Sponsored by:

Partial PCM Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 10:36 AM
alsamrob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Partial PCM Retrofit

Thinking about retrofitting the PCM2.1 monitor only. Is this possible? Searched the forum and found plenty of retrofit threads for the complete retro. I don't need nav. Just want the enhanced visual experience for my audio, and a possible bluetooth expansion.
I have ordered the mObridge and want to have more info on my screen than the CDR23 provides.
So, can you put the monitor in and have it work without having the Nav hooked up, and the separate DVD drive, antenna, etc.?
Anyone done it? Any thoughts Mudman?

Remember there are no stupid questions, only stupid people asking questions.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:34 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never heard of anyone doing a partial install with a PCM, in theory it should be possible BUT the Cayenne's computer system will detect the lack of presence of critical components and the most likely result will be that it will stop working during boot.

I think others more expert in this may be of more help
Old 11-26-2007, 01:43 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

Originally Posted by mudman2
I have never heard of anyone doing a partial install with a PCM, in theory it should be possible BUT the Cayenne's computer system will detect the lack of presence of critical components and the most likely result will be that it will stop working during boot.

I think others more expert in this may be of more help
Ok, as suspected. Any idea where I could find a retrofit kit besides the Porsche Dealer, Suncoast or Ebay?
Old 11-26-2007, 01:51 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Suncoast sold a PCM last week to a board member for $700.

The kit and method to install is covered by a TSB available at www.renntech.org to members ($25 ish)

I have also seen PCM's on Ebay but for more than Suncoast charge, the parts kit would have to be from SunCoast.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:45 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

Suncoast sold a PCM last week to a board member for $700.

The kit and method to install is covered by a TSB available at www.renntech.org to members ($25 ish)

I have also seen PCM's on Ebay but for more than Suncoast charge, the parts kit would have to be from SunCoast.
Saw that as well, but it was just the nav component, not the whole kit
Old 11-26-2007, 03:27 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

Originally Posted by alsamrob
Saw that as well, but it was just the nav component, not the whole kit
Checked out the kit and the install TSB. Way above me technically, so I'd be looking at least 8hrs of labor at 98 per, plus the cost of the kit which is close to 5k. Can't justify it. But, if the monitor worked stand alone, I could get one for 1800, and give the install a shot.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:51 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

its is certainly not an easy solution

ltc do you think there is any chance of this working ?
Old 11-26-2007, 04:15 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am confused as to what exactly is desired here.....then again, words like 'ohmage' tend to confuse me

You can install a PCM headunit into a Cayenne without CDC and NAV options, connect it to the amplifier and back via MOST; you would need to have the dealer update/program the devices/vehicle.
Leaving the antenna disconnected, no idea why, it's there, just plug the damned thing in.
The PCM provides no bluetooth expansion, so I have no idea what that meant, nor do I think I really want to know.
Of course this means you will need to remove the CDR23; can't have 2 MSOT bus masters.

Wouldn't it just be simpler/cheaper to just rip everything out, install a Bluetooth/iPod friendly, touchscreen, visually erotic headunit into the car and pick your amp and speakers?

Larry (R.I.P. ) took the easy way out.....death.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:47 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

Originally Posted by ltc
I am confused as to what exactly is desired here.....then again, words like 'ohmage' tend to confuse me

You can install a PCM headunit into a Cayenne without CDC and NAV options, connect it to the amplifier and back via MOST; you would need to have the dealer update/program the devices/vehicle.
Leaving the antenna disconnected, no idea why, it's there, just plug the damned thing in.
The PCM provides no bluetooth expansion, so I have no idea what that meant, nor do I think I really want to know.
Of course this means you will need to remove the CDR23; can't have 2 MSOT bus masters.

Wouldn't it just be simpler/cheaper to just rip everything out, install a Bluetooth/iPod friendly, touchscreen, visually erotic headunit into the car and pick your amp and speakers?

Larry (R.I.P. ) took the easy way out.....death.
The desire here is to have ipod connectivity (and possibly bluetooth) through mObridge, and have the use of the steering wheel controls, along with the increased display capability for ID tags etc.

All aftermarket applications I have investigated cannot deliver the steering wheel control function, plus require complete retool of the amp and speakers.

After all is said, probably cheaper and better to go aftermarket, but I would lose steering wheel control and OEM appearance.

Is anyone aware of an aftermarket HU that allows sterring wheel control?
Old 11-26-2007, 04:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

The desire here is to have ipod connectivity (and possibly bluetooth) through mObridge, and have the use of the steering wheel controls, along with the increased display capability for ID tags etc.
Fine.
Buy a PCM, sans CDC and NAV, have it installed, programmed, then install your mOBridge.
Done.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:55 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

That question has been asked before, the answer is no, the wheel controls are on one of the databus systems.

From what ltc said you should be able to go forward and replace the head unit, as he says also plug in the antennae.

The 2.1 has the slightly wider screen but I would put whatever is the best value (cheaper) 2.0 should be.

If you have to go to the dealer tell them you are going to mount a CDC so they can tell the head unit, that way when you attach the mObridge it should work. Some work out of the box some don't.

All you look to be losing is the small cubby whole under the CDR as well as the CDR, you can buy the surrounding trim in silver or black for about $50
Old 11-26-2007, 05:17 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

That question has been asked before, the answer is no, the wheel controls are on one of the databus systems.

From what ltc said you should be able to go forward and replace the head unit, as he says also plug in the antennae.

The 2.1 has the slightly wider screen but I would put whatever is the best value (cheaper) 2.0 should be.

If you have to go to the dealer tell them you are going to mount a CDC so they can tell the head unit, that way when you attach the mObridge it should work. Some work out of the box some don't.

All you look to be losing is the small cubby whole under the CDR as well as the CDR, you can buy the surrounding trim in silver or black for about $50
Thanks for your help. I can always add the nav later, to help with resale. Hahahahahaha
Old 11-26-2007, 05:19 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

Originally Posted by ltc
Fine.
Buy a PCM, sans CDC and NAV, have it installed, programmed, then install your mOBridge.
Done.
Thanks for your help. Let you know how it works out, unless you don't want to know.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:35 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for your help. Let you know how it works out, unless you don't want to know.
I don't want to know....go away
Old 11-26-2007, 05:54 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

hahahaha

Larry get back in the box now you know its not Halloween anymore

Quick Reply: Partial PCM Retrofit