Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 06:52 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 900 Posts
Smile No worries...

Originally Posted by HD2pct
The inane comments are largely part of a huge ego trip on the part of a few of our veteran members, whom have a small but extremely loyal following. Keep in mind that most of them know quite a bit and CAN be helpful. Separate the wheat from the chaff, ignore the worthless BS that is I guess meant to be some "inside joke" to those who kneel at their feet, and you'll be fine.

Everyone here means well at the end of the day.

Be advised that ANY automatic tranny is preferable to a manual for towing - from Nissans to Jeeps to Porsches. "Towing people" know this.

Whether or not to use manual vs. automatic mode on the Cayenne Tiptronic? Your seat of the pants will tell you. It is the same as towing from the beginning of time - don't lug it, don't over-rev it. If automatic mode is not doing what you think is right, override it. Case closed.
I have no doubt that the regulars on this board are experts, or I wouldn't be here at all!

Dennis C
Old 08-27-2007, 01:04 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The inane comments are largely part of a huge ego trip on the part of a few of our veteran members, whom have a small but extremely loyal following. Keep in mind that most of them know quite a bit and CAN be helpful. Separate the wheat from the chaff, ignore the worthless BS that is I guess meant to be some "inside joke" to those who kneel at their feet, and you'll be fine. .
Inane comments? Huge ego trip? Small but loyal following? Inside jokes?

I am relatively new to the forum world.. Rennlist and RoadFly are the only places that I check out and participate because I had a Beta that was at the dealer every month for years. I would have sold the car and written off Porsche had it not been for this forum and being able to guide a very reputable and good dealer through the myriad of problems from the experience of others. I do not play on-line games, don't visit any other of my hobbies blogs, websites, etc. I visit this every day or two sometimes more because I'm always curious to see what is going on and/or is there a problem lurking out there that may impact me and my second iteration of a Cayenne.

Frankly, I don't see how typing witty or sarcastic or insightful comments on a forum is an ego trip. Maybe I'm missing something but since this is mostly an anonymous world how does your ego get "tripped" if no one knows who you really are (for the most part, yes, I know some here have met other members). To me, the great part of this forum is the banter and jokes and love/hate relationship with Porsche and our Cayennes.. if this was a stale Q and A forum where no personality existed and all you did was ask someone for advice and then it was provided... once your problem was solved there would be ZERO reasons to hang and possibly learn more. The fact that there is ENTERTAINMENT value with the "inside jokes" and sarcasm brings me back and every now and again I learn some more useful info on my 06 Tit.S (which has been flawless to date).

Lighten up.. Life is too short to have your panties in a twist.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:40 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Default Alpha... Beta...

I've heard lots of talk about the Beta version of the car, as you mention above. What does this mean? What was the difference in the versions? How do I know which one I have?

Thanks,

Dennis
Old 08-27-2007, 10:29 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I've heard lots of talk about the Beta version of the car, as you mention above. What does this mean? What was the difference in the versions? How do I know which one I have? Thanks, Dennis
No problem.. maybe a lot of newer folks will read along with you. In the software world, when new software is being "de-bugged", they release versions ahead of the general release to find the "bugs" or "glitches" in the software (think the infamous blue screen in Windows). The first release is called the alpha version and it normally has quite a few bugs, those that use the software know that it is an alpha version and are required/requested to submit details as to how/when the software failure occurred. The beta version is supposed to be a better release than the alpha and again, users submit where/when/how they had a failure. This used to be a huge problem for software developers but now they have employees and friends use the software through these stages and for the most part, software when it is released is mostly "bug free".

Okay. You may have known the above but that now takes us to the Porsche Cayenne. The vehicle was first sold in early CY03 (Feb/March) as a MY03 - these are what we call the alphas. There are not many 2003 Cayennes out there and for the most part, they've enjoyed (oops, here's that sarcasm) nearly every single glitch/problem known to exist on the Cayenne. A few changes were made in the first few months of production based on some of the known problems at the factory; however, the model year was changed in (april/may) simply because it was so late in the year and many manf. introduce a new model year early. Thus, 2004 models were then called Betas.

To fully appreciate this terminology, you'd really have to know how many glitches and problems there were. In all candor, I was at the dealer over 40 DOCUMENTED times in 41 months of owning my Beta. Never left me stranded but the glitches/problems were an incredible nuisance. Porsche should have never released the car before working out so many of the problems. They permanently seared their loyal base of P-car-philes with the problems.

Now, boys and girls..... that's the rest of the story and Grandpa MadFox will tuck you into bed tonight... then he's headed to the bar.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:19 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The inane comments are largely part of a huge ego trip on the part of a few of our veteran members, whom have a small but extremely loyal following. Keep in mind that most of them know quite a bit and CAN be helpful. Separate the wheat from the chaff, ignore the worthless BS that is I guess meant to be some "inside joke" to those who kneel at their feet, and you'll be fine...
Who are you referring to?
Old 08-27-2007, 12:46 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Old 08-27-2007, 01:19 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Default Mine shows a manufacture date of 04/2004...

Originally Posted by MadFox
No problem.. maybe a lot of newer folks will read along with you. In the software world, when new software is being "de-bugged", they release versions ahead of the general release to find the "bugs" or "glitches" in the software (think the infamous blue screen in Windows). The first release is called the alpha version and it normally has quite a few bugs, those that use the software know that it is an alpha version and are required/requested to submit details as to how/when the software failure occurred. The beta version is supposed to be a better release than the alpha and again, users submit where/when/how they had a failure. This used to be a huge problem for software developers but now they have employees and friends use the software through these stages and for the most part, software when it is released is mostly "bug free".

Okay. You may have known the above but that now takes us to the Porsche Cayenne. The vehicle was first sold in early CY03 (Feb/March) as a MY03 - these are what we call the alphas. There are not many 2003 Cayennes out there and for the most part, they've enjoyed (oops, here's that sarcasm) nearly every single glitch/problem known to exist on the Cayenne. A few changes were made in the first few months of production based on some of the known problems at the factory; however, the model year was changed in (april/may) simply because it was so late in the year and many manf. introduce a new model year early. Thus, 2004 models were then called Betas.

To fully appreciate this terminology, you'd really have to know how many glitches and problems there were. In all candor, I was at the dealer over 40 DOCUMENTED times in 41 months of owning my Beta. Never left me stranded but the glitches/problems were an incredible nuisance. Porsche should have never released the car before working out so many of the problems. They permanently seared their loyal base of P-car-philes with the problems.

Now, boys and girls..... that's the rest of the story and Grandpa MadFox will tuck you into bed tonight... then he's headed to the bar.
Hopefully my Beta Cayenne avoided some of the early problems. With about 27,000 miles on the odometer, it has had nothing other than routine maintenance and tires. I've certainly taken note of your issues and others here, and I'll be on the lookout for them.

I initially planned to buy a new 2007 Boxster or a lightly used 911, but I decided to wait a couple of years for that one. The Cayenne will be my daily driver for the next couple of years.

Thanks for the information!

Dennis
Old 08-27-2007, 08:59 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

The inane comments are largely part of a huge ego trip on the part of a few of our veteran members, whom have a small but extremely loyal following. Keep in mind that most of them know quite a bit and CAN be helpful. Separate the wheat from the chaff, ignore the worthless BS that is I guess meant to be some "inside joke" to those who kneel at their feet, and you'll be fine..
Still waiting to see who you were referring to.....
Old 08-28-2007, 12:48 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Still waiting to see who you were referring to.....
This could be interesting.... taunting!
Old 08-28-2007, 07:55 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

The inane comments are largely part of a huge ego trip on the part of a few of our veteran members, whom have a small but extremely loyal following. Keep in mind that most of them know quite a bit and CAN be helpful. Separate the wheat from the chaff, ignore the worthless BS that is I guess meant to be some "inside joke" to those who kneel at their feet, and you'll be fine..
No rush, take your time......I'm fairly certain that "a few of our veteran members" are looking forward to you 'naming names'.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:05 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Still having trouble coming up with the names?

No problem.

Would you like to use one of your Lifelines and either ask the forum audience, or would you like to perhaps phone a friend?

Take your time......
Old 08-29-2007, 12:47 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default i say, i say, i say...

did someone call?
Old 08-31-2007, 12:09 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Still waiting for those names.....anytime would be good.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:42 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Oh, come on now, how hard can this be?

You must have been thinking of these individuls when you took the time to type your post, so why not let the rest of the class in on the secret?
Old 09-07-2007, 10:04 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Impressive case of amnesia. Obviously you have no recollection of actually typing this?

Quick Reply: Cayenne Purchase Advise