Sponsored by:

08 & MP3

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 09:29 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 08 & MP3

here is a quote from a posting on another site. Any 08 owners aware of this backward step ?

Hello Mr.XXXXXX,

Thanks for the question. Where on the porsche.com website did you see that the sound system is MP3 compatible? I apologize if there was a miscommunication between you and your dealer regarding this, but the system does not play MP3s. You do have the option of having another system installed that would be compatible, but you will need to speak with the dealer about that. If you have any questions, please don't hestitate to call.

Best Regards,

Porsche General Response Team
(800) Porsche, Option 5

07/14/2007 10:09 AM
Please respond to pulse211

To:
cc:
Subject: Porsche - Dialog - CDR23 Bose and MP3 CD's

I just bought a 2008 Cayenne with the Bose system, CD changer and the CDR23 radio (with single CD player). Although this website and my dealer assured my that the new sound systems were MP3 compatible, my car will not play MP3 CD's or Data Discs with MP3's on them. Do the '08's play MP3 CD's (180 songs) or not?

And here is my response:

Dear Porsche,

Here is the link to YOUR website. http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/ca...s/?gtabindex=6 Note that under "Communication" it says, (and I'm pasting the text) "AM/FM/CD radio with MP3-compatible CD drive for audio CDs"

Obviously, this is an error and in my case, generated an interest, based on a promotion that I relied on.

Can you think of a remedy, because I sure can. Porsche USA should install the "optional system" that complies with the advertised specs at no charge to me.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:48 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 07-16-2007, 09:53 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Well put !
Old 07-16-2007, 09:57 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

5 minutes.....what took you so long? I would have thought that my forum house confinement ankle bracelet would have set off the alarms much more quickly.

P.S. You already know why it is not MP3 capable......don't you?
Old 07-16-2007, 10:00 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

When the alarm went off I was on the .........
Old 07-16-2007, 10:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Sorry to have interupted.....
Old 07-16-2007, 10:24 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

On the basis that someone may wish to "change history" here is a pdf of the website info referred to in the thread

Old 07-16-2007, 11:09 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
P.S. You already know why it is not MP3 capable......don't you?
Do tell!

How many MBAs does it take to not include a feature that all Kias have now?
Old 07-17-2007, 08:29 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by amaist
Do tell!
How many MBAs does it take to not include a feature that all Kias have now?
You're looking at the problem backwards.

As has been stated MANY times before, people still end up buying the vehicles and bitching all the way (Bluetooth, MP3, iPod interface, etc), don't they?
Old 07-17-2007, 10:23 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
You're looking at the problem backwards.

As has been stated MANY times before, people still end up buying the vehicles and bitching all the way (Bluetooth, MP3, iPod interface, etc), don't they?
Is it really cheaper to source non MP3 capable head units now? That is like trying to stuff a vinyl record player in the car now. I think someone just wants to play more golf instead of doing the work of sourcing a cheaper and better part.

It would be fun to speak to one of those guys who made that decision.

As I understand the real solution is to rip out both the head unit and the amp and maybe the speakers and do everything right from the ground up if you want an aftermarket solution, right?
Old 07-17-2007, 12:34 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Thank you Larry for mentioning that dreaded word that does not exist in the Porsche vocabulary: "Bluetooth"
Old 07-17-2007, 01:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by pdxjim
Thank you Larry for mentioning that dreaded word that does not exist in the Porsche vocabulary: "Bluetooth"
You're welcome
BTW, it exists (both the word and the product offering), there is just no need to offer it.....the cars sell without it.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:31 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Talking

Originally Posted by amaist
Is it really cheaper to source non MP3 capable head units now? That is like trying to stuff a vinyl record player in the car now. I think someone just wants to play more golf instead of doing the work of sourcing a cheaper and better part.

It would be fun to speak to one of those guys who made that decision.

As I understand the real solution is to rip out both the head unit and the amp and maybe the speakers and do everything right from the ground up if you want an aftermarket solution, right?
The late 05 and 06 models could play MP3's, the real question is why the removal of a exisiting production feature. Becker had a warehouse full of beta units due to lower than expected failure rates and sold them to PAG for E1 each !
Old 07-17-2007, 05:31 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mudman2
The late 05 and 06 models could play MP3's, the real question is why the removal of a exisiting production feature. Becker had a warehouse full of beta units due to lower than expected failure rates and sold them to PAG for E1 each !
not to differ with the all mighty moderator..... but --------- I think the real question is: if it is on their website and this fella was told it had that capability, what is PAG going to do about it? I'd get something out of it .... even if it's just trinkets from the parts dept. Agree?
Old 07-17-2007, 05:59 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MadFox
....I think the real question is: if it is on their website and this fella was told it had that capability, what is PAG going to do about it?
Ahem, the website also mentions/shows towing.......what is PAG going to do about "lighting compatibility and/or "!" Beep Check Trailer Lights"?

Originally Posted by MadFox
....I'd get something out of it .... even if it's just trinkets from the parts dept. Agree?
It would appear as though PAG/PCNA is not a philanthropic enterprise any longer.....sagging sales/profits/Dr W spending spree/buying VW/upgrading Leipzig for Panamera.....

Quick Reply: 08 & MP3