Sponsored by:

Brake pad workshop warning

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 04:42 PM
drkm3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brake pad workshop warning

I got a brake pad workshop warning and called the dealer. I was told that PORSCHE VERY RARELY DOES PADS ONLY and PADS,ROTORS, SENSORS & HARDWARE should be replaced. Is this true?
Thanks in advance.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:51 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You are correct the stealers will hit you with it all.

Do it your self Pads only, very easy job if your used to such work.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:22 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with mudman2.. or INSIST that they do pads only.. my dealer did.. but then apparently I have one of the best dealers in the USA.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:27 PM
mlm0505
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default agreed...

No need for rotors unless they are scored...mine weren't so i only wanted pads...

my dealer told me the same about how everything must be replaced, so I had my tire guys just do the pads...
they bought the pads from the dealer's parts desk and did the labor for cheap...
after watching them, I realized how easy it was...
don't listen to your dealer...
Old 09-11-2007, 05:39 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Question:
had my cayenne at the dealer for the 20k service--the advisor said the front brakes were at the min.specs and since the car was there i might as well have them replaced--he said the wear indicator light should come on soon---i said i'll wait until it comes on--that was 3k miles ago
my question is once the light does come on does the car have to have the brakes done right away
if other cay. owners are unaware-- front brakes are $900.---the rotors sensors and pads all have to be done.so be advised the dealers may be pushing replacing the brakes sooner than needed

Answer:
Usually it is 2 sets of pads to one set of rotors. I would ask for rotor measurements before I replaced the rotors. They do wear out rather quickly. The sensors are designed to come on way too early, at about 3 to 4 mm instead of 2mm and the pad thickness is 12mm new, so if the light comes on, you have about 30% left on your pads. You can always look thru your wheel spokes and look the pads from the center of the wheel towards the center of the caliper, you will see the brake pad material. Have the service advisor show you or a tech and you can see how much pad is left on your car. The four pads wear differently sometimes and you can only see the outer pads. But if you go 20k on one set and the light comes on you should still go probably another 2k until you replace them depending on how you drive.

Peter Smith - PCA WebSite - 2/9/2007
Old 09-11-2007, 06:18 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

I had the same thing come up and dealer showed me spec's and then measurments on my rotors and I was satisfied that it was not unreasonable for them to change the rotors along with the pads.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:41 PM
ozr
Racer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by drkm3
I got a brake pad workshop warning and called the dealer. I was told that PORSCHE VERY RARELY DOES PADS ONLY and PADS,ROTORS, SENSORS & HARDWARE should be replaced. Is this true?
Thanks in advance.
...all above comments are 100% correct...

...I would add the following...

PORSCHE AG strongly recommends to change pads WITH the rotors at the same time. That's what they say in their BOOKS/ repair maintenance technical manuals for the dealer. This MORE applicable to CarreraTTs and much LESS to Cayennes.

In reality, brake pads usually wear earlier, than rotors, and rotors STILL have life left on them.

...So...just visually check rotor thickness yourself (assuming you are car LITERATE... ) to make sure rotors are thick enough. And change this time ONLY the required pads. Also is VERY probable, that you'll need to change ONLY 2 front pads this time, but not ALL 4. Front pads wear much quicker, than rear pads.

Don't discuss this with the dealer "what to do", but TELL/direct them "what YOU want to do THIS time today". After they replace front 2 pads car itself WILL clear "brake pad workshop" warning...

...also dealer has a maintenance PORSCHE AG manual, where MIN rotor thickness requirement in mm is published (I don't remember the number). If your dealer insists on particular rotor thickness measurement, let them do that, BUT IN YOUR PRESENCE to avoid been lied/tricked...

PS. Stealers are very CREATIVE in unnecessary maintenance work generation and very often CARELESS techs at a bad dealership CREATE new problems for the next visit by damaging/disconnecting something in a car by mistake...

OZRacing
Old 09-11-2007, 06:52 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

OZ I find your avatar offensive

Old 09-11-2007, 07:19 PM
ozr
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by mudman2
OZ I find your avatar offensive

I've always loved true finnish saunas...

What do you find unacceptable with my avatar?... "relaxing after hard work day in sauna and reading the "rennlist" newspaper"?..

...If you'll insist, I'll change it to something less creative and more greyish ordinary...but I still really like it, as a lifestyle expression.

Can I keep it?...

OZRacing
Old 09-11-2007, 07:23 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Gotcha !
Old 09-11-2007, 08:32 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ozr
...all above comments are 100% correct...
Well, I'm sure Peter Smith at PCA will be happy to hear that.

Originally Posted by ozr
......also dealer has a maintenance PORSCHE AG manual, where MIN rotor thickness requirement in mm is published (I don't remember the number).
What, something else you don't know or remember or know where to find?
Impressive.....

Again, I'm sure we can all trust/believe Peter Smith from PCA......unless of course he to is one of those "OTHER" forum members.

Question:
What is the minimum thickness of the front brakes rotors?
Answer:
Here is the list for all of the Cayenne's:

Minimun Thickness of rotors:

V6:
Front 30mm
Rear 26mm

Pad Thickness: 2mm

V8 and Turbo:
Front 32mm
Rear 26mm

Turbo with Power Kit:

Front 36mm
Rear 26mm

Basically the rotor minimum thickness is 2mm thinner than new

Peter Smith - PCA WebSite - 5/10/2005
Old 09-11-2007, 11:14 PM
drkm3
Instructor

THE COST FOR FRONT BRAKES INCLUDING PADS,ROTORS, SENSORS & HARDWARE IS AROUND $950.00 + TAX & BACK BRAKES ARE AROUND 930.00 + TAX. Is this reasonable if I follow dealer's recommendation?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:14 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I have 30k on my CS and replaced the pads last week. Thickness of rotors:

F: 33.1mm
R: 27.5mm

You will need four sets of pads and warning sensors.

As a DIY, the job is about 1 hour if you move at a fair pace and 1.5 hours if you take your time.

These were the easiest brakes I have ever done.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:27 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by drkm3
THE COST FOR FRONT BRAKES INCLUDING PADS,ROTORS, SENSORS & HARDWARE IS AROUND $950.00 + TAX & BACK BRAKES ARE AROUND 930.00 + TAX. Is this reasonable if I follow dealer's recommendation?
If you want to **** away $1800 go ahead.

Here's a brief rundown of what you need:

Brake pads ~$400
Sensors ~$50
Caliper (measuring type): $30
Mechanix gloves: $20

Total: ~$500

Difference: ~$1300

Time: 1-2 hours

If your time is worth $650 to $1300 per hour, then pay and get it done.
My financial scenario showed me saving the $1300 since my time is free (according to the wife)
Old 09-12-2007, 12:39 AM
drkm3
Instructor

I guess I am doing by myself. Where is the good source for oem parts?

Quick Reply: Brake pad workshop warning