PIWIS tester vs Durametric

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PIWIS tester vs Durametric

Can anyone explain for me the advantage of Piwis versus this: http://www.durametric.com/buy.aspx

I am posting this on several Rennlist forums (perhaps, incorrectly).
Old 07-10-2007, 04:48 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

PIWIS has full factory support and access to some functions which are 'private'.
It MAY be a matter of time before Durametric et. al. discover how to access these 'private' areas.....but I'm certain once they do and PCNA finds out, the dogs will be released from the legal department.
PIWIS is also ridiculously expensive, requiring VERY frequent S/W updates.

That having been said, the Durametric tool does allow you to avoid some visits to your dealer for simple items. An excellent tool for the DIY type.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:32 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PIWIS can do more than 50 times what the Durametric software can do - and the Durametric software can easily do 20 times what a standard code reader can do.

The Durametric software is very good and so far all the updates have been free.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:34 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ltc/Loren: Is there anything available short of PIWIC that will reprogram/reconfigure? or is that swimming in dangerous waters?
Old 07-11-2007, 04:45 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Depending on what you are trying to do when you say 'reconfigure'......dangerous waters.

With PIWIS, you can, in theory, download a new code image to any module that is on a bus (via internal gateways) in the vehicle.

So, you could reprogram your ECU, reprogram your audio infotainment system, etc.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:03 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One caveat to add on to what Itc said.
"So, you could reprogram your ECU, reprogram your audio infotainment system, etc." -- with any existing (Porsche) program. So, no custom programing outside of Porsche's preset limits.

Also, to put the two tools in perspective...
The PIWIS is leased from Porsche for $18,000 for the first year and $11,000 for each year after.
The Durametric Software is $247 for a 3 car package.

I have the Durametric Software and a (used) PST2 that I paid $3600 for. The PST2 is the predecessor to PIWIS and it can not program cars after MY2004 and has limited programming for Cayenne.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:28 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Loren
One caveat to add on to what Itc said.
"So, you could reprogram your ECU, reprogram your audio infotainment system, etc." -- with any existing (Porsche) program. So, no custom programing outside of Porsche's preset limits.
True, however, IF you wanted to download a non-Porsche provided S/W image into a module (say an audio amplifier....if you happened to know enough about it to actually reprogram it ), then you could use PIWIS to accomplish the task.
No idea why you would want to, except perhaps if you wanted the audio system to wakup on activity (say, opening the door), and then have the audio system reproduce the sound of someone sitting on a 'whoopie cushion',....hmmn, sounds like something Larry could definitely have done
Old 07-11-2007, 11:15 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 936 Likes on 567 Posts

I have the Durametric and it is handy for checking subsystems on the vehicle but you can't "change" stuff like the VAG-COM system can do on VW-Audi products. It did come in handy lately when my son bought a '06 Cayman as we could check all the systems for any codes etc.

It's a handy tool to have and as Loren said, the updates are free. They didn't have ability to check the PASM when I got it and when I requested it they sent me an upgrade with it for free. They have pretty quick support response...

Wish it did do more as the VAG-COM is VERY handy with my other vehicles...
Old 07-14-2007, 02:10 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Raptor
s there anything available short of PIWIC that will reprogram/reconfigure?
THIS will work but it will cost you $100 to get the programming code for your VIN from PCNA.

Originally Posted by skl
VAG-COM is VERY handy with my other vehicles...
I remember a little birdy saying something about unofficially working with the Cayenne. This was before MY06 but you still might want to give it a try or look around for whatever flags that would need to be set to get it to work.

Quick Reply: PIWIS tester vs Durametric