter, lower valance extention, etc) is appropriate.

Cayenne aero balance, that made my day.
Old 11-26-2007 | 07:08 PM
seattle_sun
Pro

Remember when audi first released the tt without the back wing and people were floating and spinning on the autobahn? That's the vision that went through my mind when he was talking about the aero imbalance!

BTW, are you suggesting that the Cayenne is not a finely tuned sports vehicle?!
Old 11-26-2007 | 07:08 PM
racer_65
Racer

I thought the aerokit side skirt is plastic.

Are you just referring to the side skirt that's on every Titanium Edition car? Are you saying you'd rather do without them, i.e. just have the regular molding material?

Can you show a picture of what you're talking about? I'd be interested to see the chips on your car, as I really like the look of the sideskirts myself.
Old 11-26-2007 | 07:13 PM
seattle_sun
Pro

Correct, its the plastic side skirt on the titanium- but it is painted. I drive the trans Canadian highway quite a bit during the winter and instead of using salt, they use gravel. The gravel gets flipped up and chips the side skirt. Because of the side skirt, you also can't add front mud flaps. I'll try to post some pics today or tomorrow.
Old 11-26-2007 | 07:44 PM
racer_65
Racer

Look forward to the pics. What's the result of not having the mud flaps? More chipping?
Old 11-26-2007 | 08:31 PM
GDF-TT
Intermediate

What are you going to do with them after you remove them? I would be interested if you are going to get rid of them......
Old 11-26-2007 | 10:17 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by seattle_sun
I drive the trans Canadian highway
This is a great thread

I'm with the dealer... definately risky business considering the sustained high rate of speeds one might see on the trans Canadian Who was the dealer... Barrier? Better yet... get your hands on whatever he's sippin
Old 11-26-2007 | 11:40 PM
sigs
Racer

It's hard to laugh when there's steam shooting out of my ears. Perhaps in my next life I can find a career in which I and the people who work for me can say the most completely dumba$$ things on a daily basis and still have folks lined up at the door to throw money at us, instead of lawyers waiting at the door to sue us. Geez, Louise, just how much would they have to charge for the cars and the service in order to for the average customer not to have to weed through their personnel to find the ones who really know their stuff?

Mr. Moderator, could we have a sticky thread for "most ridiculous things my dealer told me"? After we wear that one out, ltc can start one for "most ridiculous policy statements from PAG."
Old 11-28-2007 | 03:22 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Interesting on what you experience- with about 14K miles on our titanium I haven't noticed any odd chipping. If you have 60K miles on your car and they are somehow chipped, I'd get a body shop to repaint them and put them back on, like some people have to do with low sports cars that get the nose chips over the years.

Just yesterday, a buddy and I (he has a standard cayenne) were saying how nice the side skirts looked on the car- can't imagne you'd want to take them off unless they are really chipping up bad. We were both saying we were surprised they weren't standard on the cayenne turbo. The skirts, rims and quad exhausts dress up the titanium perfectly in my opinion!

Quick Reply: Cayenne titanium side skirt