Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shopping for Cayenne Extended Warranty...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 04:25 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Shopping for Cayenne Extended Warranty...

I am looking at purchasing an extended warranty for my 2004 Cayenne S (fully loaded thus why I want the warranty) and am looking for a company to purchase this warranty from...

My original warranty drops dead March 2008 so said date is approaching - if a warranty is too much might go for a new vehicle but I really want to keep the Cayenne...

Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 05-28-2007, 04:48 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

mercury insurance, about $4k to 100,000
Old 05-28-2007, 05:42 PM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

Try your Credit Union they sell them. I have one for my CTT currenty with 23000 miles over the three years of owership. My new extended warranty is for 75,000 miles or 84 months from this month cost was just under $3K for their Gold care policy (covers everything but wear items brakes , battery, ect). My manufactures warranty ends Sep. 2008. For the miles I drive on this Cayenne that was the best for me. If I have one failure in the future it will pay for it self. The Deductable is $200.00. I hope that this helps you.

Last edited by C4SJOHN; 05-28-2007 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:19 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll check with "Navy Federal Credit Union" and see if they have one to offer - if not Mercury Insurance "4k" for "100k" sounds like a pretty good deal!

Mudman2 - how many years goes along with that "100k mileage" warranty?

Old 05-29-2007, 12:23 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

MudMan2 - Went to "Mercury Insurance's" web site and they don't have an office in Maryland - think I can still get the extended coverage or do you think I need to swap my auto insurance policy over to them as well?

Any other suggestions?
Old 05-29-2007, 11:21 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

You should not as the two things are not connected. I would call them up and ask for the name of an agent.

Mine is 4 years up to 100K
Old 05-29-2007, 11:43 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JFScheck
My original warranty drops dead March 2008 so said date is approaching - if a warranty is too much might go for a new vehicle but I really want to keep the Cayenne... Anyone have any suggestions?
Since you're a Beta owner... you know my experience on ext. warranties. Great company 12 years on the net, web-assured, BBB approved.. blah blah.. then Hawaii put it out of business.. so on my Tit.S, I've said it before that I wanted to buy mine from my dealer (a good one) and that way if the ext. warranty company fails, I've got the dealer as their rep. to fall back on. DESPITE what most people think, an ext. warranty IS NEGOTIABLE as commissions are high. My dealer sold me a policy that is $200 deductible and bumper/bumper (be sure to see exclusions listed) to 100K and 84 months for $3800 (included is tire coverage, electronics EVERYthing). In fact, I had a leaking tire.. drove to the dealer (requirement for dealer to do the tire) and end up that it "blew out" on the way. Totally insured (no deductible on tire failures if tread life left). Saved me $350+ just withthat. I'll edit this with the company name shortly..

... but point is don't forget your dealer.. they can be competitive if you bring in competing viable competitor policies.. then you have the added "security" that if something does happen to the ext. warr. company, you're "covered"!
Old 05-29-2007, 11:51 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

My dealer would not sell me a warranty, in fact they do not sell any warranties.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:48 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Luckily Rockville Porsche-Audi does sell warranties so hopefully with the info I am getting here I will hit them up first (just in case the company I purchase the warranty from goes belly up).

Mudman - checking on Mercury now...

MadFox - let me know when you get the name of that company...

Thanks guys!
Old 05-29-2007, 07:07 PM
sigs
Racer

The following is for extended warranty neophytes only. All others will be bored to tears:

Agree with MadFox's emphasis on the "negotiable" part. Haven't started this discussion with my dealer, yet, as I was hoping that the favorable reports on '05 reliability would mean an eventual drop in price. However, if I keep mine, I'll definitely be shopping for a warranty in a couple of years.

I typically get extended warranties on my more expensive cars, as I tend to keep them a while. But you have to separate the general discussion of such warranties into the "factory extended warranty" vs. the "third-party warranty," which usually is just underwritten by an insurance company. When possible, I have always purchased factory extended warranties. Since it is from the manufacturer, you don't have to worry (usually) about it going belly up, and it will be honored at any dealer, with no out-of-pocket, except the deductible. It also doesn't matter where you buy it. My local Lexus dealer would not negotiate AT ALL on a factory extended warranty for the wife's car. Their quoted price was actually HIGHER than the price you could get ordering it directly from the Lexus website. Got on some Lexus forums and found a Toyota dealer (yes, Toyota dealers can sell Lexus factory warranties) in Massachusetts who was selling them for a huge discount - about 40% off, IIRC.

However, if it is a third-party warranty, as in this case, MadFox has an excellent point, backed by his own personal nightmare, that it might well be worth a few extra bucks to work with a local dealer who is more likely to back you up if the insurance company craps out on you.

Good luck and let us know the result.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:33 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Luckily Rockville Porsche-Audi does sell warranties so hopefully with the info I am getting here I will hit them up first (just in case the company I purchase the warranty from goes belly up). MadFox - let me know when you get the name of that company...
Hey John: Got the info out of my Tit.S and am at home. The compay is called Easy Care. The basic package was around $3600.. I forgot that I bought the "Total" and "Gold" packages with a $200 deductible which include PCM/Nav and other accessories which bumped to right at $3900. It is for 84 months (7 years for the math challenged) and 100K miles. It will "kick in" after 4 years/50K miles of PAG waranty with some notable exceptions. With the total package, I have the following coverage from day 1:
1. Tire and Wheel damage (rims be expensive) from any road hazard.. as stated earlier, I got a major league hole from something in tire and resulted in blowout enroute dealer.. totally covered tire.
2. Transferable if I decide to bail on the car.
3. Trip Interruption for food/lodging up to $100/Day for up to 3 days if you're over 50 miles from home. If I had this with Beta when I had a blowout coming back from Master's it would have bought dinner for two of us, while we waited for 5 hours.
4. Roadside assistance from their provider (if 1800-PORSCHE can't get to you)

Total and Gold are the highest level and specific limited exclusions as opposed to "what's covered" section like other warranties. And the exclusions are what you'd expect ... cardan shaft would be covered for example post-warranty, also A/C and Bose, etc.

Hope this helps.. one last thing.. most companies require that you be more than 1K miles and 60 days from expiration of manf. warranty. Plus, it was cheaper because they have very little exposure for 4 years and get the investment use of the money.. so I'm not sure that you can get a comparable price for the warranty a few months ahead of your "naked-ness" date!
Old 05-30-2007, 11:54 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

You guys are GREAT!!!!

Because of this info I just finished speaking with my dealer and pretty much got MadFox's package (not quite as good of a deal) with the following:

Additional 48 months
or 48,000 miles

Same options as MadFoxes Total/Gold (little bit smaller deductable).

MUST be 60 days and 5,000 miles left on warranty before signing up (no problem for me)

Good at any Porsche dealer in the states (nice since we will be moving out to Steamboat Springs in 2-4 years)...

And I won't be naked!!!

Old 05-30-2007, 12:58 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

You guys are GREAT!!!! Because of this info I just finished speaking with my dealer and pretty much got MadFox's package (not quite as good of a deal) with the following.............. And I won't be naked!!!
Congrats... sounds like a good deal as I've seen where low deductible ext. warranties near the end of manf. warranty can get pretty pricey. So well done!

As the Late Larry would say (R.I.P.), "If you decide to keep a damn Alpha or Beta then don't be naked and dump at 99,999 miles!"

With a Beta, John, a cardan shaft may be in your future and it runs $2-3K depending on the "stealer" (so if that happens and as ltc would say, "likely", then your ext. warranty nearly pays for itself right there). As you may remember I had a cardan shaft failure about 10K after my warranty and PAG ate 50% as goodwill and so did the dealer. Another reason why I bought the ext. warr. thru the dealership.
Originally Posted by mudman2
My dealer would not sell me a warranty, in fact they do not sell any warranties.
Mudman2: Weird dealer, ext. warranties are an extremely profitable endeavor for most dealers (just like the finance dept.). Wonder why they don't offer? Lawsuits from failed companies shut down by Hawaii???
Old 05-30-2007, 01:17 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MadFox
Mudman2: Weird dealer, ext. warranties are an extremely profitable endeavor for most dealers (just like the finance dept.). Wonder why they don't offer? Lawsuits from failed companies shut down by Hawaii???

TooFunny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Old 05-30-2007, 08:16 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Great deal John congrats, as for you Alan I could just kick you in the **** hahahaaha

Quick Reply: Shopping for Cayenne Extended Warranty...