Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alpha/Beta Owners help PAG to #1 in JDPower again.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 01:17 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alpha/Beta Owners help PAG to #1 in JDPower again.

Say what you will about us Cayenne former and current Alpha/Beta "bitchers", we did force PAG to pay attention to defects "out the door" and to that end Porsche was number one in initial 90 day quality for the second year in a row. QUOTE from JDPower website (www.jdpower.com):
"For the second consecutive year, Porsche tops the overall nameplate rankings, averaging 91 PP100. Following in the rankings are Lexus, Lincoln, Honda and Mercedes-Benz, respectively. Honda, with the fewest problems per 100 among non-premium brands, improves in the ranking to fourth from sixth since the 2006 study and earns awards with the Civic and CR-V."

By the way, the 2006 Cayenne was Highest Ranked in Midsize Premium Multi-Activity Vehicle Segment (in a tie).

So, all the newbies here can hopefully understand why the alpha/beta guys were so peeved at the "attitude" of Porsche during the first year when dealers were NOT used to hearing of problems and had upset customers and thought we were all full of SH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (with apologies to Larry).
Attached Images   
Old 06-07-2007, 01:28 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Somehow, if Larry were still amongst the living, I don't think he'd be impressed:
1. It's still more of a VAG product that PAG (65%/85%....depending on whether you look at VAG parts content or labor)
2. It's only the initial 90 day. Even the betas were OK for the first 90 days.....
3. Lipstick on a pig.

That having been said, even with the major decline in sales, it's still an overproduced, highly depreciating vehicle.
I look forward to the day it's dropped from the Porsche lineup, but much like Larry, I don't think I'll live long enough to see that either.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:40 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If only these excellent results for the '06 model year would translate into value being preserved for the owners.

KBB tells me that my 2006 Cayenne S (isn't it only 2007?) is worth $33,000 in "good condition" and only $29,000 in "fair condition."

That is a ton of depreciation for a car with a $73K sticker purchased only about 18 months ago.

My 993 C2S is another story altogether. Although it's 10 years old, it appears to be worth about 75% of what it stickered at as a new car in 1997.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:42 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default call me a cynic

but how many cars were in the "Midsize Premium Multi-Activity Vehicle Segment"?

jdpower's site was down, but these are the people who have a statistic for everone. "highest rated black car built in germany on a tuesday that we tested on the 24th at 3pm" type statistics.

according to CR, the cayenne went from "much worse than average" to "worse than average". i trust CR more than jdpowers.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:59 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by rome
If only these excellent results for the '06 model year would translate into value being preserved for the owners..
KBB tells me that my 2006 Cayenne S (isn't it only 2007?) is worth $33,000 in "good condition" and only $29,000 in "fair condition."
Please recall Larry explaining the PAG/PCNA business model......overproduction yields an ample supply of low cost/highly depreciated CPO vehicles to attract first time Porsche owners. Cayenne, Carrera, Boxster.....same model.

That is a ton of depreciation for a car with a $73K sticker purchased only about 18 months ago..
See above.

My 993 C2S is another story altogether. Although it's 10 years old, it appears to be worth about 75% of what it stickered at as a new car in 1997.
A 993 is a Porsche, the Cayenne is a Touareg/VAG....class dismissed.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:12 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by droptop
jdpower's site was down, but these are the people who have a statistic for everone. "highest rated black car built in germany on a tuesday that we tested on the 24th at 3pm" type statistics. according to CR, the cayenne went from "much worse than average" to "worse than average". i trust CR more than jdpowers.
ahhhhhhh, your cynicism is peeking out of your zipper..... I don't think it is perfect but I don't trust CR a whole lot either... actually feel that in electronics and the like that they miss the mark all to often.. to each his own..

but, having said that.. my practical experience is now 12,000K+ miles and 9 months of ownership. In a word, "Bulletproof". My 2006 Tit.S appears to support and merit the highest rating( and the other folks who've posted here seem to concur). I posted in another thread that at this point.. ALL of the "core" issues had already started to manifest themselves in my BETA with the monthly visits to the service dept. by now!

All that being said... SUV's and MAV's are taking big hits because of GAS CONSUMPTION and the "used" market not wanting to buy lower EPA mileage vehicles... if the fuel "crisis" (which really isn't one.. build a refinery or two.. but I digress), then again, I see folks who buy CPO '06's cheap now will look pretty smart... if fuel goes even higher then there is justification in lower used SUV pricing (unless it's a hybrid... but then, I digress again!).
Old 06-07-2007, 10:12 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Also discussed in the OT forum:
https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topic/357590-ford-top-quality.html

Hmmn, Ford got the most awards.....interesting.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:57 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Also discussed in the OT forum:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357590

Hmmn, Ford got the most awards.....interesting.
Ford tops.. "et troo.. et troo!" Thus, one would think you'd proudly add the Ford Tow Vehicle to your livery listing!?
Old 06-08-2007, 12:24 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Trying to keep the sig Porsche/Rennlist relevant.

Besides, Alex has already won the Rennlist Lifetime Achievement Award for the single longest sig in Rennlist history.....at one point it was nearly half a screen long.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:34 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 889 Likes on 538 Posts

Hey, my PSD is in my sig!!!! (did notice Ford did pretty well in that latest survey- my '08 PSD seems to be put together pretty well and I haven't had many USA products over the years...)

Quick Reply: Alpha/Beta Owners help PAG to #1 in JDPower again.