Old 10-17-2007, 07:28 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cayenne @ NHIS

I am a driving instructor for my local PCA region and at our last event on Monday and Tuesday my friend Steve Robbins let me drive his Cayenne S for a session. I gotta tell you that it was a blast! It wasn't a 911 , but it was a lot of fun. I would say that the main weak link on the car was the tires, they couldn't really handle what we were doing, but what a machine you all have. I think I will be selling an organ to try and buy one. Very cool!
Has anyone here tracked or AX a Cayenne before? How was it? - Jay
Old 10-17-2007, 07:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Rennlist member 'tkerrmd' in Florida tracked his Cayenne S.
He currently has a 996TT and is an instructor down there.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:33 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I am sure the 996 TT is a little faster as well! But never the less, the Cayenne was still a kick!
Old 10-18-2007, 07:58 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I am in the minority that believes that a Cayenne doesn't belong on track, unless it's in Green and/or its own class.
I know the PCA regions are all over the map on this one (some don't allow them, some do).

No rearward visibility, hard to see driver's hand signals to pass and the thought of an on track incident between a Cayenne and a 914 is frightening.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:06 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,445 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I am in the minority that believes that a Cayenne doesn't belong on track, unless it's in Green and/or its own class.
I know the PCA regions are all over the map on this one (some don't allow them, some do).

No rearward visibility, hard to see driver's hand signals to pass and the thought of an on track incident between a Cayenne and a 914 is frightening.
I actually wouldn't mind taking my Cayenne on the track, but I agree that there should be a seperate class for those who feel the urge to do so.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:01 PM
ozr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
I am a driving instructor for my local PCA region and at our last event on Monday and Tuesday my friend Steve Robbins let me drive his Cayenne S for a session. I gotta tell you that it was a blast! It wasn't a 911 , but it was a lot of fun. I would say that the main weak link on the car was the tires, they couldn't really handle what we were doing, but what a machine you all have. I think I will be selling an organ to try and buy one. Very cool!
Has anyone here tracked or AX a Cayenne before? How was it? - Jay
...try 08BMW 4.8 X5 w SportPackage also (if can't get access, try regular dealer test drive)... 08BMW 4.8 X5 without SportPackage is way behind in sporty driving experience...

...would be interesting to hear about above experience too and a difference in driving behavior vs regular CayS08...

OZRacing

Last edited by ozr; 10-18-2007 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:29 PM
ozr
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by ltc

...in Germany,... on a Nuerburgring folks drive Carreras, M3s, RS4s very often with busses, minivans, motoBikes on a ring together at the same time...

...nobody complains...any obstacle is just MORE INTERESTING to overcome...

...motorBikes DO NOT complain about SLOW Carreras obstructing front view...

...just for COMPETITION they drive in it's own class...

...you may draw your own conclusions about majority of the American PORSCHE Carrera owners/drivers complaining on a track...American complaining PORSCHE Carrera owner/driver needs a CONVENIENCE of an open free of traffic road...

...for his level of driving skill?...

OZRacing
Old 10-18-2007, 02:34 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Seriously, I know English is your second language (it hurts just translating your pigeon english and cryptic spellings), so, exactly what is your primary language?

BTW, I still find it interesting that PCA (National) has yet to come to a uniform standard regarding PCA DE and Cayennes.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:58 PM
ozr
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by ltc
Seriously, I know English is your second language (it hurts just translating your pigeon english and cryptic spellings), so, exactly what is your primary language?

BTW, I still find it interesting that PCA (National) has yet to come to a uniform standard regarding PCA DE and Cayennes.

...Inglisch, is my 7th language, d@mmy...

...you don't drive Inglisch cars on a track, DO YOU?...

OZRacing
Old 10-18-2007, 11:37 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ltc

I don't know if we could ever do this. It is still a Porsche and people have a right to learn to drive their Porsche (even if it is a Cayenne) on the track and learn. Because it isn't racing, it can't have its own class. Besides, if a person in a Cayenne can't see a person behind them, then the person behind them is sucking on the Cayennes tail pipe. I think there is more of a chance of a 914 (which I own) being hit on the public roads then at the track. I guess it is a risk you take! I am for te Cayenne being on the track at DE, but I could probably be turned if shown good evidence of why it is a bad idea.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:07 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cayenne's running in their own group is fine - but they are too damn big to be on the track with everyone else...

Anyone who has spent anytime on a track (or went on a Rennlist drive having to follow a Cayenne) knows this.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:54 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Whst is the differnece between a slow moving Cayenne and a slow moving 914 or 356?
Old 10-19-2007, 01:14 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Without offending Porsche Cayenne (or VW Touareg) owners, it's simple due to the fact that National seems to have not decided one way or the other and left it up to the local track chairs and CI's (please correct me if this situation has changed at National).

The main issues involved with a Cayenne on track with other vehicles involve:
1. Ability for the car following a Cayenne to see a passing signal (as previousy documented/discussed by a new Cayenne owner's first experience on track)
2. The inability of a driver following a Cayenne to be able to see 'thru' the Cayenne to see what is ahead on track.
3. Limited rearward visibility offered by the Cayenne (no you don't get to put it in Reverse and use the back up camera). Sorry, but sometimes you ARE running right up on someone's bumper, especially if it's someone you know/trust......or sometimes you just don't expect them to 'stop' at entry or apex.
4. Sheer mass, coupled with a student's likely use of 'lots of brake', coupled with stock/marginal brake fluid and the expected high wear rate of stock pads and perhaps marginal brake cooling
5. The possibility of a Cayenne going off at the exit of Big Bend in the spring and actually sinking until it disappears.
6. The damage caused by a Cayenne having an incident, at speed, with another (much smaller....by over 2000#) smaller vehicle.

The Cayenne just prevents some 'challenges' to the std PCA DE, that's all. I've seen a few as tow vehicles, one out at lunch with instructors taking it for a ride and one in Green.
IMHO, a Cayenne in Advanced Solo (white/black) would not be a good thing.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:45 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, I went out to a BMW track day one time to see how their Bluetooth worked on the track. It was raining, and the TT truck was the second fasted car/truck on the track, second behind a WRX. I had all of the computer help involved and it was FUN! Larry is correct in that there is a little more momentum created, but if one got in over one's head then everything would start shutting down or automatically braking for the driver! When it started to dry out, I came in and watched. Never did find out how their Bluetooth worked!
Old 10-19-2007, 04:04 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ltc
Without offending Porsche Cayenne (or VW Touareg) owners, it's simple due to the fact that National seems to have not decided one way or the other and left it up to the local track chairs and CI's (please correct me if this situation has changed at National).

The main issues involved with a Cayenne on track with other vehicles involve:
1. Ability for the car following a Cayenne to see a passing signal (as previousy documented/discussed by a new Cayenne owner's first experience on track)
2. The inability of a driver following a Cayenne to be able to see 'thru' the Cayenne to see what is ahead on track.
3. Limited rearward visibility offered by the Cayenne (no you don't get to put it in Reverse and use the back up camera). Sorry, but sometimes you ARE running right up on someone's bumper, especially if it's someone you know/trust......or sometimes you just don't expect them to 'stop' at entry or apex.
4. Sheer mass, coupled with a student's likely use of 'lots of brake', coupled with stock/marginal brake fluid and the expected high wear rate of stock pads and perhaps marginal brake cooling
5. The possibility of a Cayenne going off at the exit of Big Bend in the spring and actually sinking until it disappears.
6. The damage caused by a Cayenne having an incident, at speed, with another (much smaller....by over 2000#) smaller vehicle.

The Cayenne just prevents some 'challenges' to the std PCA DE, that's all. I've seen a few as tow vehicles, one out at lunch with instructors taking it for a ride and one in Green.
IMHO, a Cayenne in Advanced Solo (white/black) would not be a good thing.
We'll I think I am sold. You have change my opinion! Thanks. - Jay

Quick Reply: Cayenne @ NHIS