Sponsored by:

Tire sensor/Computer question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 10:51 PM
mb97tts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire sensor/Computer question.

Just had a new set of Michelins put on my TTS today. The tire system is going crazy. Says two are flat, beeping constantly.

I assume something didn't get reset. Does this have to be done at the dealer. My friend that owns the shop says he doesn't have the ability to reset.(doesn't have the tool) He doesn't do much Porsche.

Anyway can I reset this?????

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2007, 11:08 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mb97tts
Just had a new set of Michelins put on my TTS today. The tire system is going crazy. Says two are flat, beeping constantly.

I assume something didn't get reset. Does this have to be done at the dealer. My friend that owns the shop says he doesn't have the ability to reset.(doesn't have the tool) He doesn't do much Porsche.

Anyway can I reset this?????

Thanks!
Can you say.. "glitch" and only curable by PIWIS at dealer.. the #1 reason why on second Tit.S I did NOT get TPMS. However, you can try to clear by going into the menu and showing changed tires.. the menu on the wiper stick where you advance/push to scroll through the screen. I was able to every now and then clear faults... but it usually meant a trip to the dealer.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:20 PM
mb97tts
Racer

I saw that on the menu. You put in the size of the tires, etc. Seems bogus doesn't it? If the sensors are just put in another tire the computer should just pick them up....

The reason I needed the tires is because the dealer didn't listen to me when I said the alignment needed checking at 2000 miles. 10k later the fronts are toast.....................

I already had an issue with it going bonkers when I first got it.........

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2007, 11:50 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mb97tts
I saw that on the menu. You put in the size of the tires, etc. Seems bogus doesn't it? If the sensors are just put in another tire the computer should just pick them up....

The reason I needed the tires is because the dealer didn't listen to me when I said the alignment needed checking at 2000 miles. 10k later the fronts are toast.....................

I already had an issue with it going bonkers when I first got it.........

Thanks!
10K is not unusual.. especially if you're in a TTS. I do get my tires rotated every 4-5K (at the dealer, yes it cost $$$) and alignment every other rotation (regardless, again $$$ at dealer). However doing this with my Diamaris on my Beta, I got almost 30K+ out of them (mostly highway).. on Continentals and Bridgestone.. only in the low teens. SADLY.. I had to get two new fronts (diamaris, which are viewed as one of the best tires) at 12K and just got the two new rears at 15K.. however, I just got an oil change and so I put new on front and semi-new to back.. and had them align as my daughter jumped a curb and arghh. got rim rash on the right side! may have that done when I take it in for the 20K service (did oil early). I've always heard that manf. original tires get less wear than replacement and we both appear to be proving that theory correct.. I will be very interested in how many miles I get on this second set.

TPMS.. pull some threads and you'll see it has been a nuisance for most everyone. Nice feature but that was the least problematic glitch of my BETA!
Old 09-19-2007, 03:14 AM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you guys are over maintaining your cars. I just rotated my tires for the first time at 11K miles. Got it done at an ARCO gas station for $15. The tires (Pirelli's) look fine. Whatever wear there is appears to be evenly distributed. Another 11K miles should be no problem.

The dealer tells me I need to bring the car in for "annual service", and rotate the tires every 5K miles. I just find it laughable.

I won't change the oil until 20K miles, which is the interval specified by the manual. If that's what the book says, there is almost certainly more tolerance built in by the engineers. From my experience, engines are usually the last thing to go out on a car. Usually it's either the rubber parts or the electrical components. That's where the real maintenance needs are.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:51 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Select a different set of tires - let it start training - then select your current rims/tires and let it finish training - hopefully it will reset itself.

BTW - the car has got to be in motion (the tires rotating) for the system to "learn" the new tires pressures.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:23 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racer_65
I think you guys are over maintaining your cars. I just rotated my tires for the first time at 11K miles. Got it done at an ARCO gas station for $15. The tires (Pirelli's) look fine. Whatever wear there is appears to be evenly distributed. Another 11K miles should be no problem.

The dealer tells me I need to bring the car in for "annual service", and rotate the tires every 5K miles. I just find it laughable.

I won't change the oil until 20K miles, which is the interval specified by the manual. If that's what the book says, there is almost certainly more tolerance built in by the engineers. From my experience, engines are usually the last thing to go out on a car. Usually it's either the rubber parts or the electrical components. That's where the real maintenance needs are.
You have to know the history of being a BETA owner and that DOES influence my current thinking with my Tit.S ... you don't do maintenance other than at the dealer because that is an excuse for them to say it isn't under warranty.. on the tires.. there was a drivetrain or steering column vibration that was discussed ad nauseum 3 years ago (see threads shimmy/vibration) where tire wear was only but one item in the saga.. To each his own.. I bought my tires at Costco and if I could trust ARCO and knew the local owner maybe.. but just a humorous FYI.. when Costco balanced the tires with the weights.. and then I went to the dealer for the alignment and oil change, the Costco weights had all fallen off. You'll hear differing opinions about oil service intervals.. I disagree that 20K is hard and fast.. depends on many factors for oil.. BUT it's a free forum so I respect your right to do as you please. Rotate without balancing seems silly however..

Quick Reply: Tire sensor/Computer question.