Sponsored by:

Boy, our cars are trouble free

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 08:53 PM
Nexus 6
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
There is a lot of terminology that got its start right here in the Cayenne forum...mainly due to the old timers (aka Cayenne ownership survivors).

Like.....

Alpha (2003)
Beta (2004)
Hmmm...so then I have a "Beta" then? Even though the build date is November 2003? Just curious so I can make sure I pay attention to what might be applicable to my situation when others make "Alpha/Beta" references...thats all? (not trying to make this rocket science here or nothing )
Old 10-17-2007, 09:50 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stone43
Given that you appear to be one of the few ladies on the board

However my folder is not as thick as yours (I checked) therefore I will not embarass myself by offering that as a first attempt.
Well, for a while it was Kooser & myself. Then Kooser disappeared and we do miss her .....

I swear it wasn't preplanned, but I am loving how the pic turned out, with Larry's userpic glaring at my Cayenne folder. Have you noticed?
Old 10-17-2007, 09:51 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nexus 6
Hmmm...so then I have a "Beta" then? Even though the build date is November 2003? Just curious so I can make sure I pay attention to what might be applicable to my situation when others make "Alpha/Beta" references...thats all? (not trying to make this rocket science here or nothing )
You're right Nexus it is not rocket science. Your beta has maybe a half dozen items that *might* have to be fixed, and you just have to make sure you're covered so that they don't stick it to you. End of story. Looks like you have started that process.

You still made a good choice, IMO. Just get whatever sh*t fixed and you're golden. Once you do, the vehicle is really great. I only have coils left to go, as all the obvious stuff is history. That is no big deal and I am covered and not bothered by it.

Congrats.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:12 PM
Nexus 6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HD2pct
You're right Nexus it is not rocket science. Your beta has maybe a half dozen items that *might* have to be fixed, and you just have to make sure you're covered so that they don't stick it to you. End of story. Looks like you have started that process.

You still made a good choice, IMO. Just get whatever sh*t fixed and you're golden. Once you do, the vehicle is really great. I only have coils left to go, as all the obvious stuff is history. That is no big deal and I am covered and not bothered by it.

Congrats.

Hey thanks man...that brought me some piece of mind

Oh and on a side note regarding your coils, I scanned and posted my invoice in the thread at the top of the page titled "COILS TSB" or something like that...maybe it can help you in making sure that when you eventually DO go the coil route, you get the right ones. I dunno? But anyways...it is posted
Old 10-17-2007, 11:33 PM
JRCTT
Instructor

Hey Nexus - you have a credit coming your way...

Also I just got back from the dealer and while I was there I had my service writer check my VIN on the Porsche system and he printed out the recalls and the workshop campaigns performed and verified there where none open. This was a big relief for me at least to see there where only 2 recalls both for seat belts and a few workshop campaigns performed that took care of most of the complaints found here. Speaking of which do you have the Texas buckles on your rear outboard seat belts?
Old 10-18-2007, 02:19 AM
Nexus 6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JRCTT
Hey Nexus - you have a credit coming your way...

WOOT!! Thanks man

Oh and glad that I was able to have been of help. Make sure that they applied discounts to YOUR policy as well? Thanks again brother
Old 10-18-2007, 08:05 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Speaking of which do you have the Texas buckles on your rear outboard seat belts?
I believe you are referring to NTSB recall campaign A506......

Their officially recognized name is "Cowboy Belt Buckles".....the kind that permanently deform the leather on the rear seats.

I'd take a pic and show them to you, but back when he was alive, Larry posted the removal procedure (simple, takes less than a minute) and sent both of his to Peter the Great in Atlanta as a 'present'.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:39 AM
JRCTT
Instructor

Cowboy Belt Buckles...got it, the official term .

If I remember when I was searching the forum on this I found a post where you (ltc) removed them as well correct?

I found very detailed instructions for installing them, the same set given to Porsche mechanics so I am assuming removal is just the opposite and since all my child seats are latch I don't think I have to worry about this.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:11 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Cowboy Belt Buckles...got it, the official term .

If I remember when I was searching the forum on this I found a post where you (ltc) removed them as well correct?

I found very detailed instructions for installing them, the same set given to Porsche mechanics so I am assuming removal is just the opposite and since all my child seats are latch I don't think I have to worry about this.
I can not condone removing a required safety component from a vehicle.
I never owned a Cayenne
If such a procedure has been posted in this forum, then I can only assume it was Larry, who did own a Cayenne, and who must have been logged in as me.
Larry is dead, so we'll never know.

The story of the Cowboy Belt buckle was a classic though....
Old 10-18-2007, 11:12 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
Well, for a while it was Kooser & myself.
Then Kooser disappeared and we do miss her .....

Her...
Castrated due to cat bypass pipes. Hysterically funny.

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
I swear it wasn't preplanned, but I am loving how the pic turned out, with Larry's userpic glaring at my Cayenne folder. Have you noticed?
I don't think anyone noticed, except me.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:54 AM
Polemicuss
2nd Gear

Well this topic seems to have gotten a bit off track, but to answer your original post I have a 2004 Cayenne S with 51k miles and I haven't had 1 single problem. I even have the original brake pads and tires!! I've done all the services and almost feel bad something didn't go wrong because I wanted to use the warranty !!
Old 10-19-2007, 11:16 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default "Alpha Beta Gaga"

So, someone's been reading this forum and got inspired. No need to watch the video, just listen to the appropriately loony melody, appropriately titled "Alpha Beta Gaga" :-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqlaogBZ-SM
Old 10-19-2007, 11:30 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Polemicuss
Well this topic seems to have gotten a bit off track....
Discussions are SUPPOSED to go off track in this forum, that's what makes it "special"
Old 10-21-2007, 08:45 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default um....

you forgot my favorite term..

"PHC Unavailable"

along with

"Certified Lemon"

LOVE the FX45, which among other things has NAV that actually works well.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:04 PM
Nexus 6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by droptop

LOVE the FX45, which among other things has NAV that actually works well.

When I bought my Cayenne it had been a draw between it and a Infiniti FX45. My previous car (which I sold to buy my Cayenne) was an Infiniti G35 Coupe (fully loaded with all options) and I absolutely LOVED that car. Never had a single problem (other then the typical premature wearing of front brake pads at like 11k miles that was common on all of the early G's, but Infiniti replaced them for free, and warrantied them for 3 years/36k miles...so all was cool there).

Only reason for getting rid of my G (and 2 BMW's that I also had at the time) was due to my back injury, and having "sports" cars that were seated low to the ground was too difficult to get in and out of for me

So in wanting to still have somewhat of a sports car feel, yet easier entry/egress, I test drove the FX45 and the Cayenne S (I KNEW that whatever I were to go with....it would have a V8...nothing less). The FX45 felt almost right at home. The one I test drove was fairly well equipped, and was the Burnt Orange Copper exterior color with the Root Beer brown leather interior....VERY hot in my book (although the wife didn't care for the color combo...but who givesaf! We are about to get divorced anyways)

It had navigation (which yes....it is very functional and easier to use then the 1st gen Cayenne's), back up camera's, technology package (which included DVD, Bluetooth, etc), lane departure warning system, laser guided cruise control, etc... All the options that I WISHED I had on my Cayenne (out of the ones I mentioned...I only have Navigation).

However for me, the Cayenne won in the end because I felt as if it was simply geared better (making the most out of the 340HP), and handled better. Plus I gotta say that although I loved the front end of the FX45....I didn't really dig the rear too much? The Porsche I love both so......

Both are very fine automobiles in my book though

Quick Reply: Boy, our cars are trouble free