Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at Buying a Cayenne - Thoughts ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 09:52 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

To date minor stuff with my `05, but agree that the newer the better off you'll be. Typo's and spelling errors are attributed to trying to type with fingers crossed.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,434 Likes on 896 Posts

I think the key to this is to pull the service records for any used Cayenne you are considering, no matter what the year. There are some good 2004 Cayennes out there, but they are harder to find than a good 2005 or 2006.

My daily driver is a 2004 Cayenne S that I purchased with roughly 26,000 miles on the odometer. I met with the service department manager and pulled all the records before my purchase. My Cayenne had all the regular service, TSBs, etc. The only issue that I have had was that I needed a new battery at 31,000 miles, and that didn't leave me stranded when it went out. I received a "!" warning with a message that said "Electrical Load Switch-Off". I restarted the car and drove it to the dealer to have them look it over. A new battery from the dealer isn't cheap - no surprise there.

Looking back at it, I'm happy with my 2004 purchase, and I'd do it again.

The HUMMER has left me stranded though - water pump failed at only 15,000 miles. It was funny watching the flatbed driver trying to get the HUMMER on the back of the truck. They are quite heavy...
Old 11-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rome
I have an '06 Cayenne S, and my wife has a new '07 ML.

The ML is REALLY nice. Very comfortable, luxurious and very smooth in the Mercedes type of way.

BUT, that said, the ML is no Cayenne S. The Cayenne feels like a big 911 the way it hugs the road and handles twisties.

Simply, the Cayenne S drives like a sports car...the ML drives like a sedan. I enjoy driving the Cayenne a lot more.

As far as punishment-- I drive about 25,000 miles a year-- including highway and daily commute into a large northeast city (which means bad weather for a good part of the year). The Cayenne has been nearly flawless in terms of reliability and performance (I now have about 48K miles.

PS-- Try to get an '06 if you can because they seem to be more reliable. Do a search here and you can read all about it)
I couldn't agree more with Rome on this subject. Our experience with ML is the same, a nice & comfortable SUV but if you are looking for driving excitement don't look further than Cayenne S. (turn PSM off and enjoy)
good luck,
Sam CS 05

Quick Reply: Looking at Buying a Cayenne - Thoughts ?